Power Supply/USB 3 Hub Recommendations?


Jerome A Yesavage
 

Hello,

I have been trying to clean up the wiring that runs through my Mach1 because it is a mess and second I have a new pier that is crimping my space below the Mach1.

Ideally I would like to run one USB 3.0 cable to my PC and one power input to this ideal unit, which would then disperse 12V to my dew heater, focuser and camera... my USB connections are focuser, camera (ASI 6200), Flip Flat). 

I have an IP power controller that could shut off the power in.  Currently it does every power input individually.

This would all bolt to the top of my Stellarvue 130T SVX and the Mach1. 

I think the mount power and IP connection would remain separate.

Any box that can do this reliably?  Seems like a simple task... at least compared to setting up the James Webb... lots on unhappy people on CNs and elsewhere with their choices.

Thanks,

JY


Arvind
 

I have the Pegasus UPB v2 and the Advance Gen 2. Both are great, but I personally prefer the Advance more for my portable usecases given its form factor.

The UPB v2 is larger and has more ports but I keep it for my backyard use. For transparency, I had a small power-plug issue with the UPB v2 (which Cloud Break Optics is taking care of!) whereas the Advance has had no issues and helped me tremendously in cable management even when traveling. Very convenient & reliable so far.

On Fri, Jan 7, 2022 at 5:01 PM Jerome A Yesavage <yesavage@...> wrote:
Hello,

I have been trying to clean up the wiring that runs through my Mach1 because it is a mess and second I have a new pier that is crimping my space below the Mach1.

Ideally I would like to run one USB 3.0 cable to my PC and one power input to this ideal unit, which would then disperse 12V to my dew heater, focuser and camera... my USB connections are focuser, camera (ASI 6200), Flip Flat). 

I have an IP power controller that could shut off the power in.  Currently it does every power input individually.

This would all bolt to the top of my Stellarvue 130T SVX and the Mach1. 

I think the mount power and IP connection would remain separate.

Any box that can do this reliably?  Seems like a simple task... at least compared to setting up the James Webb... lots on unhappy people on CNs and elsewhere with their choices.

Thanks,

JY


Woody Schlom
 

Jerome,

 

I highly recommend that you look into the various Pegasus Astro Powerboxes.  I think you’ll find exactly what you’re looking for.

 

I have two Pegasus Astro products – their 6 port USB3 powered hub (every port completely independent of the others), and their “Pocket Powerbox Advanced, Gen-2”.  Both work very well and are designed and specifically made for astronomy use.

 

The Pocket Powerbox I have is the smallest and least expensive of their multi-function devices.  It has four 12v outputs, one variable DC output (up to 12v), two USB3 ports, two USB2 ports, two Dew Heater outputs, a dew heater temperature/humidity sensor port (comes with a cabled temperature/humidity probe), and Ethernet computer connection.  And it can be remotely controlled by a computer running Windows (via free software you download from the Pegasus website).

 

There are I believe two larger versions of the Powerbox with more features and outputs.  Pegasus Astro even makes brackets so you can fasten their products to your scope or dovetail rail.

 

Unlike many other powered USB3 hubs, the Pegasus USB3 ports put out 5.2v – which is what many of the new CMOS cameras need.  My little Pocket Powerbox even has one of its USB2 ports able to put out 5.2v at 3 amps!

 

Woody

 

 

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io [mailto:main@ap-gto.groups.io] On Behalf Of Jerome A Yesavage
Sent: Friday, January 07, 2022 5:02 PM
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Subject: [ap-gto] Power Supply/USB 3 Hub Recommendations?

 

Hello,

I have been trying to clean up the wiring that runs through my Mach1 because it is a mess and second I have a new pier that is crimping my space below the Mach1.

Ideally I would like to run one USB 3.0 cable to my PC and one power input to this ideal unit, which would then disperse 12V to my dew heater, focuser and camera... my USB connections are focuser, camera (ASI 6200), Flip Flat). 

I have an IP power controller that could shut off the power in.  Currently it does every power input individually.

This would all bolt to the top of my Stellarvue 130T SVX and the Mach1. 

I think the mount power and IP connection would remain separate.

