OT - Mosquito fogging the observing area ANY ISSUES

Harley Davidson

Hello guys. I am sure with all the knowledge on this group you could be of help. Subject: Mosquitoes. When I get bit the area swells up without even scratching it. I hate them but they love me.

I've tried every type of product from sprays, lotions, and gimmicky machines.

I bought this fogging machine that I want to use while observing at night (see pictures herein). It uses propane canisters and liquid to produce a fog to kill the mosquitoes. The question becomes is it okay to spray in the area of your equipment if the lens and eyepiece end have covers on them? I always setup in the daytime. It may be out most of the day or from the night before ready for the next evening. Of course I would "fog" the area prior to each evenings observing session.

Any concerns I should be aware of using this product and equipment in the area of use? Again, I have never used a fogging device before.

Thanks for your input!  tony

thefamily90 Phillips

I do not know anything about the tigger you are using but if everything is covered I don't see a problem.

On the other hand, I use a Thermacell portable mosquito repellent, and it is highly effective. I started using one years ago and I am sold on its ability to keep mosquitoes away.

JimP

Image.jpeg

[...]

Jim H

Citronella plants and a fan works great for me! Our mosquitos up in northern WI are wimpy. In CA mountains they are more aggressive.

Jim

On Sun, Jul 3, 2022 at 7:44 AM thefamily90 Phillips <thefamily90@...> wrote:
[...]

South Carolina and Florida mosquitoes are awful.

Jim P

[...]

M Hambrick

I have never used a fogger, but it seems like a good idea. I usually burn the incense-type mosquito repellent coils throughout the evening. One coil will last about 4-1/2 hours. I keep them burning on the bottom shelf of the cart that I use as a desk for my laptop.

I would expect that the foggers might work best when the mosquitos are just starting to wake up in the evening. Here in Southeast Texas, they seem to be at their worst right at dusk. It would seem that as long as you fog before they leave their resting place (usually in the grass), you can kill most of them before they swarm.

Mike

Harley Davidson

Thanks Mike.   I tried the incense type myself. Would not keep those mosquitoes away. I had four burning at one time.

That is what I was thinking too Mike. Get them down low in the grass area. That may be the secret. Have not used it yet. Of course you will get fog drifting elsewhere.

tony

On 7/3/2022 12:06 PM, M Hambrick wrote:
I have never used a fogger, but it seems like a good idea. I usually burn the incense-type mosquito repellent coils throughout the evening. One coil will last about 4-1/2 hours. I keep them burning on the bottom shelf of the cart that I use as a desk for my laptop.

I would expect that the foggers might work best when the mosquitos are just starting to wake up in the evening. Here in Southeast Texas, they seem to be at their worst right at dusk. It would seem that as long as you fog before they leave their resting place (usually in the grass), you can kill most of them before they swarm.

Mike

Harley Davidson

Very interesting Jim. Now if I can just keep plants alive. Had a cactus plant die in 30 days.

tony

On 7/3/2022 12:50 PM, Jim H wrote:
[...]

Nathan Myhrvold

Head nets and insect proof clothing work for me, along with 3M Ultrathon – which is an encapsulated DEET.   One site was so bad that afterward I actually bought a beekeeper’s jacket and helmet.   It looks super strange, but where I image nobody sees anyway.  Beekeeper’s jackets are serious  - much more so than a mesh net.   If the mesh is against your body mosquitoes can bite though the mesh.   The bee jacket are a dimensionally thick mesh which allows air to go through but is thicker than a stinger.   But best of all is to go the desert where there aren’t any mosquitoes, and that is my main solution.

Nathan

[...]

WOW, you are hard core Nathan! I will check into that, thanks.

tony

On 7/3/2022 7:35 PM, Nathan Myhrvold wrote:

[...]

The have them on amazon.com

Nathan
Going mobile

[...]

Christopher M

"Harold, there's a GHOST next door!   I saw this white human like thing hanging around the middle of the neighbours yard last night, I swear!"
Yeah, a full beekeeper's suit at night won't look weird at all.  But if it works....  :)