New AP1100, indoor practice, lots of little questions

ap@CaptivePhotons.com

Still haven't gotten it outside. Tonight looks iffy. Testing indoors, some questions if someone has patience with a newbie:

- I remain baffled by the whole concept of home, find home, "correctly calibrated with the sky" (for 3D view).  If I unpark from a known position, I apparently am not calibrated?  Or does it need at least one plate solve and sync?  And most advice about AE seems to be "leave it turned on, done".  But what's the whole "FIND HOME" for, which seems to require a Configure home, which seems to require an APPM run.  So do I need an APPM model for AE's?  Or maybe more basically what's Find Home for, and do I need it?  (On advice of another I was just ignoring APPM for now).  I should note that the 3D view frequently comes up wildly wrong, even though everything else looks perfect, so I think I am doing something wrong in this regard.  (I just read the APCC manual a 2nd time, and this aspect and AE differences is still opaque to me).

- I looked with pempro and there is a PE curve loaded.  This is an AE mount. I have PEM off (based on the label).  Is that right, that the curve is there only if you turn off the AE's?

- I loaded a custom horizon (had one in TSX) and that worked fine, but it doesn't seem associated with the site.  Am I understanding correctly, you need to manage horizons separately from sites?

- The ASCOM V2 "configure now" button seems to take all your changes including current site into the (apparently otherwise independent) driver info like site.  It is not taking elevation, it leaves it unchanged.  Small bug?   Doesn't matter for me, I live in Flatland, everything's basically zero.  Unless I'm doing something more fundamental wrong?  My thinking is that basically you set everything in APCC and never in the ASCOM driver itself, it just flows from APCC, is that right in general?

On the good side, I set up for a realistic meridian flip in NINA using a daytime target, and it counted down, flipped perfectly on the first try. I'm loving how things just plain work, and yes, I'm probably overthinking some of these things (again), but you know -- cloudy nights, got to do something.  I've re-dressed the cables on the tripod now until they are way too pretty.  :)

If the clouds continue I may have to start polishing the counterweights.  :(

Linwood

Bill Long

Homing returns the mount to a known position in the event it gets lost. IIRC it also clears any recent recal data. You can set the home position as you see fit (I use park 3) and if the mount ever gets lost for whatever reason you can press home and it will return to that position (park 3 in my case).

The encoders are best suited to having the model running, but technically speaking they will still function without it. This is where he users get confused. Models are NOT only useful for observatories. Smaller models can be used quite effectively for the backyard or mobile imager. For a single night of imaging I probably wouldn't build one, but for anything more than one night, I do. Getting APPM runs comfortably into your workflow will only help you get the most out of your investment.

If you're properly PA'd and recal with solving (APPM is configured to do this for you by default) the 3D model should work perfectly fine.

PEM is not used with encoders but if you had them off for whatever reason you would want a curve. That's nice they still build you a factory one! Those curves are quite good.

I ignore the v2 driver after having APCC configure it. APCC is the master, and as long as everything is properly setup in APCC it really shouldn't matter since the v2 driver sends everything through APCC.

If you get bored, you can install sky safari on your mobile and connect that to the mount over wifi and play with that.

[...]

How is that different from just parking to a known park position and unparking?

  • The encoders are best suited to having the model running, but technically speaking they will still function without it.

So my main reason for getting encoders was to better battle wind – during dry season here, it is often more windy, and I was losing lots of subs as the wind went from, say, 3mph to 8mph.  I know there’s no complete solution for wind, but I understood AE’s would help a lot.  Hope that’s true?

  • This is where he users get confused. Models are NOT only useful for observatories. Smaller models can be used quite effectively for the backyard or mobile imager. For a single night of imaging I probably wouldn't build one, but for anything more than one night, I do. Getting APPM runs comfortably into your workflow will only help you get the most out of your investment.

OK.  Agreed.  But does that affect how they work for wind?

  • If you're properly PA'd and recal with solving (APPM is configured to do this for you by default) the 3D model should work perfectly fine.

I don’t understand how the mount can slew to the right position in the sky (in daylight, so “right” here means “by eye right direction”) but the 3D model shows it grossly off, maybe even upside down type wrong.  The good news is the mount is right, I just don’t know where I’m going wrong to confuse the 3D model.

When I say “slew to the right position” I mean I use NINA, pick a star that’s high in daylight, and do a slew.  The mount looks like it is in the right position and pointing to where the star would be.  Clearly it has not been sync’d to a plate solve.