Any box that can do this reliably?  Seems like a simple task... at least compared to setting up the James Webb... lots on unhappy people on CNs and elsewhere with their choices.

Thanks,

JY


ap@CaptivePhotons.com
 

I'm another Pocket Powerbox fan, having a Gen 1 version.  I'll add this: I was pleasantly surprised when I did something stupid and blew part of it up, that Pegasus had a repair depot in the US that handles shipping back to Greece, and I got quite fast turnaround (I think about 3 weeks) and a very fair price.  They also actually answer email.  Great company to deal with.

Here is mine sitting under the longer saddle on a Ap1100.  It just barely clears the motor housing as RA turns, but it does, and it greatly simplifies cabling.  The small fat cable goes to the temp/humidity sensor.  The covered ports are ones I do not want to accidentally use in the dark (the Gen 1 had some USB limitations that are fixed in Gen 2, making one port pretty unusable). 

One last note, while Pegasus has some limited brackets, this site offers quite a few choices, and excellent prices. He does a lot of 3D printing for astro stuff, and if you need something customized he is often receptive to doing so if he might make a product from it.

https://buckeyestargazer.net/Store/Powerbox.php

Linwood


Woody Schlom
 

Linwood,

 

Thanks for that great link!  Really useful stuff.

 

Woody

 

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io [mailto:main@ap-gto.groups.io] On Behalf Of ap@...
Sent: Friday, January 07, 2022 5:38 PM
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] Power Supply/USB 3 Hub Recommendations?

 

I'm another Pocket Powerbox fan, having a Gen 1 version.  I'll add this: I was pleasantly surprised when I did something stupid and blew part of it up, that Pegasus had a repair depot in the US that handles shipping back to Greece, and I got quite fast turnaround (I think about 3 weeks) and a very fair price.  They also actually answer email.  Great company to deal with.

Here is mine sitting under the longer saddle on a Ap1100.  It just barely clears the motor housing as RA turns, but it does, and it greatly simplifies cabling.  The small fat cable goes to the temp/humidity sensor.  The covered ports are ones I do not want to accidentally use in the dark (the Gen 1 had some USB limitations that are fixed in Gen 2, making one port pretty unusable). 

One last note, while Pegasus has some limited brackets, this site offers quite a few choices, and excellent prices. He does a lot of 3D printing for astro stuff, and if you need something customized he is often receptive to doing so if he might make a product from it.

https://buckeyestargazer.net/Store/Powerbox.php

Linwood


 

+1 for the pegasus ultimate powerbox v2

power, switchable USB ports (can turn them on/off individually) and a host of other features. Mine has temp sensor option as well

On Fri, Jan 7, 2022 at 5:01 PM Jerome A Yesavage <yesavage@...> wrote:
Hello,

I have been trying to clean up the wiring that runs through my Mach1 because it is a mess and second I have a new pier that is crimping my space below the Mach1.

Ideally I would like to run one USB 3.0 cable to my PC and one power input to this ideal unit, which would then disperse 12V to my dew heater, focuser and camera... my USB connections are focuser, camera (ASI 6200), Flip Flat). 

I have an IP power controller that could shut off the power in.  Currently it does every power input individually.

This would all bolt to the top of my Stellarvue 130T SVX and the Mach1. 

I think the mount power and IP connection would remain separate.

Any box that can do this reliably?  Seems like a simple task... at least compared to setting up the James Webb... lots on unhappy people on CNs and elsewhere with their choices.

Thanks,

JY



--
Brian 



Brian Valente


Robert Berta
 

The Pegasus device looks interesting but I am leery of having so much gear connected to one DC source. I know Roland recommends having his mount on a different power source thank the camera and rest of the gear. In particular I see that they have dew heater power supplied from that unit. Dew heaters are notorious for causing spikes and other issues so I always have them completely isolated from everything else. Do owners of the Pegasus have any concerns or experiences with everything from that one DC source? 


Jeffc
 

I fumbled with USB cables, robofocus, and the manual dew heater control box.

Then I got a Pegasus UPBv2 to deal with some USB3 issues with the QHY camera.
I pretty quickly moved the dew heaters and focus motor over to the Pegasus UPBv2, and eliminated two boxes hanging off the mount.

