PrimaLuceLab EAGLE LE

Ed Wiley

I am eyeing the PrimaLuceLab Eagle LE for upgrading one of my rigs: Mach1 mount, 80mm TMB with Optec TCF-S focuser. Two issues. (1) Cables and where to get them, (2) ASCOM compliance in communicating with the mount and focuser. Has anyone with a Mach1 and perhaps an Optec focuser have any experience with a similar PrimaLuceLab Eagle? Totally ASCOM regardless of using non-PrimaLuceLab focuser units? Existing Mach1 cables work fine?

My experience, I rigged up a Rube Goldberg monster using a Pyramid unit that actually worked for remote operations but was afraid to show it to my friends. :)

Thanks for the input, Ed

Erkaslan Aygen

Hi Ed,

I do have an Eagle 4 on top of my small refractor. Very cool piece of technology that really helps a lot for cables management. Some considerations:

  1. Cable : you need to buy them in addition to the Eagle. If I may, I would really invite you to get at least the Eagle 4s ! Even the 4s is a bit "outdated" considering the processor (8th generation, but okay). Mine is the Eagle 4 which comes with Intel Celeron. Even though I don't use it for pre-processing, it happens very often that the whole system slows down due to lack of memory and poor processor performances.
  2. ASCOM : absolutely no issues with any Ascom related software. I have it installed in my backyard observatory that I am remotely controlling along with lots of ASCOM compatibles devices and it's doing the job (dragonfly, mount, camera, roof control, etc.).
As for your question pertaining to the mount, PrimaLuceLab does offer a dedicated cable for AP mounts. However, some would recommend to use another source of power for your mount (which I did too).

Last but not the least : I am currently setting up another remote observatory, but this time I went for a very good PC along with Pegasusastro ultimate powerbox V2 rather than the Eagle.

In case of questions, please do not hesitate.

Regards,
Aygen

Ed Wiley

Hi Aygen,
Good information, thank you very much. I will consider the Eagle 4s. It would also be prudent to have a separate power source, I have two. I contemplate using AnyDesk and Google Remote Desktop, as I do with my existing remote scope. I am interested as to why you are switching to the PC/Pegasus configuration. Any comments?

Clear Skies, Ed

Ed Wiley

Hi Aygen:

Can you elaborate on the whole system slowing down? I am juggling CPU upgrade against double the price. I do not contemplate capturing video for luck imaging or doing any processing on the Eagle. All calibration and post processing would be done on the home computer after downloading images.

Many thanks,
Ed

Erkaslan Aygen

Hi Ed,

Sorry for my late reply - been quite a busy day :)

Why have I decided not to install another Eagle ? Simply put, I am not really willing to invest in a computer which is a bit "outdated" (for instance, CPU). Rather, I got the last Ultimate Powerbox v2 from Pegasusastro along with a mini computer (equipped with 11th I5 CPU and with lots of RAM / SSD). Sure, you won't be using your Eagle to pre-process your data nor using Pixinsight or whatever processing softwares. However, if you have a full frame camera (ASI 6200) and use automation softwares which requires you to have somehow a "fast" computer, then you might experience some issues as I have been experiencing with my Eagle installed in my backyard observatory. Hence my strong recommendation (if you have similar setups as mine) to invest at least with an Eagle 4s (if you want to get such products). However, given the price,  you can get a much better computer along with a very cool piece of technology as the Pegasusastro's.

Let me know if you need anything.

Best regards,
Aygen

Le lun. 24 janv. 2022 à 16:02, Ed Wiley <ewiley@...> a écrit :
Hi Aygen:

Can you elaborate on the whole system slowing down? I am juggling CPU upgrade against double the price. I do not contemplate capturing video for luck imaging or doing any processing on the Eagle. All calibration and post processing would be done on the home computer after downloading images.

Many thanks,
Ed

Steve Salvo

Ed,

I have the Eagle 3 with The Celeron Chip but 8gb of RAM, an upgrade from 4gb.

The computer has its own power supply. I run mostly NINA and PHD 2.  On occasion I run ASIstudio.

