Topics

Notified!😍 #mach2gto #Mach2GTO

Haydon Burns

How many have been shipped from the first batch?  Has all of the first batch been shipped or are the mounts being shipped periodically as they are complete and tested?

Thanks, Haydon

Terri Zittritsch

I received a shipping notification today... I'm very excited!     I can't wait to try it out!

Terri

Dean Jacobsen

Terri, glad to hear that your Mach2 is on its way to its new home.

Wayne Hixson

Excellent! Looking forward to your reports. Mine was delivered today, a day earlier than anticipated. Thanks UPS! Unboxing and initial playtime tomorrow.

Wayne

On Mar 3, 2020, at 4:04 PM, Dean Jacobsen <deanjacobsen@...> wrote:

Terri, glad to hear that your Mach2 is on its way to its new home.

Terri Zittritsch

Thanks guys..     The whole software system seems a bit more complicated than I've been dealing with.   I've been using ASCOM, EQMOD driver and SGP.

From what I've gathered so far (I should have started reading earlier) I have an ascom driver for the mount that I can probably use just like I use the EQMOD ASCOM driver for my atlas mount.. and can use that with SGP or anything else.  From the on-line pictures it looks similar.   And from there, can plug in other software (like SGP or APCC).

Where is the best place to start to understand the software?  Or is it just to dive in and start playing with it once I have the mount?   I just started reading the manual now.

I have not figured out if there is a simulator like on EQMOD and am hesitant to do anything outside of the set-up instructions in the APCC manual, for software setup, for fear of messing something up.

Terri

Clement Elechi

Hello Terri,

I think the software system is a lot less complicated than you perceive.  For my Mach 1 I have just the A-P ASCOM driver.  Anything that needs to talk to the mount talks to the ASCOM driver.  I use APT instead of SGP, PHD2 and CdC.  All perform without a hitch. If there is ever a problem, I have found that it is invariably operator error.

You could add APCC and other things according to your needs and wishes.

Clem

============================

My flickr gallery:

On Wednesday, March 4, 2020, 7:39:43 AM EST, Terri Zittritsch <theresamarie11@...> wrote:

Thanks guys..     The whole software system seems a bit more complicated than I've been dealing with.   I've been using ASCOM, EQMOD driver and SGP.

From what I've gathered so far (I should have started reading earlier) I have an ascom driver for the mount that I can probably use just like I use the EQMOD ASCOM driver for my atlas mount.. and can use that with SGP or anything else.  From the on-line pictures it looks similar.   And from there, can plug in other software (like SGP or APCC).

Where is the best place to start to understand the software?  Or is it just to dive in and start playing with it once I have the mount?   I just started reading the manual now.

I have not figured out if there is a simulator like on EQMOD and am hesitant to do anything outside of the set-up instructions in the APCC manual, for software setup, for fear of messing something up.

Terri

Wayne Hixson

I agree, I’d get familiar and comfortable with operating with the driver and your imaging, guiding and planetarium software before diving into APCC.  All the software will coexist and interact nicely through the driver.

I’m excited to hear how your experience goes. When does your Mach2 arrive?

Wayne

On Mar 6, 2020, at 11:18 AM, Clement Elechi <celechi@...> wrote:

Hello Terri,

I think the software system is a lot less complicated than you perceive.  For my Mach 1 I have just the A-P ASCOM driver.  Anything that needs to talk to the mount talks to the ASCOM driver.  I use APT instead of SGP, PHD2 and CdC.  All perform without a hitch. If there is ever a problem, I have found that it is invariably operator error.

You could add APCC and other things according to your needs and wishes.

Clem

============================

My flickr gallery:

On Wednesday, March 4, 2020, 7:39:43 AM EST, Terri Zittritsch <theresamarie11@...> wrote:

Thanks guys..     The whole software system seems a bit more complicated than I've been dealing with.   I've been using ASCOM, EQMOD driver and SGP.

From what I've gathered so far (I should have started reading earlier) I have an ascom driver for the mount that I can probably use just like I use the EQMOD ASCOM driver for my atlas mount.. and can use that with SGP or anything else.  From the on-line pictures it looks similar.   And from there, can plug in other software (like SGP or APCC).

Where is the best place to start to understand the software?  Or is it just to dive in and start playing with it once I have the mount?   I just started reading the manual now.

I have not figured out if there is a simulator like on EQMOD and am hesitant to do anything outside of the set-up instructions in the APCC manual, for software setup, for fear of messing something up.

Terri

Terri Zittritsch

Thanks guys, I have received the mount and it’s all together and up and running.    I’ve installed the v2 ascom driver and gotten that working with cartes du ciel.   This was all pretty fast and no troubles.   I use EQMOD so it’s all pretty similar.  I’ve yet to try SGP but expect that will work fine.

