NINA not Parking my 1100


Alex
 

I’ve been using SGP to automate my rig for a while now, but I thought I’d give NINA a try.  Things mostly seemed to work, but one issue is that the scope wasn’t parked in its usual position at the end of the sequence. Instead of returning the scope to park position 1, which I normally use, the scoped was parked in the position it when it was the end of the sequence.  When using SGP, it always retuned to the scope to park position 1.
 
I know NINA parked the scope from the NINA log:
 
2022-01-09T05:48:34.9198|INFO|SequenceItem.cs|Run|195|Starting Category: Telescope, Item: ParkScope
2022-01-09T05:48:34.9218|INFO|SequenceItem.cs|Run|195|Starting Category: Rotator, Item: MoveRotatorMechanical, Mechanical Position: 90
2022-01-09T05:48:34.9238|INFO|TelescopeVM.cs|ParkTelescope|130|Telescope has been commanded to park
2022-01-09T05:48:35.4005|INFO|StarDetection.cs|Detect|221|Average HFR: 3.1397415442436, HFR σ: 1.15009080928962, Detected Stars 167
2022-01-09T05:48:35.5920|INFO|BaseImageData.cs|FinalizeSave|144|Saving image at C:\Users\Alex Ranous\Documents\Imaging\Markarian's Chain\2022-01-08\LIGHT\Markarian's Chain_2022-01-09_05-45-31_Blue_LIGHT_-5.00c_gain0_180.00s_0012.xisf
2022-01-09T05:48:38.2074|INFO|SequenceItem.cs|Run|213|Finishing Category: Telescope, Item: ParkScope
And this is the bit from the APCC log mentioning parking:
 
0391883 2022-01-09 05:48:35.731:       Info, VPortCheckVPort1(COM4), (RX: :Rc#), TX: APCC,2,4070237,0#
0391884 2022-01-09 05:48:35.732:       Info,    VPort1(COM4), RX: :APCC,4070238,*PARK,0#
0391885 2022-01-09 05:48:35.736:       Info, ProcessVPortCommand, RX from VPort 1: :APCC,4070238,*PARK,0#
0391886 2022-01-09 05:48:35.736:       Info, ProcessVPortCommand, APCC Seq= 4070238, CMD=*PARK,0#
I was running with the advanced sequencer with the beta 26 version of NINA.  I’m running the 1.9.3.1 version of APCC. My understanding of ASCOM is that it doesn't have a notion of park positions, and given a command to park, the AP ASCOM driver should have parked to the last park position.  Anyone have any suggestions as to what I’m doing wrong?
 
Alex
 


Dale Ghent
 


Have you checked to make sure that APCC is indeed set to park at your desired park position instead of "Current Position", which is in fact a valid park location?

Yes, there are no notions of park positions when it comes to ASCOM. NINA and other apps just call the driver's Park() method, and it's up to the driver and the mount to interpret what that means and move the mount there. I do plan on adding advanced sequencer instructions to my NINA plugin that implement the A-P driver's Park 1-5 positions. For now, it's limited to parking the mount and whatever is configured in APCC/the ASCOM driver.


On Jan 10, 2022, at 01:13, Alex <groups@...> wrote:

I’ve been using SGP to automate my rig for a while now, but I thought I’d give NINA a try.  Things mostly seemed to work, but one issue is that the scope wasn’t parked in its usual position at the end of the sequence. Instead of returning the scope to park position 1, which I normally use, the scoped was parked in the position it when it was the end of the sequence.  When using SGP, it always retuned to the scope to park position 1.
 
I know NINA parked the scope from the NINA log:
 
2022-01-09T05:48:34.9198|INFO|SequenceItem.cs|Run|195|Starting Category: Telescope, Item: ParkScope
2022-01-09T05:48:34.9218|INFO|SequenceItem.cs|Run|195|Starting Category: Rotator, Item: MoveRotatorMechanical, Mechanical Position: 90
2022-01-09T05:48:34.9238|INFO|TelescopeVM.cs|ParkTelescope|130|Telescope has been commanded to park
2022-01-09T05:48:35.4005|INFO|StarDetection.cs|Detect|221|Average HFR: 3.1397415442436, HFR σ: 1.15009080928962, Detected Stars 167
2022-01-09T05:48:35.5920|INFO|BaseImageData.cs|FinalizeSave|144|Saving image at C:\Users\Alex Ranous\Documents\Imaging\Markarian's Chain\2022-01-08\LIGHT\Markarian's Chain_2022-01-09_05-45-31_Blue_LIGHT_-5.00c_gain0_180.00s_0012.xisf
2022-01-09T05:48:38.2074|INFO|SequenceItem.cs|Run|213|Finishing Category: Telescope, Item: ParkScope
And this is the bit from the APCC log mentioning parking:
 
