One computer I can create a virtual port. Second computer says I have to buy a license for the activeX control (virtual port) for this computer. #APCC

Micheal Fields Jr

So I have two computers that I am setting up.  My main PC (desktop gaming system) and a little Mini pc.  On the little guy everything seems to work as it should.

ON the main PC system I have an issue where when I try to create a virtual port it has a pop up saying I need to buy a license for the virtual port software.  $139 for the cheap one.

I am trying to test out point mapping on my new Mach2 but haven't been able to yet because of that license requirement.

I uninstalled everything AP related and did a full re-install and nothing has changed.   So while my little PC seems to be working, I would like to be able to use my main PC while I am at home as it is more comfortable and quick and easier to work with.  (dual monitors and all that).

Anyone know what I am talking about and how to resolve this?

Edited

What version of APCC are you running? and is it the same or different version than the PC that works

--
Brian

Brian Valente

Ray Gralak

ON the main PC system I have an issue where when I try to create a virtual port it has a pop up saying I need to buy a
license for the virtual port software. $139 for the cheap one.
There is a step in the APCC installer which will install the virtual ports on your computer. If you don't perform that step then you will not get the licensed virtual port components on that computer.

So, try reinstalling APCC Pro and enable the checkbox in the installer to install the virtual ports component.

-Ray Gralak
Author of PEMPro

[...]

Hi Ray,  Yes I have done that about 5 times in the last hour.  I even used geek uninstaller to make sure it found every trace in the registry and removed it so I could do a fresh install but still no joy. But I also realize that it is a device driver so maybe the move is to go into devices, find the device driver, and remove it there. Then re-install everything?

On Sat, Dec 19, 2020 at 07:55 PM, Ray Gralak wrote:
[...]

Uninstalling is not going to help. It's because it is *not* installed that you are getting that license request.

Make sure the windows account is an administrator account, not just a regular user account.

Also, is this computer running Windows 10 Home/Pro?

-Ray Gralak
Author of PEMPro

[...]

One other thing you might try is temporarily turn off your anti-virus software as it may be blocking the virtual port component from being registered.

-Ray Gralak
Author of PEMPro

[...]

10 Pro.  Ray, I checked that box each time.  I am going to experiment further on it.

BTW, one thing I noticed (unrelated to this issue) is that the "mount location" under the section on the left side of the "site" tab does not fill in the latitude.  I am using the MGbox and all the GPS info is there on the right portion of the site information.  So when I went to create a model the latitude area was all zeros.  But I went ahead and made a model.  Then it showed considerable error and when I told the mount, via Sky X Pro, to slew to Mars, it was well away from Mars and when I took a 1 second exposure the stars were tailing.

So I disconnected everything and turned off the mount for a few seconds, then powered it back up again and when I hit "refresh" the values finally showed up.

I am not making a second model for the night to see if things improve pointing wise.

I used Sharpcap Pro polar alignment and was within 20 arc seconds so I know my polar alignment was not near as bad as the model displayed.

This is on my mini pc that doesn't have the virtual port issue.  I just wanted to mention it.

On Sat, Dec 19, 2020 at 08:50 PM, Ray Gralak wrote:
[...]

Only have the default windows security stuff.  No different than any of my computers including the one that works.  But I will turn it all off anyways and see what happens. Thanks

On Sat, Dec 19, 2020 at 08:53 PM, Ray Gralak wrote:
[...]

Mount latitude cannot be changed except after the mount is power-cycled. So, if you get the Lat/Long from the MGBox, you must create a site, then assign that site for mount initialization. Then power cycle the mount and let APCC initialize from that site information.

-Ray Gralak
Author of PEMPro

[...]

Hi Michael,

BTW, one thing I noticed (unrelated to this issue) is that the "mount location" under the section on the left side of the
"site" tab does not fill in the latitude. I am using the MGbox and all the GPS info is there on the right portion of the site
information. So when I went to create a model the latitude area was all zeros. But I went ahead and made a model.
Then it showed considerable error and when I told the mount, via Sky X Pro, to slew to Mars, it was well away from
Mars and when I took a 1 second exposure the stars were tailing.
This sounds like you may be using a version of the ASCOM platform 6.5 that has the "Transform" bug. The symptom is that all the model's plate solves will have the same plate solve coordinates, no matter where in the sky the telescope was pointing.

The solution is to download the latest ASCOM 6.5 SP1 from the ASCOM web site, which has a fix for the Transform bug.

https://ascom-standards.org/

-Ray Gralak
Author of PEMPro

[...]

Bill Long

Turn off your antivirus.

[...]

Uninstall, reboot, reinstall with AV off.

[...]

Yes, I've done that.  There is something wrong where it will not pop up the install option for the virtual com port driver.  The check box is checked (by default) and left alone each time.  I do NOT uncheck it.

I dug out my old computer from the office and installed everything fresh on it and sure enough I can get that install option just fine.  Uninstalling, rebooting, disabling AV etc, makes zero difference.  All systems use the same version of windows with the same options.  Default.

The only thing I can think of is that my main PC is a AMD Ryzen system not Intel.   The other two systems are Intel based.

On Sun, Dec 20, 2020 at 08:02 AM, Bill Long wrote:
[...]

