Topics

Possible to install the RAPAS + RAPM2 on the left side of the #Mach2GTO RA axis ? #Mach2GTO

Seb@stro

Hello everyone,

I was watching Tony's (aka Harley Davidson) latest and much useful videos about his new Mach2 (lucky guy, mine is scheduled for delivery in January) and one of them (ref. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-Ltoqabn8k) made me wonder if it was possible to install the RAPAS+RAPM2 on the left side of the RA axis with the same adapter or say a left-sided version of the RAPM2.

I would find it more practical and comfortable to use my right eye when polar aligning (me being right-handed as well). I therfore wouldn't have to rotate the scope 90 degrees prior to PA, saving a few seconds / minutes more while I setup (I'm mobile most of the time).

Anyway, I think it would be a nice additional feature to be able to choose which side suits you best if it isn't already possible...

CS!
Sébastien

KHursh

It looks like it would place the eyepiece upside down if you mounted on the left.

Harley Davidson

Sébastien

The left side of the Mach2 mount does not have any tapped holes to receive the RAPM2. The Mach2 mount comes with the proper tapped holes only on the right side (as viewed from the rear) and shown in my video. BUT, if it did have tapped holes on the left an adapter would need to be made for the left side as the RAPM2 only works on the right.

tony

On 12/6/2020 3:45 PM, Seb@stro wrote:
Hello everyone,

I was watching Tony's (aka Harley Davidson) latest and much useful videos about his new Mach2 (lucky guy, mine is scheduled for delivery in January) and one of them (ref. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-Ltoqabn8k) made me wonder if it was possible to install the RAPAS+RAPM2 on the left side of the RA axis with the same adapter or say a left-sided version of the RAPM2.

I would find it more practical and comfortable to use my right eye when polar aligning (me being right-handed as well). I therfore wouldn't have to rotate the scope 90 degrees prior to PA, saving a few seconds / minutes more while I setup (I'm mobile most of the time).

Anyway, I think it would be a nice additional feature to be able to choose which side suits you best if it isn't already possible...

CS!
Sébastien

Seb@stro

Thanks for the info Tony.

Then I wonder if many other Mach2 users could have the same need which would make it worth the effort for AP to drill and tap similar holes on the left side and make such an adapter in a Mach2 version 2 maybe ?

Sébastien

Dean Jacobsen

I use my right eye with the RAPAS in the present configuration.
--
Dean Jacobsen
http://astrophoto.net/wp/
Image Gallery - http://astrophoto.net/wp/image-gallery/
Astrobin Image Gallery - https://www.astrobin.com/users/deanjacobsen/ 
Amateur Radio Call Sign - W6DBJ

Seb@stro

Dean,

That would be good news, though I think I would prefer it on the left side anyway. Just to make sure I'm being clear my assumption is using the RAPAS with the mount in Park 3 (scope pointing toward the pole).

What scope (size) are you using ? I plan on using it with an Edge C8... Do you think that could do it ?

Sébastien

Dean Jacobsen

Sebastien, you don't need to put the Mach2 in any particular park configuration to start it up.  So it is OK if you just push the scope off to the left side a little to get your head down to the RAPAS and make the adjustments.  You can then start up the mount without having to return the scope to Park 3.  Because of the encoders the Mach2 knows where it is at startup and doesn't need to be started at any particular position.
--
Dean Jacobsen
http://astrophoto.net/wp/
Image Gallery - http://astrophoto.net/wp/image-gallery/
Astrobin Image Gallery - https://www.astrobin.com/users/deanjacobsen/ 
Amateur Radio Call Sign - W6DBJ

Roland Christen

That would be good news, though I think I would prefer it on the left side anyway. Just to make sure I'm being clear my assumption is using the RAPAS with the mount in Park 3 (scope pointing toward the pole).
I point my scope at Park2 and have no problem accessing the eyepiece with my right eye.

Rolando

-----Original Message-----
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Sent: Mon, Dec 7, 2020 2:38 pm
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] Possible to install the RAPAS + RAPM2 on the left side of the #Mach2GTO RA axis ?

Dean,

What scope (size) are you using ? I plan on using it with an Edge C8... Do you think that could do it ?

Sébastien

--
Roland Christen
Astro-Physics

Seb@stro

It was not really about the hassle to return to a known park (or home) position, as like you pointed out, everywhere is home and known with AE. Apart from relieving my head from being squeezed between the SCT and the RAPAS, I also had in mind saving my poor little fingers from touching freezing cold metal as much as possible on a -25C (-13F) crisp and clear night...

I realize this is probably not a big issue to most users (having to rotate the scope before PA) but I thought it could nevertheless be a nice ergonomic feature to be able to choose the side you're most comfortable with and which best suits the scope and equipment you have.

Seems simple to implement too : add two new tapped holes + mirror the RAPM2 design... Easy as two copy/paste operation ! ;-) 

Roland Christen

Just park to Park2. Problem solved.

Rolando

Sent: Mon, Dec 7, 2020 8:03 pm
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] Possible to install the RAPAS + RAPM2 on the left side of the #Mach2GTO RA axis ?

It was not really about the hassle to return to a known park (or home) position, as like you pointed out, everywhere is home and known with AE. Apart from relieving my head from being squeezed between the SCT and the RAPAS, I also had in mind saving my poor little fingers from touching freezing cold metal as much as possible on a -25C (-13F) crisp and clear night...

I realize this is probably not a big issue to most users (having to rotate the scope before PA) but I thought it could nevertheless be a nice ergonomic feature to be able to choose the side you're most comfortable with and which best suits the scope and equipment you have.

Seems simple to implement too : add two new tapped holes + mirror the RAPM2 design... Easy as two copy/paste operation ! ;-) 

--
Roland Christen
Astro-Physics

Roland Christen

Just so you know, there are a number of parts that are carved out of solid stock on a CNC machine. Each of the parts has tooling and fixtures made to hold the parts in place while operations are done on all the sides. making a mirror image of all these parts entails making another set of tooling and fixtures, so It's not a simple matter of just making a mirror image. And then there's the matter of the extra inventory that has to be carried, not knowing how many of each to stock, and the taxes that go along with the extra inventory.

Rolando

To: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io>
Sent: Mon, Dec 7, 2020 9:46 pm

Just park to Park2. Problem solved.

Rolando

Sent: Mon, Dec 7, 2020 8:03 pm

--
Roland Christen
Astro-Physics

Seb@stro

Please don’t get me wrong, I’m well aware that more often than not, seemingly simple things rely on a world of complexity and effort (I’m an EE), hence my choice of words : “seems simple”.

Just thought I’d share an idea, as these are often foundation of progress. 

Would definitely be nice to have that left-sided adapter though... or even better, a reversible one that could fit both sides! 🙃

Sébastien