Topics

Possible to install the RAPAS + RAPM2 on the left side of the #Mach2GTO RA axis ? #Mach2GTO

Seb@stro

Hello everyone,

I was watching Tony's (aka Harley Davidson) latest and much useful videos about his new Mach2 (lucky guy, mine is scheduled for delivery in January) and one of them (ref. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-Ltoqabn8k) made me wonder if it was possible to install the RAPAS+RAPM2 on the left side of the RA axis with the same adapter or say a left-sided version of the RAPM2.

I would find it more practical and comfortable to use my right eye when polar aligning (me being right-handed as well). I therfore wouldn't have to rotate the scope 90 degrees prior to PA, saving a few seconds / minutes more while I setup (I'm mobile most of the time).

Anyway, I think it would be a nice additional feature to be able to choose which side suits you best if it isn't already possible...

CS!
Sébastien

KHursh

It looks like it would place the eyepiece upside down if you mounted on the left.

Harley Davidson

Sébastien

The left side of the Mach2 mount does not have any tapped holes to receive the RAPM2. The Mach2 mount comes with the proper tapped holes only on the right side (as viewed from the rear) and shown in my video. BUT, if it did have tapped holes on the left an adapter would need to be made for the left side as the RAPM2 only works on the right.

tony

On 12/6/2020 3:45 PM, Seb@stro wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the info Tony.

Then I wonder if many other Mach2 users could have the same need which would make it worth the effort for AP to drill and tap similar holes on the left side and make such an adapter in a Mach2 version 2 maybe ?

Sébastien

Dean Jacobsen

I use my right eye with the RAPAS in the present configuration.
--
Dean Jacobsen
http://astrophoto.net/wp/

Seb@stro

Dean,

That would be good news, though I think I would prefer it on the left side anyway. Just to make sure I'm being clear my assumption is using the RAPAS with the mount in Park 3 (scope pointing toward the pole).

What scope (size) are you using ? I plan on using it with an Edge C8... Do you think that could do it ?

Sébastien

Dean Jacobsen

Sebastien, you don't need to put the Mach2 in any particular park configuration to start it up.  So it is OK if you just push the scope off to the left side a little to get your head down to the RAPAS and make the adjustments.  You can then start up the mount without having to return the scope to Park 3.  Because of the encoders the Mach2 knows where it is at startup and doesn't need to be started at any particular position.
--
Dean Jacobsen
http://astrophoto.net/wp/
Amateur Radio Call Sign - W6DBJ

Roland Christen

That would be good news, though I think I would prefer it on the left side anyway. Just to make sure I'm being clear my assumption is using the RAPAS with the mount in Park 3 (scope pointing toward the pole).
I point my scope at Park2 and have no problem accessing the eyepiece with my right eye.