Problem with Mach2 #APCC #Absolute_Encoders #Mach2GTO

David Johnson

I have a serious problem with my mount.  I imaged all last night, using APPM, with no apparent issues.  However, when I tried to do a Park 3 this morning, the mount acts like it is trying to Park, but it doesn't slew and apparently parks in place.  I have tried shutting down the computer and mount numerous times with no change.  The mount will connect to APCC, initialize, and manually slew using the arrows, but it won't do much else.  It will not park in any of the standard positions, acting as I described above, always parking in place.  Also, if I try to do a Home on the AE tab, it says that homing has failed.  It's obvious the mount doesn't know where it's pointing, because it says it's at a negative altitude, when the mount is clearly not.  Also, it says it's CW up, when it's clearly not.  The following may or may not be pertinent, but I figure it's better to give too much information than not enough to avoid back and forth.  The "ENC" button in the Telescope Position area is not lit.,  I'm getting time-out Comm error, although the fact that I am able to manually slew using the arrows shows that there is at least some communication between the mount and computer.  I'll make a zipped log file available as soon as I can get it transferred.

David Johnson

Here’s a link to the zipped log file.  The problem started this morning around 0700, as far as I can tell

Bill Long

Do you have a keypad to test?

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> on behalf of David Johnson <dajohns37@...>
Sent: Saturday, March 27, 2021 8:30 AM
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io>
Subject: [ap-gto] Problem with Mach2 #Mach2GTO #APCC #Absolute_Encoders

I have a serious problem with my mount.  I imaged all last night, using APPM, with no apparent issues.  However, when I tried to do a Park 3 this morning, the mount acts like it is trying to Park, but it doesn't slew and apparently parks in place.  I have tried shutting down the computer and mount numerous times with no change.  The mount will connect to APCC, initialize, and manually slew using the arrows, but it won't do much else.  It will not park in any of the standard positions, acting as I described above, always parking in place.  Also, if I try to do a Home on the AE tab, it says that homing has failed.  It's obvious the mount doesn't know where it's pointing, because it says it's at a negative altitude, when the mount is clearly not.  Also, it says it's CW up, when it's clearly not.  The following may or may not be pertinent, but I figure it's better to give too much information than not enough to avoid back and forth.  The "ENC" button in the Telescope Position area is not lit.,  I'm getting time-out Comm error, although the fact that I am able to manually slew using the arrows shows that there is at least some communication between the mount and computer.  I'll make a zipped log file available as soon as I can get it transferred.

David Johnson

Yes, same problem with the Keypad.  I can slew using the arrows, but it will not park.

Bill Long

What is your power source?

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> on behalf of David Johnson <dajohns37@...>
Sent: Saturday, March 27, 2021 9:41 AM
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] Problem with Mach2 #Mach2GTO #APCC #Absolute_Encoders

Yes, same problem with the Keypad.  I can slew using the arrows, but it will not park.

David Johnson

Adapter that came with the mount - same one I’ve been using since I got it.

Bill Long

So your using the 24v power brick and not a battery, etc?

Sent: Saturday, March 27, 2021 9:45 AM

Adapter that came with the mount - same one I’ve been using since I got it.

David Johnson

Yes

Bill Long

Can you see the LED light color from the back side of the RA axis? Might need to cover it to get it dark enough to view it. 

Sent: Saturday, March 27, 2021 9:50 AM

Yes

David Johnson

Can't see anything, and it's not practical to cover it sufficiently where it is this time of day.  I'm not even sure where to look, since I've never noticed it before. 

Playing with the mount further, it does look like the problem is with RA.  DEC values change as expected when slewing, but the RA value does not change when slewing E and W.

Bill Long

Yeah if it's too bright you wont see it. The read heads have an LED on them. Blue and green are good, yellow and red mean problem. Was hoping you could see that color. I can see the glow of it when it's dark enough.

