On AP Telescopes


Marcelo Figueroa
 

To all those interested in AP telescopes, take a look at Ed Ting's latest video on the most collectible telescopes (starting at minute 12:00 if you're in a hurry).
 
Now I want more of a Stowaway :D
 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKjhgd30Fhc


michael mccann
 

I watched that last night, I totally understand how you feel.  
Cheers 


On Nov 21, 2021, at 21:32, Marcelo Figueroa via groups.io <marfig1970@...> wrote:


To all those interested in AP telescopes, take a look at Ed Ting's latest video on the most collectible telescopes (starting at minute 12:00 if you're in a hurry).
 
Now I want more of a Stowaway :D
 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKjhgd30Fhc


M Hambrick
 

Great Video !

Life is full of missed opportunities. When I ordered my first A-P scope back in 1992 I was mainly interested in the 180 EDT, but I was also going to order a Traveler along with it. Unfortunately, my budget could not quite handle two refractors and a mount all at once, so something had to go. I took the Traveler off my order intending to buy one later, but I never did.

Mike


Jeff B
 

I notice Ed went back to the early, pre-ED Starfires, but no further back.  Too bad as the old 5" F6 was/is a complete blast.  Yeah it had some residual aberrations but a 4.5" to 4.0" stop knocked them down without too much of a hit in resolution.  And with the reducer, wow, was it ever a bright telephoto/astrograph (for film back then).  There was also the 4" F6 "Standard Christen Triplet",  "pre-Traveler" from back then too.  Again, with the reducer it was/is a dynomite telephoto, very sharp, color free and easy to handle.  One of the really dumb things I have done (and there have been many) was selling the best sample of that one I had. 

Jeff

On Mon, Nov 22, 2021 at 10:56 AM M Hambrick <mhambrick563@...> wrote:
Great Video !

Life is full of missed opportunities. When I ordered my first A-P scope back in 1992 I was mainly interested in the 180 EDT, but I was also going to order a Traveler along with it. Unfortunately, my budget could not quite handle two refractors and a mount all at once, so something had to go. I took the Traveler off my order intending to buy one later, but I never did.

Mike


dvjbaja
 

My AP Traveler was a great astrograph with the field flattener. Supported 6x7 film format no problem, and when the SBIG ST10 came out, it produced wonderful hydrogen alpha images.    Unfortunately I never warmed up to it visually and eventually, like my domestic automobiles,  sold it for a Japanese import.  No regrets, but I am amused today as to how it has become a "must have" collectible with so many scopes in the same size and F/ratio range.  Out of my collection of AP telescopes, the 254mm Mak-cass is the clear winner when it comes to observing pleasure.  If I can keep only one AP, that would be it.  Well OK, maybe  keep the Stowaway as a finder for it.  ;-) 


On Mon, Nov 22, 2021 at 7:56 AM M Hambrick <mhambrick563@...> wrote:
Great Video !

Life is full of missed opportunities. When I ordered my first A-P scope back in 1992 I was mainly interested in the 180 EDT, but I was also going to order a Traveler along with it. Unfortunately, my budget could not quite handle two refractors and a mount all at once, so something had to go. I took the Traveler off my order intending to buy one later, but I never did.

Mike


Howard Ritter
 

Wow, a 180? That puts you among the Elect, for sure! I bought my 155EDF not long after that, and I can’t recall whether the 180 was by then unavailable or merely unaffordable. The 155 will be one of the OTAs that I’ll be using in rotation on the 1600GTO that’s to be delivered in February and which I’ll mount either on the Giant Field Tripod from my Meade 16” LX200 or on a pier.

—howard

On Nov 22, 2021, at 10:56 AM, M Hambrick <mhambrick563@...> wrote:

Great Video !

Life is full of missed opportunities. When I ordered my first A-P scope back in 1992 I was mainly interested in the 180 EDT, but I was also going to order a Traveler along with it. Unfortunately, my budget could not quite handle two refractors and a mount all at once, so something had to go. I took the Traveler off my order intending to buy one later, but I never did.

Mike


M Hambrick
 

Hi Howard

Yes, I really count myself lucky to have a 180EDT. It is a great scope.

Before I bought the 180EDT I had been debating between a Celestron C14 and a 7-inch F9 Starfire. About the same time that I decided to go with a refractor, A-P introduced the 155EDF with the 4-inch focuser. I really liked the 155EDF and the beautiful astro-photos taken through it that Tony and Daphne Hallas were publishing in the magazines. So, then I had a to decide between the 7-inch F9 Starfire, and the 155EDF. I decided to go with the 7-inch F9 because it had a larger aperture and was considerably cheaper than the 155EDF. I was ready to place an order for the 7-inch Starfire when I learned that A-P had sold out of the 7-inch version. I thought I was out of luck on a large refractor until I talked to Marj on the phone and she told me that they were phasing out the Starfires and going to start producing the new EDT design which would be available in a 180 mm aperture. Shortly after that phone call I placed my order. 

There was no notification list in those days, and I must have been one of the first people to order a 180EDT. The serial number on my lens cell is 18010.

Mike


Howard Ritter
 

Thanks, Mike. I love “origin stories“ like this. I only wish AP still made something in the 175 to 180 mm range. Interesting that Roland’s choice for his Hawaii dark sky site is apparently a 175 Starfire.

On Nov 22, 2021, at 12:38, M Hambrick <mhambrick563@...> wrote:

Hi Howard

Yes, I really count myself lucky to have a 180EDT. It is a great scope.