Being able to control the dew heaters remotely is very nice.   Likewise being able to control the USB ports, monitor the imaging power current, etc is definitely handy.

It was a bit expensive I thought... but now I think it is worth it.

I have a Mach2... which has 1 12v and 1 USB pass-thru... so I do that -- it is just those two cables to the mount, then everything is powered from the UPBv2.
Right now I just use the one imaging camera, but I could add a guide camera on another USB port.   IIRC there are 2xUSB3 and 4xUSB2 ports
I also have a StarlightInstruments focus motor controller that I use on a different OTA, and run its power & USB from the pegasus UPBv2.

I still need to be wary of USB3 cable length the the camera, and use quality USB3 cables.   The cables I currently have are acceptable, but I plan to replace them with some custom cables.

I also use the buckeyestargazer mounting adapters.   DO NOT buy the pegasus UPBv2 mounting "brackets".   Not worth the money at all.   The buckeyestargazer bracket works great, and is like half the cost.
-jeff


On Fri, Jan 7, 2022 at 6:19 PM Brian Valente <bvalente@...> wrote:
+1 for the pegasus ultimate powerbox v2

power, switchable USB ports (can turn them on/off individually) and a host of other features. Mine has temp sensor option as well

On Fri, Jan 7, 2022 at 5:01 PM Jerome A Yesavage <yesavage@...> wrote:
Hello,

I have been trying to clean up the wiring that runs through my Mach1 because it is a mess and second I have a new pier that is crimping my space below the Mach1.

Ideally I would like to run one USB 3.0 cable to my PC and one power input to this ideal unit, which would then disperse 12V to my dew heater, focuser and camera... my USB connections are focuser, camera (ASI 6200), Flip Flat). 

I have an IP power controller that could shut off the power in.  Currently it does every power input individually.

This would all bolt to the top of my Stellarvue 130T SVX and the Mach1. 

I think the mount power and IP connection would remain separate.

Any box that can do this reliably?  Seems like a simple task... at least compared to setting up the James Webb... lots on unhappy people on CNs and elsewhere with their choices.

Thanks,

JY



--
Brian 



Brian Valente


Woody Schlom
 

Robert,

 

I wouldn’t run an AP mount from a Pegasus Powerbox anyway because the box only supplies 12v – and most AP mounts like more.

 

But the boxes can supply up to 10 amps at 12v from the Pegasus PS.

 

Not sure if the dew heaters switching on and off from the same 12v source cause spikes in the other 12v power outlets or not as I haven’t used the heaters yet.  But I assume Pegasus has taken care of that.

 

Woody

 

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io [mailto:main@ap-gto.groups.io] On Behalf Of Robert Berta
Sent: Friday, January 07, 2022 6:52 PM
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] Power Supply/USB 3 Hub Recommendations?

 

The Pegasus device looks interesting but I am leery of having so much gear connected to one DC source. I know Roland recommends having his mount on a different power source thank the camera and rest of the gear. In particular I see that they have dew heater power supplied from that unit. Dew heaters are notorious for causing spikes and other issues so I always have them completely isolated from everything else. Do owners of the Pegasus have any concerns or experiences with everything from that one DC source? 


ap@CaptivePhotons.com
 

Robert Berta wrote:

 

  • The Pegasus device looks interesting but I am leery of having so much gear connected to one DC source. I know Roland recommends having his mount on a different power source thank the camera and rest of the gear. In particular I see that they have dew heater power supplied from that unit. Dew heaters are notorious for causing spikes and other issues so I always have them completely isolated from everything else. Do owners of the Pegasus have any concerns or experiences with everything from that one DC source? 

 

With the Pegasus above, it is easy to run the mount from a separate source.  I also keep my computer and travel router below the mount, powered with separate cables (but same source as everything but the mount).  My Pegasus box does power everything above the saddle.  With the SCT (which has big dew heaters) it's probably pulling 5A or so at times, right now with a refractor and two dew heaters, cameras, etc. it is pulling 2.8A.

 

To date I have not had issues with dew heaters affecting the camera captures (where I would expect it to show up first).  they are inconvenient to power separately with the Pegasus, if you want that you probably need a separate dew controller and separate power source going up through the mount.

