OT - anyone at this total solar in 1991

Harley Davidson

Thirty years ago today. So hard to believe time passed so quickly. This video link I became aware of from a FB post: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1A94mD6nt-c  I had never seen it before. They did a great job.

I was in LaPaz.

tony

Steven

Tony, I was at El Presidente Hotel and your images look very familiar in parts.

Steve
NZ

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> on behalf of Harley Davidson <astrocnc@...>
Sent: Sunday, 11 July 2021 6:42 PM
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io>; main@ap-ug.groups.io <main@ap-ug.groups.io>
Subject: [ap-gto] OT - anyone at this total solar in 1991

Thirty years ago today. So hard to believe time passed so quickly. This
video link I became aware of from a FB post:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1A94mD6nt-c  I had never seen it before.
They did a great job.

I was in LaPaz.

tony

Elenillor

I was there on the S&T tour in LaPaz staying at the Los Arcos. Yes that was a while ago.

Elenillor

To be a bit on topic, Astrophysics made some wonderful prints of the eclipse that they sold. I have one in my den and consider it the best pre-digital eclipse photo I have seen. For digital I give that award to Miloslave Druckmuller. I happened to share a room with him on cruise ship which was part of the 2006 eclipse tour to Libya.

stlrvus

I too was at the El Presidente.  I actually saw myself in some of the videos posted for San Jose del Cabo!  Thirty years ago indeed!  What a lifetime memory!

Jose

Steven

Great it was Jose.
S

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> on behalf of stlrvus <jmagsaysay58@...>
Sent: Sunday, 11 July 2021 11:48 PM
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] OT - anyone at this total solar in 1991

I too was at the El Presidente.  I actually saw myself in some of the videos posted for San Jose del Cabo!  Thirty years ago indeed!  What a lifetime memory!

Jose

Kent Kirkley

I was on the beach in Cabo with my family. I had searched the area for a good location but
found the beach in front of our condo the best. I dragged a 4x8 ft. sheet of plywood from a nearby
construction site to sit my equipment on. I had a small portable equatorial mount which I polar aligned
an hour or so before dawn. It was next to a palapa that I could use to get out of the sun when needed.
A couple hours before totality a 'scientific' group arrived and said they needed my spot and I had to move.
NFW! I refused and it was a great eclipse.
Kent Kirkley

-----Original Message-----
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Sent: Sun, Jul 11, 2021 10:48 pm

Jose

Harley Davidson

Elenillor

I have pictures of him setting up equipment.

tony

On 7/11/2021 7:01 PM, Elenillor wrote:
I was there on the S&T tour in LaPaz staying at the Los Arcos. Yes that was a while ago.

Harley Davidson

Elenillor

Yes, I remember Miloslave Druckmuller always had beautiful images.

tony

On 7/11/2021 7:07 PM, Elenillor wrote:
To be a bit on topic, Astrophysics made some wonderful prints of the eclipse that they sold. I have one in my den and consider it the best pre-digital eclipse photo I have seen. For digital I give that award to Miloslave Druckmuller. I happened to share a room with him on cruise ship which was part of the 2006 eclipse tour to Libya.

Harley Davidson

Don't blame you Kent.

tony

On 7/12/2021 2:00 AM, Kent Kirkley via groups.io wrote:
I was on the beach in Cabo with my family. I had searched the area for a good location but
found the beach in front of our condo the best. I dragged a 4x8 ft. sheet of plywood from a nearby
construction site to sit my equipment on. I had a small portable equatorial mount which I polar aligned
an hour or so before dawn. It was next to a palapa that I could use to get out of the sun when needed.
A couple hours before totality a 'scientific' group arrived and said they needed my spot and I had to move.
NFW! I refused and it was a great eclipse.
Kent Kirkley

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Sun, Jul 11, 2021 10:48 pm

Jose

Michael Hamburg

I was in Cabo San Lucas on the beach where everyone broke down in tears at this my first eclipse. Looking forward to 2024.

Best wishes, Michael

On Sunday, July 11, 2021, 11:48:13 PM EDT, stlrvus <jmagsaysay58@...> wrote:

Jose

Karen Christen

Elenillor is correct.  Marj and Roland went to Mexico in 1991 and managed to capture what is, in my opinion, the most amazing eclipse pic on film.  It was their first magazine cover - on S&T’s Oct 1991 issue.   I was stationed in Iceland at the time and was thrilled when they sent me a print of the photo along with a copy of the S&T issue.  I still have them both on my living room wall, and we have a large print in our conference room here at AP. 

We’re all very much looking forward to 2024!

Karen

AP 

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> On Behalf Of Elenillor
Sent: Sunday, July 11, 2021 6:08 PM

--
Karen Christen
Astro-Physics

Fisanotti, John

I watched the eclipse from a beach south of La Paz in Baja.  It was my first total solar eclipse.  Later, I bought a 16” x 20 “ print of the eclipse, sold by Sky & Telescope.  It is Roland’s picture.  I still have the print.

John Fisanotti

Scanned by McAfee and confirmed virus-free.

Barry Megdal

Don’t recall the hotel name, but we were in Cabo.  The hotel was the southernmost one on Baja, with beaches on both sides of the peninsula.  A great experience.

I tried to see the next Saros 136 eclipse (almost as long as the ‘91 eclipse) in Shanghai in 2009, but all we saw was a thunderstorm….there will not be a longer one until 2078, which I don’t expect to be around to see.

-        Barry

Dr. Barry Megdal

President

Shb Instruments, Inc.

19215 Parthenia St.  Suite A

Northridge, CA 91324

www.shbinstruments.com

(818) 773-2000  (818)773-2005 fax

bmegdal@...

Faculty (retired)

Dept. of Electrical Engineering

Caltech

jon@...

I was clouded out on the Big Island of Hawaii with a team from Hopkins Observatory / Williams College. Months of preparation down the drain! Useful perspective on life though.