Power Supply/USB 3 Hub Recommendations? UPDATE

Woody Schlom

Robert,

I just spent some time on Pegasus-Astro’s forum and learned that I’ve almost certainly blown up my PPBA’s adjustable output.  If you accidentally plug power input into this output – you can blow the adjustable circuit.  And I know that in the dark two weeks ago, I did exactly that.  Pegasus uses the exact same connectors (5.5mm x 2.1mm) for all power connections – in, out, and adjustable out.  So it’s really easy – particularly in the dark to plug cables in wrong.  I’ve now put big labels on mine.

But I have another Pegasus-Astro device with a similar Adjustable Out.  So I just tested it.

Power supply input = 12.21v DC. (from Pegasus-Astro regulated 10A PS)

Adjustable Out = 12.21v DC.

Power supply input = 12.87v DC.  (from Powerwerx PS)

Adjustable Out = 12.23v DC. 

So that output is definitely regulated – at least to within a couple of hundredths of a volt.

I find using all the same connectors a significant problem in the dark when you’re in a hurry.  Oh well.  Live and learn. 

Woody

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> On Behalf Of Woody Schlom
Sent: Saturday, January 8, 2022 7:17 PM
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] Power Supply/USB 3 Hub Recommendations?

Robert,

OK, I can now report with some first-hand data.  I just connected my new Pegasus-Astro “Pocket Power Advance Gen-2” box (PPA) to a couple of different DC power supplies.

Pegasus 12v 10 amp power supply:

PS output = 12.21v DC (as per Fluke-115)

PPA reported input voltage = 12.2 (as per Pegasus software)

4 main 12v DC outputs = 12.20v DC (as per Fluke-115)

1 variable DC output set to 12v = 0.012 (NOT WORKING!)

Powerwerx SS-30DV power supply set to 12.87v DC.

PS output = 12.87v DC (as per Fluke-115)

PPA reported input voltage = 12.8 (as per Pegasus software)

4 main 12v DC outputs = 12.85 (as per Fluke-115)

So yes, the Pegasus Pocket Powerbox Advance I have is passing input voltage through to the four main 12v DC outputs. 

But it appears that something is wrong with my adjustable DC output.  No matter what output voltage I set it at – my Fluke-115 only reads 0.012v DC coming out.  I’m about to contact Pegasus about this.  Either I’m doing something wrong (wouldn’t be the first time), or my PPA isn’t fully functional.

Woody

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> On Behalf Of Robert Berta
Sent: Saturday, January 8, 2022 5:48 PM

@Woody....thanks for your reply to my question about possible issues with dew heaters. I recognize that 12 volts is not ideal for AP mounts. I run 13.8 volts from a regulated power supply....and use same voltage for my other gear too. Never any problems. Since I live in Michigan I like 13.8 volts...especially in frigid temperatures. I also lower the max slew speed of my 900 and 1100 mounts when using in those low temps. It sounds like the hub will pass through the same 13.8 input volts to other devices or is it regulated down to 12 volts? 

Jeffc

Interesting.  

Fwiw.. the UPBV2 has a different connector for the power “input” than the output connectors.   The “input” power is an XT60 connector.    Perhaps this was an improvement on the UPBV2 to prevent the problem described.  

-jeff

On Jan 8, 2022, at 8:02 PM, Woody Schlom <woody_is@...> wrote:

Robert,

I just spent some time on Pegasus-Astro’s forum and learned that I’ve almost certainly blown up my PPBA’s adjustable output.  If you accidentally plug power input into this output – you can blow the adjustable circuit.  And I know that in the dark two weeks ago, I did exactly that.  Pegasus uses the exact same connectors (5.5mm x 2.1mm) for all power connections – in, out, and adjustable out.  So it’s really easy – particularly in the dark to plug cables in wrong.  I’ve now put big labels on mine.

But I have another Pegasus-Astro device with a similar Adjustable Out.  So I just tested it.

So that output is definitely regulated – at least to within a couple of hundredths of a volt.

I find using all the same connectors a significant problem in the dark when you’re in a hurry.  Oh well.  Live and learn. 

Woody

Robert,

OK, I can now report with some first-hand data.  I just connected my new Pegasus-Astro “Pocket Power Advance Gen-2” box (PPA) to a couple of different DC power supplies.

So yes, the Pegasus Pocket Powerbox Advance I have is passing input voltage through to the four main 12v DC outputs. 

But it appears that something is wrong with my adjustable DC output.  No matter what output voltage I set it at – my Fluke-115 only reads 0.012v DC coming out.  I’m about to contact Pegasus about this.  Either I’m doing something wrong (wouldn’t be the first time), or my PPA isn’t fully functional.

Woody

@Woody....thanks for your reply to my question about possible issues with dew heaters. I recognize that 12 volts is not ideal for AP mounts. I run 13.8 volts from a regulated power supply....and use same voltage for my other gear too. Never any problems. Since I live in Michigan I like 13.8 volts...especially in frigid temperatures. I also lower the max slew speed of my 900 and 1100 mounts when using in those low temps. It sounds like the hub will pass through the same 13.8 input volts to other devices or is it regulated down to 12 volts? 

Woody Schlom

Jeff,

Could be.  Or the PowerBox Advance unit is physically so small there’s no room for a larger connector.  I also have a PowerBox Micro – and it too has all 5.5mm x 2.1mm connectors.

I like yours with different connectors much better – particularly for portable use where I unplug everything each time I setup (often in the dark).  I’ve since put new large labels on mine indicating the 12v INPUT connector.

Woody

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> On Behalf Of Jeffc
Sent: Saturday, January 8, 2022 8:42 PM
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] Power Supply/USB 3 Hub Recommendations? UPDATE

Interesting.  

Fwiw.. the UPBV2 has a different connector for the power “input” than the output connectors.   The “input” power is an XT60 connector.    Perhaps this was an improvement on the UPBV2 to prevent the problem described.  

-jeff

On Jan 8, 2022, at 8:02 PM, Woody Schlom <woody_is@...> wrote:

Robert,

Woody

Robert,

Woody

ap@CaptivePhotons.com

On Sat, Jan 8, 2022 at 11:01 PM, Woody Schlom wrote:
I just spent some time on Pegasus-Astro’s forum and learned that I’ve almost certainly blown up my PPBA’s adjustable output.  If you accidentally plug power input into this output – you can blow the adjustable circuit. 
I posted this image a few days ago of the PPBAdv Gen 1 and notice the gaffer tape.  It covers port 1 (which is fairly useless, something fixed in Gen 2) and also the variable output.  That variable output is in the same relative position as power input on the other side, and very easy to confuse if you do not pay attention.

So --- been there, done that, it required a trip to Greece to repair.  To their credit they did so very quickly and for a very fair price. 

I'd suggest those not using the variable output just cover it, and those with gen 1 versions cover port 1.  The later will not blow up, but when you plug things into it and nothing works, it will save you a trip back outside to figure out the ports.  It seems so simple to keep straight, but I often find I am working on stuff with the axes in an odd position, reaching around an OTA or cables, etc.   Plus only half the brain cells work in the dark, I'm sure of that even if doctors disagree.

Gaffer tape - just slightly less useful than duct tape.  :) 

Linwood