Before I bought the 180EDT I had been debating between a Celestron C14 and a 7-inch F9 Starfire. About the same time that I decided to go with a refractor, A-P introduced the 155EDF with the 4-inch focuser. I really liked the 155EDF and the beautiful astro-photos taken through it that Tony and Daphne Hallas were publishing in the magazines. So, then I had a to decide between the 7-inch F9 Starfire, and the 155EDF. I decided to go with the 7-inch F9 because it had a larger aperture and was considerably cheaper than the 155EDF. I was ready to place an order for the 7-inch Starfire when I learned that A-P had sold out of the 7-inch version. I thought I was out of luck on a large refractor until I talked to Marj on the phone and she told me that they were phasing out the Starfires and going to start producing the new EDT design which would be available in a 180 mm aperture. Shortly after that phone call I placed my order. 

There was no notification list in those days, and I must have been one of the first people to order a 180EDT. The serial number on my lens cell is 18010.

Mike


Roland Christen
 


I only wish AP still made something in the 175 to 180 mm range
For imaging at ~F5 or for visual at ~F8?

Rolando

-----Original Message-----
From: Howard Ritter via groups.io <howard.ritter@...>
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Sent: Mon, Nov 22, 2021 1:18 pm
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] On AP Telescopes

Thanks, Mike. I love “origin stories“ like this. I only wish AP still made something in the 175 to 180 mm range. Interesting that Roland’s choice for his Hawaii dark sky site is apparently a 175 Starfire.

On Nov 22, 2021, at 12:38, M Hambrick <mhambrick563@...> wrote:

Hi Howard

Yes, I really count myself lucky to have a 180EDT. It is a great scope.

Before I bought the 180EDT I had been debating between a Celestron C14 and a 7-inch F9 Starfire. About the same time that I decided to go with a refractor, A-P introduced the 155EDF with the 4-inch focuser. I really liked the 155EDF and the beautiful astro-photos taken through it that Tony and Daphne Hallas were publishing in the magazines. So, then I had a to decide between the 7-inch F9 Starfire, and the 155EDF. I decided to go with the 7-inch F9 because it had a larger aperture and was considerably cheaper than the 155EDF. I was ready to place an order for the 7-inch Starfire when I learned that A-P had sold out of the 7-inch version. I thought I was out of luck on a large refractor until I talked to Marj on the phone and she told me that they were phasing out the Starfires and going to start producing the new EDT design which would be available in a 180 mm aperture. Shortly after that phone call I placed my order. 

There was no notification list in those days, and I must have been one of the first people to order a 180EDT. The serial number on my lens cell is 18010.

Mike

--
Roland Christen
Astro-Physics


Howard Ritter
 

It was mostly an idle thought, but I wish I’d been paying more attention when you were producing the 175 f/8 StarFire EDF back in 2012.

—howard

On Nov 22, 2021, at 2:29 PM, Roland Christen via groups.io <chris1011@...> wrote:


I only wish AP still made something in the 175 to 180 mm range
For imaging at ~F5 or for visual at ~F8?

Rolando

-----Original Message-----
From: Howard Ritter via groups.io <howard.ritter@...>
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Sent: Mon, Nov 22, 2021 1:18 pm
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] On AP Telescopes

Thanks, Mike. I love “origin stories“ like this. I only wish AP still made something in the 175 to 180 mm range. Interesting that Roland’s choice for his Hawaii dark sky site is apparently a 175 Starfire.

On Nov 22, 2021, at 12:38, M Hambrick <mhambrick563@...> wrote:

Hi Howard

Yes, I really count myself lucky to have a 180EDT. It is a great scope.

Before I bought the 180EDT I had been debating between a Celestron C14 and a 7-inch F9 Starfire. About the same time that I decided to go with a refractor, A-P introduced the 155EDF with the 4-inch focuser. I really liked the 155EDF and the beautiful astro-photos taken through it that Tony and Daphne Hallas were publishing in the magazines. So, then I had a to decide between the 7-inch F9 Starfire, and the 155EDF. I decided to go with the 7-inch F9 because it had a larger aperture and was considerably cheaper than the 155EDF. I was ready to place an order for the 7-inch Starfire when I learned that A-P had sold out of the 7-inch version. I thought I was out of luck on a large refractor until I talked to Marj on the phone and she told me that they were phasing out the Starfires and going to start producing the new EDT design which would be available in a 180 mm aperture. Shortly after that phone call I placed my order. 

There was no notification list in those days, and I must have been one of the first people to order a 180EDT. The serial number on my lens cell is 18010.

Mike

--
Roland Christen
Astro-Physics


M Hambrick
 

I seem to recall seeing a post on the forum where Roland said that it was really hard to get suitable glass for the larger lens sizes. Is that still the case Roland ? I remember that Astro-Physics sold a limited number of 205 mm refractors. What is the biggest refractor lens you ever made ?

MIke


Roland Christen
 

Biggest standard refractor was a 10" Triplet.
Biggest refracting system we made was the 12" Honders which used 2 refracting lenses of 12" aperture along with a folding mirror and a 3rd element of 4" aperture near the focus. This telescope is a variation of the Schupmann Brachymedial that dates back to the 1890's.

Rolando

-----Original Message-----
From: M Hambrick <mhambrick563@...>
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Sent: Mon, Nov 22, 2021 5:15 pm
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] On AP Telescopes

I seem to recall seeing a post on the forum where Roland said that it was really hard to get suitable glass for the larger lens sizes. Is that still the case Roland ? I remember that Astro-Physics sold a limited number of 205 mm refractors. What is the biggest refractor lens you ever made ?

MIke

--
Roland Christen
Astro-Physics