Interesting. I would be surprised if that is the reason, but stranger things have happened.

Just out of curiosity, can you try creating a new Windows user account that has admin privileges and install it from that account?

-Ray Gralak
Author of PEMPro

________________________________

the activeX control (virtual port) for this computer. #APCC

Only have the default windows security stuff. No different than any of my computers including the one that
works. But I will turn it all off anyways and see what happens. Thanks

On Sat, Dec 19, 2020 at 08:53 PM, Ray Gralak wrote:

One other thing you might try is temporarily turn off your anti-virus software as it may be blocking the
virtual port component from being registered.

-Ray Gralak
Author of PEMPro
<https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.astro-physics.com%2Fapcc-
pro&data=04%7C01%7C%7C3bc8a944900d456aff9308d8a4a7bf4c%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1
%7C0%7C637440387656694593%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJ
BTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C1000&sdata=I1zq0W1%2BlU2miV9uUblMxGlu441KoK32TZLBwh53IX0%3D
&reserved=0>
<https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.siriusimaging.com%2Fapdriver&data=04
%7C01%7C%7C3bc8a944900d456aff9308d8a4a7bf4c%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C63
7440387656694593%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwi
LCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C1000&sdata=PX0KPu%2B4RlSO%2F%2FZMHOXnebY32Ga9Byv02Si7m4Z0UCE%3D&res
erved=0>

[...]

%7C0%7C637440387656704590%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJ
BTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C1000&sdata=l3Riq26Ak0SePA7uqoX%2BP5Rb7Ddl9Wv%2BvJKrsS3lEB8%
3D&reserved=0>
<https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.siriusimaging.com%2Fapdriver&data=04
%7C01%7C%7C3bc8a944900d456aff9308d8a4a7bf4c%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C63
7440387656714585%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwi
LCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C1000&sdata=Gs8js0dcKq%2FwzeYreYMo4IPFbuFiD7BmkFOVnpZMf9I%3D&reserved=0>

[...]

Sure I'll try that.  Also I used regedit and went in and attempted to delete anything that had Eltima in case it refused to install based on previous install.

I also notice that just before the APCC install happens there is a flicker of a pop-up window that is just a frame outline.  Nothing that can be read.  It reminds me of a pop-up blocker.
So I wondered if user account control was the issue. I went to inspect and see that I have it all the way down to "don't bother me".

On Sun, Dec 20, 2020 at 01:27 PM, Ray Gralak wrote:

[...]

Ok created a new admin account and re-installed APCC Pro. Same symptom.  The prompt to install the Eltima stuff never shows but there is a brief flicker of a window that is killed.  I have no 3rd party AV stuff installed.  And I have disabled all windows AV, firewalls, etc.  And I have the user account control slider all the way to zero.

Doesn't make any sense at all.  I have several lap top computers laying around.

Ok, I did a bit more investigating.  I grabbed a laptop computer that I have laying around.  I did the install.  Sure enough the Eltima pop-up command box popped up and then my computer asked me to give it permission to install the software.    On my main PC with AMD Ryzen, the box just flickers and closes...

So I looked at the path to the install file.   C:\Program Files(x86)/Astro-Physics\APCC Pro\vspdx_install.exe      So I went into that folder on my Ryzen PC and found the file.  I double click and it still just flickers and closes.  Does not give me a prompt to install.  I went back into user account control and moved the bar all the way to the top and I right clicked on the file and picked "run as administrator"  and the same problem persists.   I made a video showing what it is doing and I didn't find any rules against posting youtube lnks.   https://youtu.be/FwlRM_OtXMc   sorry for the bad quality. Skip to the last 60 seconds if you are not interested in how I installed ascom and all that nonsense.

[...]

The Eltima install window will flicker and disappear. That is normal.

The real question is, when you try to create a Virtual Port in APCC does it still ask for a license?

BTW,nif it does ask for a license try right-clicking the APCC installer and running it "as administrator".

-Ray Gralak
Author of PEMPro

[...]

You say it is normal but on all my installs it prompts me to install.  I'll keep trying.  Not giving up yet.

On Sun, Dec 20, 2020 at 03:25 PM, Ray Gralak wrote:
[...]

Ray,

So today I decided to go ahead and reset my PC. By reset I mean in terms of Windows 10 Reset where it wipes the drive and re-installs from scratch.
I am happy to say that so far everything is working as it should.
One thing I did differently is that there is a Windows 10 feature update/optional that is called [20H2].  I did NOT install that update.   On my other intel based computers that APCC has been working with, this feature update is also not installed.  However I may have had it installed on this PC.  Is this the reason it wasn't working?  Maybe/maybe not.  But it is something to keep in the back of your head in case someone else reports this issue.

On Sun, Dec 20, 2020 at 01:27 PM, Ray Gralak wrote:
The only thing I can think of is that my main PC is a AMD Ryzen system not Intel. The other two systems are Intel
based.
Interesting. I would be surprised if that is the reason, but stranger things have happened.

Just out of curiosity, can you try creating a new Windows user account that has admin privileges and install it from that account?

-Ray Gralak
Author of PEMPro

Bill Long

Very unlikely, but possible.