New Mount

Frost David

Roland,

From time to time we’ve had messages pop up here with people wanting a smaller portable mount from AP.  Something that would carry maybe 30-35 lbs and be super portable and lightweight.   I’m wondering if you’ve ever considered, or if its even feasible to make a small direct drive mount this size, or would it be WAY too expensive for the size and capacity?  Apparently ASA got out of the business of these small mounts a while back, and Planewave makes their L mounts, but they’re huge in size and weight.  There isn’t anything like this out there that I’m aware of.  People are readily handing over $3500-5500 for small harmonic mounts so I think the market might support it…just wondering if these could be built for a reasonable amount with higher end incremental encoders to keep the cost down and still track really well for smaller loads and wider FOV’s?

David

Bill Long

There was really good discussion about an AP400 refresh with an RA encoder. I'd be all over that.

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> on behalf of Frost David <frosty5@...>
Sent: Friday, January 7, 2022 8:39 PM
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io>
Subject: [ap-gto] New Mount

Roland,

From time to time we’ve had messages pop up here with people wanting a smaller portable mount from AP.  Something that would carry maybe 30-35 lbs and be super portable and lightweight.   I’m wondering if you’ve ever considered, or if its even feasible to make a small direct drive mount this size, or would it be WAY too expensive for the size and capacity?  Apparently ASA got out of the business of these small mounts a while back, and Planewave makes their L mounts, but they’re huge in size and weight.  There isn’t anything like this out there that I’m aware of.  People are readily handing over $3500-5500 for small harmonic mounts so I think the market might support it…just wondering if these could be built for a reasonable amount with higher end incremental encoders to keep the cost down and still track really well for smaller loads and wider FOV’s?

David

Roland Christen

Direct drive mounts require hundreds of watts to power the magnets. For a portable mount this means having to power the mount from a very large battery at high voltage. Reason is that in a direct drive mount there is no gearing to multiply the torque. It's ok for a stationary mount since you can plug it into a wall socket and draw as many amps as you need to produce the holding torque. For portable use, this presents a problem.

Right now, super portable and light weight would be harmonic drive mounts.

Roland