 

I HAVE had issues with the computer (an Intel Nuc) on the same DC power as my flats panel, and ended up getting a separate small DC source for when I do flats (cheap rechargeable 12V LiON battery).

 

I get the concern, but until I see some sign of an issue, the Pegasus really simplifies cabling.

 

Linwood

 


Bill Long
 

The Pegasus box does NOT regulate the voltage.  If you provide 14v it will distribute 14v.


From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> on behalf of Woody Schlom <woody_is@...>
Sent: Friday, January 7, 2022 7:02 PM
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] Power Supply/USB 3 Hub Recommendations?
 

Robert,

 

I wouldn’t run an AP mount from a Pegasus Powerbox anyway because the box only supplies 12v – and most AP mounts like more.

 

But the boxes can supply up to 10 amps at 12v from the Pegasus PS.

 

Not sure if the dew heaters switching on and off from the same 12v source cause spikes in the other 12v power outlets or not as I haven’t used the heaters yet.  But I assume Pegasus has taken care of that.

 

Woody

 

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io [mailto:main@ap-gto.groups.io] On Behalf Of Robert Berta
Sent: Friday, January 07, 2022 6:52 PM
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] Power Supply/USB 3 Hub Recommendations?

 

The Pegasus device looks interesting but I am leery of having so much gear connected to one DC source. I know Roland recommends having his mount on a different power source thank the camera and rest of the gear. In particular I see that they have dew heater power supplied from that unit. Dew heaters are notorious for causing spikes and other issues so I always have them completely isolated from everything else. Do owners of the Pegasus have any concerns or experiences with everything from that one DC source? 


Bill Long
 

This is what I do as well. Works great. 


From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> on behalf of ap@... <ap@...>
Sent: Friday, January 7, 2022 7:04 PM
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] Power Supply/USB 3 Hub Recommendations?
 

Robert Berta wrote:

 

  • The Pegasus device looks interesting but I am leery of having so much gear connected to one DC source. I know Roland recommends having his mount on a different power source thank the camera and rest of the gear. In particular I see that they have dew heater power supplied from that unit. Dew heaters are notorious for causing spikes and other issues so I always have them completely isolated from everything else. Do owners of the Pegasus have any concerns or experiences with everything from that one DC source? 

 

With the Pegasus above, it is easy to run the mount from a separate source.  I also keep my computer and travel router below the mount, powered with separate cables (but same source as everything but the mount).  My Pegasus box does power everything above the saddle.  With the SCT (which has big dew heaters) it's probably pulling 5A or so at times, right now with a refractor and two dew heaters, cameras, etc. it is pulling 2.8A.

 

To date I have not had issues with dew heaters affecting the camera captures (where I would expect it to show up first).  they are inconvenient to power separately with the Pegasus, if you want that you probably need a separate dew controller and separate power source going up through the mount.

 

I HAVE had issues with the computer (an Intel Nuc) on the same DC power as my flats panel, and ended up getting a separate small DC source for when I do flats (cheap rechargeable 12V LiON battery).

 

I get the concern, but until I see some sign of an issue, the Pegasus really simplifies cabling.

 

Linwood

 


Jeffc
 

Yeah. As others have said, the mount power (and even the mount USB if you use it) are NOT routed through the UPBV2.  

The UPBV2 typically sits on the OTA and distributes power and USB up there.  

The mount , ie the GTO CP box is down below (eg on the pier) and is independently powered. 

On my setup there’s one power cable going to the thru-mount cabling which goes to the UPBV2. 

There’s  another power cable from the 12v supply to the mount CP box. 

Likewise with USB.  
- one USB cable from the computer to the mount GTO CP box
- another USB from computer to the thru-mount to UBV2 on top of OTA. 

(Now .. if you place your computer on the OTA then it is a slightly different.  But lots of people go that route also.)

I have had no problems with running the dew heater from the UPBV2.  In fact I think the dew heater performs better than the dew buster i previously used.

