Topics

PEMPro results

Eric Dreher

Edited

Last night our transparency conditions were not the greatest, but seeing was good so I though I'd do a PEMPro for my 2017 Mach1GTO.

Initially I was a bit let-down after seeing the +/- 4.7 arc/sec of period error, but this is a three year-old mount.  I've seen comments that the 7" pk/pk applies to mounts newly acquired.  I was very impressed about the textbook sinusoidal PE graph produced after six worm periods.  A very smooth pattern/curve on its own.

My initial RMS was 1.06 which was reduced to 0.298 in the final results after the PE curve was uploaded to my mount.  I did have some difficulty with PEMPro not wanting to invert the curve which was necessary.  I restarted PEMPro and saw the splash screen come up for well over 45 seconds.  I was patient and waited for it to disappear, which is finally did.  I was then able to invert and upload the curve to my mount, but I'm not sure why the delay.

My pk/pk error was flatlined.  This was the first time I'd used PEMPro, despite having owned it for several years.  The "fear factor" is gone, and I'm looking forward to doing this again every few months.  This is an incredible piece of software that works well, does what it says, and makes a huge difference in your guiding.  My RMS results were in the low 0.4x", with RA now closer to DEC results.

Thanks, Ray.

Eric

Ray Gralak

Hi Eric,

Thanks for the great feedback! I am glad you are happy with the results using PEMPro!

-Ray Gralak
Author of PEMPro

[...]

CurtisC

On Sun, Sep 13, 2020 at 08:57 AM, Eric Dreher wrote:
Initially I was a bit let-down after seeing the +/- 4.7 arc/sec of period error, but this is a three year-old mount.
I am in awe.  My Mach1GTO dates from 2010.  Typical p-to-p error is 17 to 19.

CurtisC

On Sun, Sep 13, 2020 at 08:57 AM, Eric Dreher wrote:
I did have some difficulty with PEMPro not wanting to invert the curve which was necessary.
Be sure you do the last step of PEMPro calibration, the step that produces the L-pattern.  In the distant past I had to invert the curves, but that was because I skipped the last calibration step.

>>> Be sure you do the last step of PEMPro calibration, the step that produces the L-pattern.  In the distant past I had to invert the curves, but that was because I skipped the last calibration step.

just to clarify, that's the last step of the Calibration Wizard

All the steps in the calibration wizard are important to complete, especially the "L" orientation, which as mentioned previously will set the correct camera orientation

--
Brian

Brian Valente

Eric Dreher

Edited

I did do all calibrations steps.  It ended up doing every it was supposed to do.  Considering this was my first attempt, I'll have no reservations doing this every few months.  Excellent results.  I went on to PHD2 and found that my RA RMS was now slightly less than DEC RMS; 0.32" to 0.38", with a total of 0.42".  That has never happened until now.