Linwood

Roland Christen

- I remain baffled by the whole concept of home, find home,
Homing is only needed if you do an improper sync/recal on a wrong object and thus get the mount lost. For instance, if you put Vega in the center of your field but sync on Deneb, then you have told the mount a lie and it will be lost for any subsequent slews. each slew depends on the last position. If you get the mount lost, simply send it Home. It will go to the park3 position and recalibrate itself.

There is one caveat. This only works if you operate the mount in clutchless mode (never loosening the clutches and moving it manually). If you do decide to use the clutches, you can re-establish Home by manually moving the mount to Park3 positions and then sending a command to establish this as Home. Home can be established using APCC. Or you can enter the "set home command" manually.

[...]

Unparking does not recalibrate the mount. Homing recalibrates the mount and clears your errant syncs/recals so that the mount is not permanently lost. Parking it won't do that. In fact, if your sync is off by 3 hours in RA, then all parks will also e off by 3 hours. Home, on the other hand will be dead nuts on.

@Roland said:

- I remain baffled by the whole concept of home, find home,

  • Homing is only needed if you do an improper sync/recal on a wrong object and thus get the mount lost. For instance, if you put Vega in the center of your field but sync on Deneb, then you have told the mount a lie and it will be lost for any subsequent slews. each slew depends on the last position. If you get the mount lost, simply send it Home. It will go to the park3 position and recalibrate itself.

OK.  I did that.  I can see that it sort of worked (3D is still wacky), but… is it just a more convenient form of Park/unPark?

I.e. if I park-3 it, make sure it is in that orientation, and unpack – is that any different?

Or is one gross using just human alignment (i.e. if I am placing it there) and the other uses the encoders?

This isn’t keeping me from making it all work, it seems to just do the right thing with what I have done so far.  I just am trying to understand all the tools and settings.

Oh… any reason why 3D is hosed?  I unparked from Park-2 a bit ago, I can visually see the scope is still pointing basically due east at the horizon (tracking for a few minutes).  The A/A on the position seems to agree.  Why is the 3D model so wrong?

Linwood

PS. About 60% overcast but I have it set up and leveled and waiting for dark to give it the first run.  Hoping I get a few stars.

Roland Christen

Homing is an effective tool for remote operation. Of course if you are there next to the mount you can fix any anomaly like a wrong sync by simply moving the mount manually to your favorite park position and then starting the next session from that park position. Homing is not needed if you do that. Remote operation is not hands-on and needs a way to home if the mount is lost.

You actually do not ever need to park the mount. You can turn the power off any place in the sky. When you resume the next session, the mount will know exactly where it is because the encoders are absolute (as long as the clutches are never moved because the encoders on the 1100 are not attached to the clutches). Simply unpark the mount from its present position. I do this all the time and most often never really park the mount.

[...]

Park does not clear the recal/sync. Home does. A lost mount would not return to park 3 correctly via a park command. Home would work even with the mount lost. Once it returned home and cleared the errant recal/sync the mount is no longer lost. Major difference.

If you were to recal or sync the mount on a known star the 3D model would display correctly.

[...]

W Hilmo

I believe that the “known parking positions” are all based on how the mount thinks it’s oriented with respect to the sky.  I believe that the “find home” will position the mount relative to a known axis position, independent of the sky.  With an encoder mount like your AE, “find home” will use the encoders and will be very, very accurate.  It will also recalibrate the mount so that it knows where it’s pointed with respect to the sky.

The implications here are that if you do an errant recalibrate or sync, the known park positions will no longer be correct.  The find home feature is intended to recover from that.

Regarding the clutches, if you have an AP1100AE or AP1600AE, then releasing the clutches and moving the mount will be something that the encoders don’t “see”, so you will need to re-establish the home position if you do that.  With a Mach2, I believe that the encoders are always correct, even if you release the clutches and move the mount, so there is never a need to re-establish the home position.

I hope that makes sense,

-Wade

[...]

Attachments:

ap@CaptivePhotons.com

Thanks.

@Roland said:

  • You actually do not ever need to park the mount. You can turn the power off any place in the sky. When you resume the next session, the mount will know exactly where it is because the encoders are absolute (as long as the clutches are never moved because the encoders on the 1100 are not attached to the clutches). Simply unpark the mount from its present position. I do this all the time and most often never really park the mount.

