Topics

Problem Getting APPM to connect to TheSkyX

Lee Dodge

Ray Gralak (or others),

A fellow named Jeff Kraehnke wrote to the forum in June, 2020 with the concern that he could not get APPM to talk with TheSkyX.  He was getting an ActiveX error.  I have exactly the same problem.

You said the solution was as follows:
"Usually you can fix this by running both SkyX Pro and a client application (e.g. APPM) "as administrator" and connecting APPM to SkyX's add in camera control. You can Shut both down and rerun them normally (i.e. not "as administrator") and APPM should now be able to connect."

Mr. Kraehnke reported that your suggestion fixed his problem.  I would like to try this on my computer, but I don't know how to run APPM as administrator.  I know how to run APCC as administrator, but I don't know how to get to APPM to run it as administrator.  I thought APPM might be a subprogram under APCC?

Thanks,
Lee

Howard Hedlund

APPM can be opened from either the button in APCC, or the Windows Programs Menu under Astro-Physics / APCC Pro /.   To run as administrator, use the link in the Windows Program menu and right click on it.  Then select Run as Administrator.

Lee Dodge

Thanks Howard.  Your suggestion worked for letting me run APPM as administrator.  Sorry for my ignorance with Windows 10.

I hope to make it out to the observatory to check it out this evening.  It now does allow me to get APPM to connect to TheSkyX Pro camera, where in the past I was getting an ActiveX error at that point, so I am optimistic.

Thanks,
Lee

On Wed, Sep 16, 2020 at 3:39 PM Howard Hedlund <howard@...> wrote:
APPM can be opened from either the button in APCC, or the Windows Programs Menu under Astro-Physics / APCC Pro /.   To run as administrator, use the link in the Windows Program menu and right click on it.  Then select Run as Administrator.

Lee Dodge

Thanks Howard, George, and Ray for the help with using APPM and APCC to get a model for pointing and tracking with my AP 1100GTO mount.  After several weeks of effort, it saw "first light" last night, and with about 32 points in the model, it seemed to dramatically improve pointing accuracy.  I have not checked tracking accuracy.  Still things to learn about how to use it, but at least they are communicating TheSkyX now.

Thanks,
Lee

On Wed, Sep 16, 2020 at 4:32 PM Lee Dodge via groups.io <ldodge12=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
Thanks Howard.  Your suggestion worked for letting me run APPM as administrator.  Sorry for my ignorance with Windows 10.

I hope to make it out to the observatory to check it out this evening.  It now does allow me to get APPM to connect to TheSkyX Pro camera, where in the past I was getting an ActiveX error at that point, so I am optimistic.

Thanks,
Lee

On Wed, Sep 16, 2020 at 3:39 PM Howard Hedlund <howard@...> wrote:
APPM can be opened from either the button in APCC, or the Windows Programs Menu under Astro-Physics / APCC Pro /.   To run as administrator, use the link in the Windows Program menu and right click on it.  Then select Run as Administrator.

CurtisC

Funny thing.  As a result of this discussion, I tried to look at my own APPM setup, and I found that my horizon limits and sky model have totally vanished.  When or how, I have no idea.  I groan at the idea of having set up the horizon again.  But my pointing these days is pretty darn accurate.