Fwiw I used to run the dew buster I heater, camera, mount , computer on their own batteries.  Totally separate power.   And that’s 4 batteries.     P I T A.   
I now use a single Li-Ion “power station” which supplies 12v and also has a sine wave inverter built in for 110v AC.   I use AC to run the mount (using the 24v AP brick), AC for the computer, and 12v to run everything off the UPBv2.    I’ve also run the mount on 12v by splitting the 12v out of the power station using an independently fused 12v power pole distribution panel — so one 12v cable to the CP box, another 12v cable to the UPBv2. 

Also fwiw the duty cycle on the UPBv2 dew heater is different than the dew buster I use to use.   It seems the dew buster was lower frequency .. ie more “spikey” on/off.   The UPBv2 seems to be smoother at something like 1khz.  Not 100% sure about this, but it is definitely different (I confirmed with the Pegasus ppl on this point.)

As for running everything off the UPBV2 … My understanding is the UPBV2 power is just pass thru with mosfet switched capability on the 12V ports.   
I think the limit is like 7A for each 12v port.  (The total current is rated at 20 amps.)
Plus , all this can be monitored remotely, and the total power consumption (and maybe per port) can be graphed in the app over time.  It is quite handy. 

But if you want to forgo this convenience, I believe the “advance” is just a hub.  You could also get an industrial USB hub.   I’ve used passive hubs in the past (but not with USB3).

-jeff

On Jan 7, 2022, at 6:52 PM, Robert Berta <biker123@...> wrote:

The Pegasus device looks interesting but I am leery of having so much gear connected to one DC source. I know Roland recommends having his mount on a different power source thank the camera and rest of the gear. In particular I see that they have dew heater power supplied from that unit. Dew heaters are notorious for causing spikes and other issues so I always have them completely isolated from everything else. Do owners of the Pegasus have any concerns or experiences with everything from that one DC source? 


Marcelo Figueroa
 

I have the same one, it works perfect. Well almost, it is basically only 3 USB ports, the first one being practically unusable. And I also have that 12v output port covered, very easy to confuse with the power input.


Jerome A Yesavage
 

Well thanks for the wealth of information.  Looked at their web site and the Ultimate Powerbox v2 look like it has everything.  A bit of overkill, but so is this whole hobby.

They say it is ASCOM compliant.  Has anyone ever used it with ACP/Expert Scheduler and their scripting which turns off and on my IP power controller plugs individually?

Seems you can snake the power and the USB connector up the internal hole in the Mach1.  I see that the Mach2 has these built in I guess...


W Hilmo
 

The UPBv2 has 4 unregulated ports and one regulated (and adjustable voltage) port.

I use a buck-boost converter between my power source and the UPBv2 to keep the voltage constant to the 4 unregulated ports.  Also, I don't run my mount through the UPBv2.  I have it mounted on the OTA's top dovetail and it's connected only to components that are attached to the scope.  Since the CP4 does not move with the mount, I have a separate power cable running to it.

On 1/7/22 7:58 PM, Bill Long wrote:
The Pegasus box does NOT regulate the voltage.  If you provide 14v it will distribute 14v.


From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> on behalf of Woody Schlom <woody_is@...>
Sent: Friday, January 7, 2022 7:02 PM
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] Power Supply/USB 3 Hub Recommendations?
 

Robert,

 

I wouldn’t run an AP mount from a Pegasus Powerbox anyway because the box only supplies 12v – and most AP mounts like more.

 

But the boxes can supply up to 10 amps at 12v from the Pegasus PS.

 

Not sure if the dew heaters switching on and off from the same 12v source cause spikes in the other 12v power outlets or not as I haven’t used the heaters yet.  But I assume Pegasus has taken care of that.

 

Woody

 

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io [mailto:main@ap-gto.groups.io] On Behalf Of Robert Berta
Sent: Friday, January 07, 2022 6:52 PM
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] Power Supply/USB 3 Hub Recommendations?

 

The Pegasus device looks interesting but I am leery of having so much gear connected to one DC source. I know Roland recommends having his mount on a different power source thank the camera and rest of the gear. In particular I see that they have dew heater power supplied from that unit. Dew heaters are notorious for causing spikes and other issues so I always have them completely isolated from everything else. Do owners of the Pegasus have any concerns or experiences with everything from that one DC source? 



Bill Long
 

Yes the variable port is of course variable. 

