NGC 4030, a seldom imaged galaxy

Geoff Smith

I was able to find only one amateur image of this galaxy, which is quite strange considering its size (4 arcminutes) and brightness (mag 10.6). I would have expected that its location in Virgo would have made it a target for both northern and southern imagers. So one image on IIS, none on astrobin, no reference in any of the popular "what can I image" catalogues.

The weird thing is that I imaged it in 2017 and 2018 then forgot about it and never got around to processing it. There must be some sort of conspiracy to keep it hidden.

The image is here https://www.astrobin.com/ajvnzj/

Usual equipment: AP900, Plane Wave 12.5", FLI 16803 Proline. Processed in PixInsight.

NGC 4030 is a grand design spiral galaxy in Virgo, lying about 64 million light years.
In 2007, a supernova explosion was discovered in the galaxy from images taken on February 19 from the 1 m Swope telescope at Las Campanas Observatory in Chile The progenitor was a red giant star with 8.5–16.5 times the mass of the Sun.
See an image of the supernova here https://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/...light=ngc+4030

This was the only amateur image of NGC 4030 that I could find.

fernandorivera3

Nice image 👍🔭

Fernando

Karen Christen

That’s a super-pretty galaxy, Geoff!  Lots of other interesting tidbits in there, as well.  Nice work!

Karen

AP

--
Karen Christen