Please make APCC stop creating virtual ports when set to "none"

ap@CaptivePhotons.com

I continue to get virtual ports created under certain conditions, I believe when APCC starts without the mount connected to power (which occasionally happens if some program with an ASCOM V2 connection starts, like stellarium, while it is sitting inside).

This results in creating two COM ports, which hang around and then appear to occasionally conflict with other real USB devices in subsequent runs depending on the startup order.

I have the virtual port page set to "None" in all slots, have deleted all virtual com ports, deleted all residual virtual com ports (whatever the difference is).  But still I discover COM3 and COM4 back again occasionally, usually without noticing them (since a lot of the startup of things is fairly automated) until some device does not work.

Would you consider making APCC really honor the "None" setting?  I suspect it is trying in some fashion to be helpful, thinking "well, it didn't connect so it must be because there are no virtual ports".  That's not helpful, really.

Linwood

Ray Gralak

Hi Linwood,

Would you consider making APCC really honor the "None" setting?
That's already been done (and more :-) but we are still testing and documenting the changes in the next APCC point release.

Until then, if you start APCC first, it will not create virtual ports when they are set to "None". The ASCOM driver tells APCC to create virtual ports if the driver has to start APCC, but this won't happen if APCC is already running. This was done to help make the connection process more robust.

Alternatively, you could manually set the two virtual ports to a high port number so that they will be "out of the way" of the ports other devices may want to use.

-Ray

On Fri, Sep 23, 2022 at 08:49 AM, Ray Gralak wrote:
Would you consider making APCC really honor the "None" setting?
That's already been done (and more :-) but we are still testing and documenting the changes in the next APCC point release.
That's terrific, thank you.  It's manageable as is, clearly, just annoying.  Glad to hear you are ahead of me!

Linwood