I power the guide camera (ASI290mini), imaging camera (ASI294mcpro) and Senso Sesto Autofocuser using the Eagle 3.

No issues, everything runs fine with no dropped wifi!

Hope this helps,
Steve

On Jan 24, 2022, at 10:02, Ed Wiley <ewiley@...> wrote:

Hi Aygen:

Can you elaborate on the whole system slowing down? I am juggling CPU upgrade against double the price. I do not contemplate capturing video for luck imaging or doing any processing on the Eagle. All calibration and post processing would be done on the home computer after downloading images.

Many thanks,
Ed

Erkaslan Aygen

Hi Steve (and Ed),

Happy to see that you do not have any issue with your Eagle 3.

Before having my observatory - when I was mainly l nomad - I was using a HEQ 5 pro mount along with a small refractor. Generally speaking, everything was really smooth (I was using the ASI 2600 mm pro), and I used APT for my acquisition software. N

With my current setup (AP 1100, Automation Software, APPC, Full format camera, and many others things working in parallel), I personally feel that the Eagle 4 (or any equivalent computers) with 4GB ram and 120 SSD is really struggling and not up to the job. But again, this is my case with my current setup.

By the way, I have decided to get rid of my Eagle and install a new computer along with the Pegasusastro's device.

Best regards,
Aygen

Le lun. 24 janv. 2022 à 16:35, Steve Salvo <sws105@...> a écrit :
[...]

Terry Martin

Ed, et al

I've been using a Primalucelab Eagle since 2018 and I quite like it, so much so that I recently purchased an Eagle 4 pro.  The original Eagle is an Eagle 2 pro that came with an i3 processor, 8Gb of ram, and a 128Gb hard drive.  I upgraded the ram and hard drive to 16Gb and 500Gb.  Changing the ram and hard drive are easy to do.  There were a couple issues with the Eagle 2.   One, the wi-fi in it is poor, so I purchased a small portable router that I velcro to the side of the Eagle and connect to the Eagle.  The portable router puts out a very strong signal and works really well.  The second issue was the Windows operating system that came with the Eagle.  The Eagle comes with Windows 10 Enterprise, which is fine, but the one that came with the Eagle 2 could not be updated the newer .NET framework, which I needed for some devices to run.  The solution was to "upgrade" to Windows 10 Pro.  Filippo from Primalucelab helped me a lot with the "upgrade".  The Eagle 4 wi-fi is very good.

Anyway, I've run several devices and software using the Eagle 2 without any issues.  I have never used an ASI6200 camera, but I do use an ASI2600 camera and a Nikon d810a regularly without issues.  The software running regularly on the Eagle are NINA, TheSkyX, PHD2, Ascom drivers, and APCC, etc.  During imaging I may run CCD inspector to look at the images as they download off the camera.  I've also used other software like BackyardNikon, Stellarium, Starry Night Pro, SharpCap, Cartes du Ciel, CCD Commander, etc.; all with no issues.  I remote into the Eagle using Microsoft Remote Desktop.  The Celeron chip in the Eagle 2 is somewhat slow, but certainly fast enough for astronomy software and imaging.  The Eagle 4 pro that I just got is noticeably faster.

I like the Eagle architecture because it is neat, tidy, and it all works very well.  The Eagle case is very strong and accessories can easily and firmly attached to it.  I highly recommend the Eagle.

Terry

Christopher M

One could estimate the specifications (size) needed of a computer at the telescope by testing with a PC or laptop, and seeing how hard it is working by going into Task Manager (CPU and memory usages).  From Aygen's results, it sounds like newer software and bigger cameras will need better computing specifications.  By the same token, a simpler setup will need less.  I get by with a second generation i5-2500 w 8GB running PHD2 with a QHY5III290 guider camera (USB3), and STT-8300 imaging camera (USB2).  As such I could probably get by fine with a plain Eagle 4.  Future-proofing is another matter, though.

Aygen, what are your (or anyone's) results with the Pegasus Astro Powerbox units?  I personally shied away from them as they use DC barrel connectors which I detest especially in the field.  They always seem to get dirty or oxidised, loose, and become intermittent after a while.