0391883 2022-01-09 05:48:35.731:       Info, VPortCheckVPort1(COM4), (RX: :Rc#), TX: APCC,2,4070237,0#
0391884 2022-01-09 05:48:35.732:       Info,    VPort1(COM4), RX: :APCC,4070238,*PARK,0#
0391885 2022-01-09 05:48:35.736:       Info, ProcessVPortCommand, RX from VPort 1: :APCC,4070238,*PARK,0#
0391886 2022-01-09 05:48:35.736:       Info, ProcessVPortCommand, APCC Seq= 4070238, CMD=*PARK,0#
I was running with the advanced sequencer with the beta 26 version of NINA.  I’m running the 1.9.3.1 version of APCC. My understanding of ASCOM is that it doesn't have a notion of park positions, and given a command to park, the AP ASCOM driver should have parked to the last park position.  Anyone have any suggestions as to what I’m doing wrong?
 
Alex
 


Alex
 

On Sun, Jan 9, 2022 at 10:52 PM, Dale Ghent wrote:
 
Have you checked to make sure that APCC is indeed set to park at your desired park position instead of "Current Position", which is in fact a valid park location?

Yes APCC was configured to park to Park 1.  When I checked the mount in the morning and saw it not in Park 1, I checked APCC, which indicated in the Telescope Postion section that it was parked.  I simply hit the Unpark from Last Parked, and then hit the park button, where it slewed to Park 1.  I have no idea why the mount parked at the current position as it wasn't selected in APCC.


KHursh
 

When I have the V2 ASCOM driver running along with APCC, my MACH2 parks to what is specified in the ASCOM driver, so you may want to check there too.


Dale Ghent
 

Are you running SGPro and NINA under different permissions realms? What I mean by this is, are you perhaps running one as Administrator and the other not?

On Jan 10, 2022, at 02:48, Alex <groups@...> wrote:

On Sun, Jan 9, 2022 at 10:52 PM, Dale Ghent wrote:

Have you checked to make sure that APCC is indeed set to park at your desired park position instead of "Current Position", which is in fact a valid park location?
Yes APCC was configured to park to Park 1. When I checked the mount in the morning and saw it not in Park 1, I checked APCC, which indicated in the Telescope Postion section that it was parked. I simply hit the Unpark from Last Parked, and then hit the park button, where it slewed to Park 1. I have no idea why the mount parked at the current position as it wasn't selected in APCC.


ap@CaptivePhotons.com
 

There are two park positions defined when using APCC.  One is APCC and is the position it goes to when you hit Park on the same pane (brown arrow below).  But the one NINA uses is the one set on the AP Ascom V2 driver setup.   See the blue arrow below. 

I keep mine set differently, as below -- that way NINA parks to Park 2, which is safer for sitting in dew or if it rained (which is also where NINA will park on a safety initiated park since it has just the one position).  But when I'm done, I park with APCC to Park 3 which is where I load/unload. 

Be sure you check the ASCOM one with respect to NINA's parking.

Linwood


Ray Gralak
 

Hi Alex,

For ASCOM client applications (NINA, SGPro, etc.), the ASCOM driver's Park Setting setting is used, not APCC's. So, as others have already mentioned, you should set the park position in the ASCOM driver.

-Ray


Alex
 

Thanks folks, that was the issue.  The ASCOM driver was set to park at the current position.  That said, why would SGP go to park position one?  I've never messed with the setting in the driver.

The only thing I can think of is that I usually start APCC first and connect it to the mount as well as connect the driver.  It's possible I started and connected NINA first.  Would that have made a difference?  In any event I've configure the driver correctly.  It's supposed to be clear tonight, so I'll give it a test.

I gotta say I've been enjoying playing with NINA.  Its new advanced sequencer appeals to my software engineer brain.  The plugin model is great.  It might get me to pick up C# to try some stuff.  I'm a Java programmer in my day job, so it shouldn't be a big transition.

Alex


Dale Ghent
 

On Jan 10, 2022, at 17:12, Alex <groups@...> wrote:

Thanks folks, that was the issue. The ASCOM driver was set to park at the current position. That said, why would SGP go to park position one? I've never messed with the setting in the driver.
The only thing I can think of is that I usually start APCC first and connect it to the mount as well as connect the driver. It's possible I started and connected NINA first. Would that have made a difference? In any event I've configure the driver correctly. It's supposed to be clear tonight, so I'll give it a test.
This is likely the case. On APCC's window, you'll find the "AP V2 Driver" section. There's a checkbox there labeled Auto-Config. If APCC will configure the ASCOM driver with its settings IF APCC is the one that starts the ASCOM driver. It seems that was the case you described when using SGPro. When NINA (or any other app) starts the ASCOM driver, the driver loads its own settings and doesn't inherit anything from APCC.

