Payload AP1200GTO

Geert

Hello,

A question: I have an AP1200GTO on a fixed concrete pillar in an observatory.  Would this handle the following load: a 300 mm f/4 newton with a weight of approximately 20kg (including camera) and piggy-back a 150mm f/7 triplet refractor, all in all also 20 kg.  Total weight of 40kg is well within specs but I am concerned about the longer arm by putting the heavy refractor piggyback on the newton?!  Side-by-side is no option, also very difficult to balance.

Thanks for your thoughts,

Geert

_._,_._,_

For more info visit www.bullguard.com

Peter Bresler

This works for me. An additional camera and EFW are on the refractor, total weight at least 75 lbs.

Jeff B

Well, you are hanging that extra 20 kg out there a good 300mm over where it would be "normally" so it acts like twice that.  But the mount should handle it.  I had a 300mm F7.2 Newtonian weighing a solid 45 kg when completely configured for use on my 1200 and it did just fine with that long load.  I'd be more concerned about flexure and I'd slow the slew rate down to 600x.  Of course, you can always try it and see what happens.

Jeff

On Fri, Feb 5, 2021 at 8:28 AM Geert <geert.vandenbulcke@...> wrote:

Hello,

A question: I have an AP1200GTO on a fixed concrete pillar in an observatory.  Would this handle the following load: a 300 mm f/4 newton with a weight of approximately 20kg (including camera) and piggy-back a 150mm f/7 triplet refractor, all in all also 20 kg.  Total weight of 40kg is well within specs but I am concerned about the longer arm by putting the heavy refractor piggyback on the newton?!  Side-by-side is no option, also very difficult to balance.

Thanks for your thoughts,

Geert

Jeff B

Peter, there is something you can do about that infestation working its way up the pier, but it requires professional help.  😁

Jeff

On Fri, Feb 5, 2021 at 10:23 AM Jeff B via groups.io <mnebula946=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Roland Christen

Yes, it would handle that.

A question: I have an AP1200GTO on a fixed concrete pillar in an observatory.  Would this handle the following load: a 300 mm f/4 newton with a weight of approximately 20kg (including camera) and piggy-back a 150mm f/7 triplet refractor, all in all also 20 kg.  Total weight of 40kg is well within specs but I am concerned about the longer arm by putting the heavy refractor piggyback on the newton?!  Side-by-side is no option, also very difficult to balance.

Thanks for your thoughts,

Geert

vk3cjk

Hello Geert,

Just to add to the examples given, I've also got a GTO1200 on a concrete and steel pier (3.3 metres tall but very solid) in an observatory, and the mount comfortably handles a 14" SCT (about 28 kg from memory) with a 5" refractor piggybacked.   I always slew at x600 or less.

Cheers, Chris

On Sat, Feb 6, 2021 at 12:28 AM Geert <geert.vandenbulcke@...> wrote:

Hello,

A question: I have an AP1200GTO on a fixed concrete pillar in an observatory.  Would this handle the following load: a 300 mm f/4 newton with a weight of approximately 20kg (including camera) and piggy-back a 150mm f/7 triplet refractor, all in all also 20 kg.  Total weight of 40kg is well within specs but I am concerned about the longer arm by putting the heavy refractor piggyback on the newton?!  Side-by-side is no option, also very difficult to balance.

Thanks for your thoughts,

Geert

carlburton2001

My 1200 GTO is 19 years old.  Lived in a garage & was rolled out for imaging until last June when I finally had a roll-off.  C14 piggyback with a 150mm refractor & cold cables.  I regressed the mount twice I think.  Here is tracking data from a couple nights ago from MI.

carlburton2001

Last image was pretty blurry.   APCC Pro with no model btw

Roland Christen

Looks great!

My 1200 GTO is 19 years old.  Lived in a garage & was rolled out for imaging until last June when I finally had a roll-off.  C14 piggyback with a 150mm refractor & cold cables.  I regressed the mount twice I think.  Here is tracking data from a couple nights ago from MI.

Those gearboxes get pretty smooth after years of running.