From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> On Behalf Of Seb@stro
Sent: Thursday, April 8, 2021 4:53 PM
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Subject: [ap-gto] Power cable conductor gage (AWG) of

Hi,

I was wondering what was the conductor gage (AWG) of the power cable (6-ft) included with the Mach 2. There are writings on the jacket in what seems to be Japanese language as well as the number 0.75 but no AWG rating or anything else I can understand.

If 0.75 relates to mm^2, that would correspond to AWG 18 but I just thought someone could confirm this as I'd like to make a matching extension to my powerbox with some Anderson Powerpole connectors.

Thanks,
Sébastien

Seb@stro

Thanks for the confirmation, Liam! Right, these Powerpoles are very versatile indeed.

While I’m at it, I’m also going to make another cable extension to power the Pegasus PB Advance (which in turn powers everything else) piggybacked on the OTA using through-the-mount cabling.

I read in the manual a recommendation to use 14 or 16 gauge wires for that purpose so should I assume the internal cable is 14 AWG ? That would help calculate the voltage drop along the whole cable from battery to PPBA and size the extension accordingly...

Sébastien

Dale Ghent

You can just measure the output of the psu with a multimeter, then hook the psu up to the mount and measure the voltage again at the output on the dec axis. The difference is your voltage drop.

On Apr 8, 2021, at 22:26, Seb@stro <sebastiendore1@hotmail.com> wrote:

Thanks for the confirmation, Liam! Right, these Powerpoles are very versatile indeed.

While I’m at it, I’m also going to make another cable extension to power the Pegasus PB Advance (which in turn powers everything else) piggybacked on the OTA using through-the-mount cabling.

I read in the manual a recommendation to use 14 or 16 gauge wires for that purpose so should I assume the internal cable is 14 AWG ? That would help calculate the voltage drop along the whole cable from battery to PPBA and size the extension accordingly...

Sébastien

Seb@stro

Hello Dale,

Not exactly. Voltage drop is also function of current flowing through the conductor (which I can get from the PPBA) and wire characteristics (mainly gauge ie. cross-section area and length at DC).

To be valid, the experimental method you describe would require to be done under load and would require me to make some kind of adapters to hookup the Multimeter at both ends while every component is consuming its average current.

I could do that but I’m lazy and I figured it was quicker to ask for the wire gauge and do the Math to calculate theoretical voltage drop.

CS!

vk3cjk

Knowing the wire gauge will enable the minimum voltage drop at a certain current to be calculated but it will not take the extra resistance of any poor connections into account.  It's always best to do an end to end test under load.
Cheers, Chris

On Fri, 9 Apr. 2021, 22:59 Seb@stro, <sebastiendore1@...> wrote:
[...]

Chris,

Agree on that. But for sizing my own cable purpose, it's just not worth going the extra effort now.

I'm not looking to resolve a current issue, rather to prevent creating one by undersizing my own cable... If I ran into any problem with poor connectors, thermals will tell soon enough.

CS!

Groups.io Links:

You automatically follow any topics you start or reply to.

View/Reply Online (#77720) | Reply To Group | Reply To Sender | Unfollow This Topic | New Topic
Your Subscription | Contact Group Owner | Unsubscribe [sebastiendore1@...]

_._,_._,_

Howdy,

The through mount power cable inside the Mach 2 is a 24” 16 AWG cable.

Liam

[...]

Thanks again Liam, much appreciated!

Clear skies!
Sébastien

Stone, Jack G

Remember current flows through the wire – so wire that has a lot of small strands will have a lower IR drop.

So not all 14AWG has the same current handling capability – they can differ by quite a bit.

Vendors usually have online calculators for their products.

Also important is the insulation rating

Regards,

Jack ~

[...]

ap@CaptivePhotons.com

And some wire on Amazon and similar places is aluminum and as a rough estimate assume you need a full size increase (for AWG 18 copper use AWG 16 Aluminum, where “size” is 2 numbers, for reasons lost in NEC past).

Copper Clad aluminum (CCA) is even more widely sold, it looks like copper, it is very slightly better than pure aluminum, but is still aluminum.  It’s often really hard on Amazon to tell if something is CCA or copper (on purpose as CCA is much cheaper).

Copper is still the gold standard.   CCA and Aluminum exist to be cheap, really.

[...]

I was looking at SJEOOW Seoprene Cu cable from Southwire (similar to the power cable that goes from the power source to 12-24V input on the CP5). Those are rated at 300V and stay quite flexible even at very low temperature (rated from -50 to 105 Celsius). The 16/2 nominal DCR is 4.05 Ohms/1000ft and composed of 26 strands of 30 AWG conductors.

If I can find it somewhere in bulk quanity, I should be good to go.

CS!
Sébastien

Kenneth Tan

Try getting the cables from Powerwerx. They also supply the Anderson powerpole connectors.