I followed the setup instructions for the v2 driver which made that all pretty simple.

Where things get a bit confusing is with the APCC setup.   I’ve read Ray’s instructions for APCC after having already installed And setup the V2 driver and think they imply a different setup of the v2 driver with virtual ports instead of the com port I used with the built in FTDI chip In the GTOCP5.   I’m sure it’s not  a huge deal to resolve, it’s just confusing.   Right now I’m thinking my first outside work will be with the V2 driver and SGPro and just seeing how well it tracks and runs.   Given I use an ASI 1600 cmos camera my exposures are typically 5 minutes or less.

Besides the pointing model aspect of APCC/APPM I’m not very clear on what this software does for the user, but I’ve only read the setup so far so need to dive into it more.

In general the mount is very solid and has zero play that I can feel, so it exudes quality craftsmanship.
The counterweight bar is heavy and balances my stowaway, without a weight, when it has no accessories or imaging setup.    I’m wondering if I need a 5 lb weight to tune the balance for the light scopes.   So far I have only purchased heavier weights.

So far, very happy with what I have, the real smiles will come when I can experience very good tracking.  I just need some cooperative weather now.

Terri

Wayne Hixson

Congratulations Terri, hope you get a chance to try it soon under dark skies, which I’m also impatiently awaiting. I’d planned to do more setup outside today until the dry forecast mysteriously changed to Chance of Showers. (Thinking Seattle should be renamed “Chance of Showers”. Somewhat surprisingly we have a pretty large and active astronomy community here and a great local retailer in Cloud Break Optics).

It’s straightforward to modify the driver settings when you go to APCC. You’ll have APCC create a couple virtual ports (George recommended higher COM ports like COM21 and COM22,  to avoid potential conflicts). Then click the Use APCC Virtual Port box in the driver and select COM21 for example. You’ll then launch APCC to connect to the mount

I have a partially occluded setup under the eaves of my house and complex horizon of trees and houses, so I like APCC for its Horizon and Meridian mapping and meridian flip flexibility. I’ve also used it with its Horizon module to track asteroids and comets.

Congrats again, looking forward to more reports.

Wayne

On Mar 7, 2020, at 7:18 AM, Terri Zittritsch <theresamarie11@...> wrote:

[...]

Ray Gralak

Hi Terri,

Besides the pointing model aspect of APCC/APPM I’m not very clear on what this software does for the user, but
I’ve only read the setup so far so need to dive into it more.
APCC provides numerous features. Here is a link to a list of some of them:

https://www.siriusimaging.com/Help/APCC/features.htm

-Ray Gralak

[...]

Hi Ray, I did find this.. and have read some of the setup information.  It wasn't a poke, it was just me articulating (maybe poorly) that I need to educate myself and figure out what I can make use of for a portable setup.   But first I need to get familiar with the rest of the mount.. and the V2 driver.

One question I did have.  Is on the installation of APCC after I've already installed the V2 driver.    It seems the V2 driver com port get updated to a virtual port, is this because the APCC program now gets the 'real port', e.g. from an hardware RS232 connection, and then the the virtual ports are used to communicate between the V2, APCC, and APCC to other programs and all communications back to the computer flow through APCC?     Just trying to understand what I'm doing when I install the APCC.    And then once APCC is installed, does the V2 driver port need to be changed if I start something like Cartes du Ciel and connect the telescope which will not use APCC?       If there is a better way to ask such things, please point me.   Probably should create a new thread at a minimum..

Terri

Terri

Ray Gralak

Terri,

One question I did have. Is on the installation of APCC after I've already installed the V2 driver. It seems the V2
driver com port get updated to a virtual port, is this because the APCC program now gets the 'real port', e.g. from an
hardware RS232 connection, and then the the virtual ports are used to communicate between the V2, APCC, and
APCC to other programs and all communications back to the computer flow through APCC?
Yes, that is correct. APCC directly connects to the mount via serial port, USB, or a network. All "traffic" from the driver is routed back and forth through APCC's virtual ports. APCC by default will automatically reconfigure the AP V2 driver to use one of APCC's ports so you won't need to reconfigure the driver.

ASCOM clients will not be aware (nor do they need to be aware) of APCC so you can/should always use APCC. If you are using APCC Pro this allows pointing correction, and more importantly, tracking rate correction. ASCOM client applications like Cartes du Ciel won't even know APCC is being used.

-Ray Gralak

[...]