Does sound like something is up with the encoder. Did you try reconnecting the motor cables?

Sent: Saturday, March 27, 2021 10:29 AM

Can't see anything, and it's not practical to cover it sufficiently where it is this time of day.  I'm not even sure where to look, since I've never noticed it before. 

Playing with the mount further, it does look like the problem is with RA.  DEC values change as expected when slewing, but the RA value does not change when slewing E and W.

David Johnson

Yes.  I doubt that’s the problem, anyway, since the mount slews in both RA and Dec fine.

Bill Long

Yeah sounds like a call to AP is in order. When it gets later check for that LED color.

Sent: Saturday, March 27, 2021 1:05 PM

Yes.  I doubt that’s the problem, anyway, since the mount slews in both RA and Dec fine.

Ray Gralak

Hi David,

From your log files it looks like there was a problem communicating with the mount, which is why APCC and/or the driver were not always able to show correct status.

Some things to try:

* If you are using USB through a USB hub, instead, try using a single cable from the computer to the mount.

* Reboot the computer.

* Use a different connection (e.g. Ethernet)

-Ray

-----Original Message-----
From: main@ap-gto.groups.io [mailto:main@ap-gto.groups.io] On Behalf Of David Johnson
Sent: Saturday, March 27, 2021 8:31 AM
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Subject: [ap-gto] Problem with Mach2 #Mach2GTO #APCC #Absolute_Encoders

I have a serious problem with my mount. I imaged all last night, using APPM, with no apparent issues. However,
when I tried to do a Park 3 this morning, the mount acts like it is trying to Park, but it doesn't slew and apparently
parks in place. I have tried shutting down the computer and mount numerous times with no change. The mount will
connect to APCC, initialize, and manually slew using the arrows, but it won't do much else. It will not park in any of
the standard positions, acting as I described above, always parking in place. Also, if I try to do a Home on the AE
tab, it says that homing has failed. It's obvious the mount doesn't know where it's pointing, because it says it's at a
negative altitude, when the mount is clearly not. Also, it says it's CW up, when it's clearly not. The following may or
may not be pertinent, but I figure it's better to give too much information than not enough to avoid back and forth.
The "ENC" button in the Telescope Position area is not lit., I'm getting time-out Comm error, although the fact that I
am able to manually slew using the arrows shows that there is at least some communication between the mount
and computer. I'll make a zipped log file available as soon as I can get it transferred.

David Johnson

I’ll try that, but it doesn’t explain why I couldn’t do a park with the keypad.

Ray Gralak

Low voltage or an intermittent power connection to the mount could explain everything.

Double check all the power connections to make sure nothing is loose.

-Ray

-----Original Message-----
From: main@ap-gto.groups.io [mailto:main@ap-gto.groups.io] On Behalf Of David Johnson
Sent: Saturday, March 27, 2021 4:18 PM
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io

Seb@stro

Out of curiosity, is there one status led for both encoders or one by axis? 

I could find a led under the RA axis (kind of lighting the serial #) but haven’t found any on the Dec axis.

Le 27 mars 2021 à 17:37, Bill Long <bill@...> a écrit :

Yeah sounds like a call to AP is in order. When it gets later check for that LED color.

Bill Long

Usually one per axis.

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> on behalf of Seb@stro <sebastiendore1@...>
Sent: Saturday, March 27, 2021 4:59 PM

I could find a led under the RA axis (kind of lighting the serial #) but haven’t found any on the Dec axis.

Bill Long

The LED is on the read heads on my 1100. Not sure if the Mach 2 is different. I'd assume not. It's much later now so maybe David can see the RA one soon.

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> on behalf of Bill Long <bill@...>
Sent: Saturday, March 27, 2021 5:05 PM

Usually one per axis.

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> on behalf of Seb@stro <sebastiendore1@...>
Sent: Saturday, March 27, 2021 4:59 PM

David Johnson

Looks kind of bluish green.