plate solve/recal help

Hi folks - and probably Ray specifically ;)

my plate solve/recals have gone awry - Any suggestions on how to debug are welcome

everything's worked great until a few nights ago
now plate solves result in the telescope pointing into the ground

PlateSolveSyncNow: HA,RA,Dec= 0.207194417504546,  -15980.579 min,  -49.794 arc-min

things i've done:
I checked my date/time/location settings and they all seem correct.

Reset the scope to Park 3 via clutches, power cycled the mount and re-init to park 3 as well

zipped logs:

Ray Gralak

Hi Brian,

It looked like there was a plate solve/sync near the celestial pole. That's a bad area of the sky to do a plate solve because RA can be very inaccurate. Could this be the problem?

-Ray

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dcabmu6ceju2v53/ApccZip-Greg_Stein-2021-10-26-205641.zip?dl=0

--

Brian

Brian Valente
portfolio brianvalentephotography.com <http://brianvalentephotography.com>

Hi Ray

i don't think so - i slewed to HA=0 DEC=0 and did the solve and recal there.

I think the "near the pole" was when i disconnected APCC to restart it and it safety slewed to park. I attempted to solve again but realized it was at the pole so i cancelled.

I have done this about 4 separate times over 3 nights at HA=0 DEC=0 and after a blind solve (plate solve always fails) the scope ends up looking like the below. Although now that I look at it, it looks like it solved 180 degrees opposite? I re-checked my location/date/time/timezone, but it looks correct.

do I correctly recall there's a "southern hemisphere" checkbox somewhere?

image.png

On Tue, Oct 26, 2021 at 7:30 PM Ray Gralak <iogroups@...> wrote:
Hi Brian,

It looked like there was a plate solve/sync near the celestial pole. That's a bad area of the sky to do a plate solve because RA can be very inaccurate. Could this be the problem?

-Ray

Ray cancel that - it looks like i had a model issue - maybe bad model or model not loaded

it seems to be working okay now

On Tue, Oct 26, 2021 at 7:30 PM Ray Gralak <iogroups@...> wrote:
Hi Brian,

It looked like there was a plate solve/sync near the celestial pole. That's a bad area of the sky to do a plate solve because RA can be very inaccurate. Could this be the problem?

-Ray

Brian,

There is no Southern Hemisphere checkbox.

It looks like the problem was a bad pointing model. Open the pointing model tab and make sure there are no unusually high pointing terms. If you were trying Dec Arc Tracking, you should try the 1.9.1.3 beta version, which protects against super-high pointing terms.

On Tue, Oct 26, 2021 at 7:30 PM Ray Gralak <iogroups@siriusimaging.com> wrote:

Hi Brian,

It looked like there was a plate solve/sync near the celestial pole. That's a bad area of the sky to do a
plate solve because RA can be very inaccurate. Could this be the problem?

-Ray

Ah, I just posted a response! Yes, the pointing model was producing some really wild offsets for some reason.

-Ray