On Sat, 10 Apr 2021 at 01:05, Seb@stro <sebastiendore1@...> wrote:
I was looking at SJEOOW Seoprene Cu cable from Southwire (similar to the power cable that goes from the power source to 12-24V input on the CP5). Those are rated at 300V and stay quite flexible even at very low temperature (rated from -50 to 105 Celsius). The 16/2 nominal DCR is 4.05 Ohms/1000ft and composed of 26 strands of 30 AWG conductors.

If I can find it somewhere in bulk quanity, I should be good to go.

CS!
Sébastien

Christopher Erickson

Some of you people are REALLY over-thinking this...

-Christopher Erickson
Observatory Engineer
Summit Kinetics
Waikoloa, Hawaii

On Fri, Apr 9, 2021 at 7:48 AM Kenneth Tan <ktanhs@...> wrote:
Try getting the cables from Powerwerx. They also supply the Anderson powerpole connectors.

On Sat, 10 Apr 2021 at 01:05, Seb@stro <sebastiendore1@...> wrote:
I was looking at SJEOOW Seoprene Cu cable from Southwire (similar to the power cable that goes from the power source to 12-24V input on the CP5). Those are rated at 300V and stay quite flexible even at very low temperature (rated from -50 to 105 Celsius). The 16/2 nominal DCR is 4.05 Ohms/1000ft and composed of 26 strands of 30 AWG conductors.

If I can find it somewhere in bulk quanity, I should be good to go.

CS!
Sébastien

Kenneth Tan

🤣🤣🤣

On Sat, 10 Apr 2021 at 01:53, Christopher Erickson <christopher.k.erickson@...> wrote:
[...]

Mike Dodd

On 4/9/2021 1:52 PM, Christopher Erickson wrote:
Some of you people are REALLY over-thinking this...
That's what I was going to say.

Technically, all the points made were valid, but practically, to power an AP mount, don't over-think it! Get some 16AWG insulated stranded copper wire (14AWG for REALLY long runs), and be done with it.

--- Mike
http://astronomy.mdodd.com

Seb@stro

Some of you people are REALLY over-thinking this...

Christopher, I plead guilty. 😬

But as you'll certainly agree, better do it right once and for all. I personnaly don't like oversizing everything just to be on the safe side when I know I can optimize something. But that's just me, trying to pull every tenth of an ounce of performance out of my equipment...

And hey, system integration is half the fun of this hobby. Using AP equipement doesn't leave many things to fuss with so I thought why not try to bring the rest to the same standard.

CS!
Sébastien

Seb@stro

Kenneth,

Yeah, tought of that but I found them a bit expensive to ship to my location (Canada) so I got them from a local dealer instead. Thanks anyway.

CS!
Sébastien

Try getting the cables from Powerwerx. They also supply the Anderson powerpole connectors.

On Sat, 10 Apr 2021 at 01:05, Seb@stro <sebastiendore1@...> wrote:
I was looking at SJEOOW Seoprene Cu cable from Southwire (similar to the power cable that goes from the power source to 12-24V input on the CP5). Those are rated at 300V and stay quite flexible even at very low temperature (rated from -50 to 105 Celsius). The 16/2 nominal DCR is 4.05 Ohms/1000ft and composed of 26 strands of 30 AWG conductors.

If I can find it somewhere in bulk quanity, I should be good to go.

CS!
Sébastien

Christopher Erickson

At least nobody started talking about skin effect, nominal velocity of propagation, current NEC electrical code requirements, insulation dielectric characteristics, breakdown voltages, mutual inductance, impedance, hysteresis, magnetic fields, reluctance, EMI shielding, plating techniques, ductility, annealing, connector MTBF, connector insertion lifetimes, NEMA ratings, EMP, lightning protection, R-56 compliance, insulation color coding, insulation UV ratings, US vs. ISO specifications, suppleness.......

-Christopher Erickson
Observatory engineer
Waikoloa, HI 96738
www.summitkinetics.com

On Fri, Apr 9, 2021, 9:36 AM Seb@stro <sebastiendore1@...> wrote:
[...]

Mike,

Technically, all the points made were valid, but practically, to power an AP mount, don't over-think it!

It doesn't change a thing if the mount is an AP or other brand, minimum voltage requirement needs to be met for proper operation.

Besides, the extension I plan to make with that cable isn't even to power the mount, but rather my pegasus powerbox to which all cameras, NUC and peripherals are connected. All this can pull significant amperage at times, hence causing the undesirable voltage drop (the NUC is the most unpredictable part of the system). I should probably have added that my setup is for 100% portable use (so weight is also a concern) and aims to be powered by a single 12V 24Ah sealed battery, even in the cold winter nights I can get at my place (-20 to -25C).

But to those who don't require/like to fiddle with that level of optimization, I agree using a higher gauge might be the way to go...

CS!
Sébastien