Primalucelab Eagle 4 GPS

Terry Martin

I know this has been asked a couple times in the past, but I don't recall ever seeing an answer.  Would it be possible to import the GPS information from a Primalucelab Eagle 4 Pro into APCC?  The following is from the Eagle 4 manual:

EAGLE Manager 4 has a web server that allows third party software, installed on the EAGLE, to take control of the EAGLE’s ports. This paragraph describes the commands that allows you to control the EAGLE ports status independently from EAGLE Manager software. Web server replies to port 1380 and all replies are in json format.

localhost:1380/getgps
Replies values (result,latitude,longitude,altitude,date,time,numsat)

Thanks,

Terry

Terry Martin

Is it safe to assume that since there has been no response to the inquiries about the Primalucelab GPS that is not possible to import the GPS data from the Eagle 4?  If so, that's too bad, but at least we know.

Terry

ap@CaptivePhotons.com

On Sat, Jan 22, 2022 at 02:33 PM, Terry Martin wrote:
Is it safe to assume that since there has been no response to the inquiries about the Primalucelab GPS that is not possible to import the GPS data from the Eagle 4?
I have no idea specifically but have been on-and-off looking for a similar path from my homemade weather station, which has a GPS.

For time sync this is easy -- NTP to windows, set APCC to sync the mount to windows, everything is within fractions of a millisecond.  And time is more important than lat/long (though unless chasing satellites milliseconds are not needed).

For GPS coordinates there are a few problems.  I think APCC, but definitely NINA, expect a NEMA serial COM port connection, which would require me intercepting the coordinates and fabricating a NMEA feed.  not hard, but you need virtual com ports, and that's a pain and/or cost (and I worry about screwing up APCC's virtual ports).

But there is another issue actually -- APCC/APPM's sites have other data, including pressure and altitude.  And a name.  I guess you could then have only one site, a "generic GPS corrected".  And if feeding live pressure (is it altitude corrected?  not sure, I'm in florida aka flatland).

But honestly most people have so few sites from which they observe it is questionable whether it is worth doing.

My thought was to try to fix NINA to read the GPS, and let it (as it does) automatically compare to APPC/APPM site, and warn you if you moved to a new site and did not change sites there.  My biggest issue is simply remembering to change if when i observe elsewhere, and change it back.

But that means dealing with the virtual com port issue, and I've been lazy.   Mostly because with two sites, it is not exactly my biggest challenge observing.  :)

So following with interest to see if anyone has better ideas.

Linwood