Hi Ray, thank you for your very fast responses.    So if I might ask another follow-on:   If I install APCC, and call the telescope from either CDC or SGPro, does it call APCC then versus the V2 driver directly?    Your comment about RA rate correction intrigues me.  I didn't realize I needed APCC to be running to get good results.   I've kept my logs from last night, but it wasn't entirely what I expected.   I polar aligned as close as I ever do with polemaster, and put the PHD2 settings so I wouldn't chase-the-seeing as they say.  I did turn off guiding at one point and ran the phd tool to evaluate drift.  There was more than I expected on RA.   Is this because I'm not running APCC?     Here is where my lack of experience with AP products fails me.
Maybe I need to bite the bullet and install APCC.

Hi Ray, thank you for your very fast responses. So if I might ask another follow-on: If I install APCC, and call
the telescope from either CDC or SGPro, does it call APCC then versus the V2 driver directly?
No, ASCOM clients always call the AP V2 driver, which can start APCC if it is not already started, then the driver connects to APCC.

Your comment about RA rate correction intrigues me. I didn't realize I needed APCC to be running to get good results.
Just running APCC Pro initially won't make a difference in pointing and tracking rate performance. You will need to run APPM to gather data points throughout the sky via plate solving. Once the data points have been accumulated APCC can create a pointing and tracking rate model. Then you will see improvements in tracking and pointing. How much improvement depends on the repeatability and how well the pointing model terms model the telescope and camera setup that you are using.

-Ray Gralak

Hi Ray, thank you for your very fast responses. So if I might ask another follow-on: If I install APCC, and call
the telescope from either CDC or SGPro, does it call APCC then versus the V2 driver directly? Your comment
about RA rate correction intrigues me. I didn't realize I needed APCC to be running to get good results. I've kept
my logs from last night, but it wasn't entirely what I expected. I polar aligned as close as I ever do with polemaster,
and put the PHD2 settings so I wouldn't chase-the-seeing as they say. I did turn off guiding at one point and ran
the phd tool to evaluate drift. There was more than I expected on RA. Is this because I'm not running APCC?
Here is where my lack of experience with AP products fails me.
Maybe I need to bite the bullet and install APCC.

Terri Zittritsch

Ok, thanks Ray.    I understand the APPM benefit but didn't think it was for those of us using the mount in a portable fashion.    So I have some questions into George on results.

Terri

Ray Gralak

Ok, thanks Ray. I understand the APPM benefit but didn't think it was for those of us using the mount in a
portable fashion. So I have some questions into George on results.
You can always start APPM after twilight before it gets dark enough to image.

Depending on your camera download time and plate solve time you should be able to get 2-3 points per minute. Thus, 50 points easily in 30 minutes (25 points per side).

-Ray Gralak

Ok, thanks Ray. I understand the APPM benefit but didn't think it was for those of us using the mount in a
portable fashion. So I have some questions into George on results.

Terri

Joseph Beyer

Terri,

I set up each time I image with my Mach1 and recently started using APCC-Pro/APPM.  I use Backyard Nikon, CdC and PHD2 to control the mount and camera and behind these APCC is completely transparent.  As Bill, Roland, Ray and others have mentioned APPM is straight forward to setup and really takes no time from your imaging session.  The improvement in pointing and tracking is amazing.  Given the short exposures I use with my camera, PHD2 really does little anymore except show the seeing conditions.

Joe

On Sun, Mar 8, 2020 at 10:14 AM Ray Gralak <groups3@...> wrote:
> Ok, thanks Ray.    I understand the APPM benefit but didn't think it was for those of us using the mount in a
> portable fashion.    So I have some questions into George on results.

You can always start APPM after twilight before it gets dark enough to image.

Depending on your camera download time and plate solve time you should be able to get 2-3 points per minute. Thus, 50 points easily in 30 minutes (25 points per side).

-Ray Gralak

Terri Zittritsch

Thanks Joe, I'll look at it.  I guess I'm not clear on how long it takes to create a model.  I thought this a long process.  If it's just a few points, then that sounds just like I do already with blind solve or two, and then plate solving targets.   Do you use a solver for your model?

Terri

Terri Zittritsch

On Sun, Mar 8, 2020 at 01:14 PM, Ray Gralak wrote:
You can always start APPM after twilight before it gets dark enough to image.

Depending on your camera download time and plate solve time you should be able to get 2-3 points per minute. Thus, 50 points easily in 30 minutes (25 points per side).

Thanks Ray,    Sounds like a good thing to play with on a full moon night before a little narrow band imaging.    Right now it looks like it might be clear again.
Two days in a row after getting a new toy is unheard of.

Terri

Wayne Hixson

Thanks very much - the clearing is here in the northwest too!

Wayne Hixson, Stargazer