The Ultimate Powerbox v2 is 8amps per port. The Advanced box is 10amps shared on all ports. Yes the device will shut off above 14.5v but most battery supplies and AC boxes in use don't supply more than 14.1v.


From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> on behalf of W Hilmo <y.groups@...>
Sent: Saturday, January 8, 2022 5:12 AM
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io>; Woody Schlom <woody_is@...>
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] Power Supply/USB 3 Hub Recommendations?
 
The UPBv2 has 4 unregulated ports and one regulated (and adjustable voltage) port.

I use a buck-boost converter between my power source and the UPBv2 to keep the voltage constant to the 4 unregulated ports.  Also, I don't run my mount through the UPBv2.  I have it mounted on the OTA's top dovetail and it's connected only to components that are attached to the scope.  Since the CP4 does not move with the mount, I have a separate power cable running to it.

On 1/7/22 7:58 PM, Bill Long wrote:
The Pegasus box does NOT regulate the voltage.  If you provide 14v it will distribute 14v.


From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> on behalf of Woody Schlom <woody_is@...>
Sent: Friday, January 7, 2022 7:02 PM
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] Power Supply/USB 3 Hub Recommendations?
 

Robert,

 

I wouldn’t run an AP mount from a Pegasus Powerbox anyway because the box only supplies 12v – and most AP mounts like more.

 

But the boxes can supply up to 10 amps at 12v from the Pegasus PS.

 

Not sure if the dew heaters switching on and off from the same 12v source cause spikes in the other 12v power outlets or not as I haven’t used the heaters yet.  But I assume Pegasus has taken care of that.

 

Woody

 

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io [mailto:main@ap-gto.groups.io] On Behalf Of Robert Berta
Sent: Friday, January 07, 2022 6:52 PM
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] Power Supply/USB 3 Hub Recommendations?

 

The Pegasus device looks interesting but I am leery of having so much gear connected to one DC source. I know Roland recommends having his mount on a different power source thank the camera and rest of the gear. In particular I see that they have dew heater power supplied from that unit. Dew heaters are notorious for causing spikes and other issues so I always have them completely isolated from everything else. Do owners of the Pegasus have any concerns or experiences with everything from that one DC source? 



Arvind
 

Just wanted to clarify: there Advance and there is Advance Gen2. 

I have both the UPB v2 & the Advance Gen2. The Advance Gen2 is much more than just a hub. At half the price of UPB v2 it also doesn’t make one feel like you just spent on a luxury item. 

The Gen2 has dew heaters, adj. output, USB hub, and 12v distribution as well albeit with fewer ports which is sufficient for many people (verify number of ports and such between these before buying to confirm if it’d work for your use case). Both have the windows based app that allows me to control the dew heater and such too. 

I haven’t felt like I’m missing out on anything with the Advance Gen2 compared to the UPBv2. I only benefit from its USB hub, power distribution for the imaging train, and as a dew controller. 


On Fri, Jan 7, 2022 at 21:38 Jeffc <jeffcrilly@...> wrote:
Yeah. As others have said, the mount power (and even the mount USB if you use it) are NOT routed through the UPBV2.  

The UPBV2 typically sits on the OTA and distributes power and USB up there.  

The mount , ie the GTO CP box is down below (eg on the pier) and is independently powered. 

On my setup there’s one power cable going to the thru-mount cabling which goes to the UPBV2. 

There’s  another power cable from the 12v supply to the mount CP box. 

Likewise with USB.  
- one USB cable from the computer to the mount GTO CP box
- another USB from computer to the thru-mount to UBV2 on top of OTA. 

(Now .. if you place your computer on the OTA then it is a slightly different.  But lots of people go that route also.)

I have had no problems with running the dew heater from the UPBV2.  In fact I think the dew heater performs better than the dew buster i previously used.

Fwiw I used to run the dew buster I heater, camera, mount , computer on their own batteries.  Totally separate power.   And that’s 4 batteries.     P I T A.   
I now use a single Li-Ion “power station” which supplies 12v and also has a sine wave inverter built in for 110v AC.   I use AC to run the mount (using the 24v AP brick), AC for the computer, and 12v to run everything off the UPBv2.    I’ve also run the mount on 12v by splitting the 12v out of the power station using an independently fused 12v power pole distribution panel — so one 12v cable to the CP box, another 12v cable to the UPBv2. 