You can still do it your previous way - APCC first, which then starts the driver, then you connect to it in NINA. You can do it either manually as you were or through the Advanced Sequencer using the Start APCC instruction in my Astro-Physics Tools plugin. You'd then use the Connector plugin's Connect to.. instruction to connect NINA to the then-launched ASCOM driver. You will want to be sure that the Auto-Connect and Auto-Config checkboxes are selected in the aforementioned AP V2 Driver area in APCC. There are some timeouts you can tweak in Astro-Physics Tools' options area if the ASCOM driver need some more time after appearing in the process table before anything can connect to it.

I gotta say I've been enjoying playing with NINA. Its new advanced sequencer appeals to my software engineer brain. The plugin model is great. It might get me to pick up C# to try some stuff. I'm a Java programmer in my day job, so it shouldn't be a big transition.
Cool! A few contributors cut their C# teeth with NINA after a having a Java-only background, so you'd be in good company. I'm a systems guy and my daily driver languages are C, python; even perl *spit*. All from the snug confines of vi. If I can hook into Visual Studio and get going with C#, anyone can ;)

/dale


Alex
 

Ok, that was it.  After configuring the driver, NINA parked the scope in position one as expected.

Now I need to find that C# book I received after the startup I worked at was acquired by Microsoft.  We were thrown onto a disastrous mobile phone death march, and I quit before I really got any competency at C#.  Good thing too, as they pulled the plug on the phone less than 2 months after launch.

Alex


Ron Kramer
 

I THINK  "park" means just that.  As in where you are.  Myself I run a script at the end of a sequence that parks, closes my dome and custom parks my Mach1. 


On Mon, Jan 10, 2022 at 1:13 AM Alex <groups@...> wrote:
I’ve been using SGP to automate my rig for a while now, but I thought I’d give NINA a try.  Things mostly seemed to work, but one issue is that the scope wasn’t parked in its usual position at the end of the sequence. Instead of returning the scope to park position 1, which I normally use, the scoped was parked in the position it when it was the end of the sequence.  When using SGP, it always retuned to the scope to park position 1.
 
I know NINA parked the scope from the NINA log:
 
2022-01-09T05:48:34.9198|INFO|SequenceItem.cs|Run|195|Starting Category: Telescope, Item: ParkScope
2022-01-09T05:48:34.9218|INFO|SequenceItem.cs|Run|195|Starting Category: Rotator, Item: MoveRotatorMechanical, Mechanical Position: 90
2022-01-09T05:48:34.9238|INFO|TelescopeVM.cs|ParkTelescope|130|Telescope has been commanded to park
2022-01-09T05:48:35.4005|INFO|StarDetection.cs|Detect|221|Average HFR: 3.1397415442436, HFR σ: 1.15009080928962, Detected Stars 167
2022-01-09T05:48:35.5920|INFO|BaseImageData.cs|FinalizeSave|144|Saving image at C:\Users\Alex Ranous\Documents\Imaging\Markarian's Chain\2022-01-08\LIGHT\Markarian's Chain_2022-01-09_05-45-31_Blue_LIGHT_-5.00c_gain0_180.00s_0012.xisf
2022-01-09T05:48:38.2074|INFO|SequenceItem.cs|Run|213|Finishing Category: Telescope, Item: ParkScope
And this is the bit from the APCC log mentioning parking:
 
0391883 2022-01-09 05:48:35.731:       Info, VPortCheckVPort1(COM4), (RX: :Rc#), TX: APCC,2,4070237,0#
0391884 2022-01-09 05:48:35.732:       Info,    VPort1(COM4), RX: :APCC,4070238,*PARK,0#
0391885 2022-01-09 05:48:35.736:       Info, ProcessVPortCommand, RX from VPort 1: :APCC,4070238,*PARK,0#
0391886 2022-01-09 05:48:35.736:       Info, ProcessVPortCommand, APCC Seq= 4070238, CMD=*PARK,0#
I was running with the advanced sequencer with the beta 26 version of NINA.  I’m running the 1.9.3.1 version of APCC. My understanding of ASCOM is that it doesn't have a notion of park positions, and given a command to park, the AP ASCOM driver should have parked to the last park position.  Anyone have any suggestions as to what I’m doing wrong?
 
Alex