Also fwiw the duty cycle on the UPBv2 dew heater is different than the dew buster I use to use.   It seems the dew buster was lower frequency .. ie more “spikey” on/off.   The UPBv2 seems to be smoother at something like 1khz.  Not 100% sure about this, but it is definitely different (I confirmed with the Pegasus ppl on this point.)

As for running everything off the UPBV2 … My understanding is the UPBV2 power is just pass thru with mosfet switched capability on the 12V ports.   
I think the limit is like 7A for each 12v port.  (The total current is rated at 20 amps.)
Plus , all this can be monitored remotely, and the total power consumption (and maybe per port) can be graphed in the app over time.  It is quite handy. 

But if you want to forgo this convenience, I believe the “advance” is just a hub.  You could also get an industrial USB hub.   I’ve used passive hubs in the past (but not with USB3).

-jeff

On Jan 7, 2022, at 6:52 PM, Robert Berta <biker123@...> wrote:

The Pegasus device looks interesting but I am leery of having so much gear connected to one DC source. I know Roland recommends having his mount on a different power source thank the camera and rest of the gear. In particular I see that they have dew heater power supplied from that unit. Dew heaters are notorious for causing spikes and other issues so I always have them completely isolated from everything else. Do owners of the Pegasus have any concerns or experiences with everything from that one DC source? 


Jerome A Yesavage
 

Do any of you run this with ACP automation software (Expert Scheduler/DC3 dreams Bob Denny)?


Woody Schlom
 

Bill,

 

The variable port is variable AND regulated.  The Pegasus 10 amp AC to 12v DC power supply is also regulated.

 

Woody

 

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io [mailto:main@ap-gto.groups.io] On Behalf Of Bill Long
Sent: Saturday, January 08, 2022 6:10 AM
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] Power Supply/USB 3 Hub Recommendations?

 

Yes the variable port is of course variable. 

 

The Ultimate Powerbox v2 is 8amps per port. The Advanced box is 10amps shared on all ports. Yes the device will shut off above 14.5v but most battery supplies and AC boxes in use don't supply more than 14.1v.

 


From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> on behalf of W Hilmo <y.groups@...>
Sent: Saturday, January 8, 2022 5:12 AM
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io>; Woody Schlom <woody_is@...>
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] Power Supply/USB 3 Hub Recommendations?

 

The UPBv2 has 4 unregulated ports and one regulated (and adjustable voltage) port.

I use a buck-boost converter between my power source and the UPBv2 to keep the voltage constant to the 4 unregulated ports.  Also, I don't run my mount through the UPBv2.  I have it mounted on the OTA's top dovetail and it's connected only to components that are attached to the scope.  Since the CP4 does not move with the mount, I have a separate power cable running to it.

On 1/7/22 7:58 PM, Bill Long wrote:

The Pegasus box does NOT regulate the voltage.  If you provide 14v it will distribute 14v.

 


From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> on behalf of Woody Schlom <woody_is@...>
Sent: Friday, January 7, 2022 7:02 PM
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] Power Supply/USB 3 Hub Recommendations?

 

Robert,

 

I wouldn’t run an AP mount from a Pegasus Powerbox anyway because the box only supplies 12v – and most AP mounts like more.

 

But the boxes can supply up to 10 amps at 12v from the Pegasus PS.

 

Not sure if the dew heaters switching on and off from the same 12v source cause spikes in the other 12v power outlets or not as I haven’t used the heaters yet.  But I assume Pegasus has taken care of that.

 

Woody

 

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io [mailto:main@ap-gto.groups.io] On Behalf Of Robert Berta
Sent: Friday, January 07, 2022 6:52 PM
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] Power Supply/USB 3 Hub Recommendations?

 

The Pegasus device looks interesting but I am leery of having so much gear connected to one DC source. I know Roland recommends having his mount on a different power source thank the camera and rest of the gear. In particular I see that they have dew heater power supplied from that unit. Dew heaters are notorious for causing spikes and other issues so I always have them completely isolated from everything else. Do owners of the Pegasus have any concerns or experiences with everything from that one DC source?