Thanks, I understood that.  I want to park because it’s an easier load/unload point to disassemble the OTA.  Also, Park 2 will be less likely to accumulate rain or dew if it parks due to some failure while imaging and I’m asleep.

  • If you were to recal or sync the mount on a known star the 3D model would display correctly.

See that’s where I am confused.  The mount and APCC seem to think it is right (or close).  I fired up Pempro (I’m still in daylight) and started the polar align, which goes to 5 west of meridian at dec 0.  The mount slewed to what looked like that position exactly.  The Telescope Position in APCC showed the red dot in the right place.  Wouldn’t a sync actually just refine this from a plate solve?  The 3D model is almost upside down, it’s not off a few degrees . Or is it just plain completely wrong until at least one sync is done?

Can I impose also: Sync vs Recal?

Linwood

W Hilmo

My suggestion is to regard “find home” as a recovery tool.

In about 10 years of using Astro-Physics mounts, I’ve never actually used the “find home” feature.  In my normal workflow, I have my automation set to park the mount in Park 4 at the end of a session.  If I am going to remove the OTA, I manually park it at Park 3.  And as Roland says, there’s no need to park the mount at all.  Just power it down when you are done.  I have my mounts configured to unpark from “last parked”, so when I want to star a session, I just turn them on and go.

I have had a handful of cases in that time where I managed to get a mount lost.  It was never in a normal workflow.  Most of the time, it was when I was experimenting with some unreleased mount control software.  Since I’m not a remote imager, I just recovered the mount manually, although “find home” would have worked as well.

I also never loosen the clutches, unless I’m recovering from a lost situation.

Regarding sync versus recalibrate, recalibrate is your friend.  Recalibrate works like a sync on most other mounts.  Essentially, it says “forget where you think you are pointed, you are pointed here.”  Sync is similar, but adds one more nuance.  Specifically, sync is just like a recal, but in addition to saying “you are here”, it also says “and the counterweights are down”.  It’s not immediately obvious why you would want to tell the mount whether the counterweights are up or down.  The reason is that, for any position in the sky, there are two ways that the mount can point there.  One way is what we usually see, with the telescope above the mount and counterweights below.  But you can also point at any position in the sky with the counterweights above the mount and the telescope below.  An Astro-Physics mount is very flexible, and will point with the counterweights up if you want it to.  The purpose of a sync, as opposed to a recal, is so to tell the mount that the counterweights are down.  The gotcha here is that if you are pointed near the meridian, the counterweight shaft is nearly parallel to the ground.  If you are not careful, and do a sync near the meridian, you might accidentally do the sync with the counterweights imperceptibly up.  When that happens, the mount will always slew with the counterweights up and scope down.

My suggestion is to avoid doing a sync, ever. The exception is if you are recovering from being lost.   I can’t remember the last time I did a sync.  The ASCOM driver has a feature to convert “sync” commands to “recal”.  The feature is enabled by default, and you should probably never disable it.

I hope that this makes sense,

-Wade

@Wade:

> I hope that this makes sense,

Very helpful.  Thank you.

Linwood

ap@CaptivePhotons.com

I’m still not sure I understand the fine points here, but thought I would share this.  It was unexpectedly clear all night (hazy but image-able), so the new mount got its first light (if that can apply to mounts).

It started at 0.30” which was the worst all night,  by the morning it was guiding at 0.22” (at 540mm image/guide focal length (OAG)).

So the mount understands even if I don’t.  😊

Happy round stars.  Happy sleep deprived user.

AP, you folks build well!

Linwood

_,_

Bill Long

Looks like its performing nicely and is only limited by the seeing conditions you have there. A 540mm FL scope is small and light so I doubt the 1100 even knew it was on the mount at all.

I’m still not sure I understand the fine points here, but thought I would share this.  It was unexpectedly clear all night (hazy but image-able), so the new mount got its first light (if that can apply to mounts).

It started at 0.30” which was the worst all night,  by the morning it was guiding at 0.22” (at 540mm image/guide focal length (OAG)).

So the mount understands even if I don’t.  😊

Happy round stars.  Happy sleep deprived user.

AP, you folks build well!

Linwood

_,_

Bill Long

Should add that it is time for a new CDK14. Gotta test the maximum out!

Looks like its performing nicely and is only limited by the seeing conditions you have there. A 540mm FL scope is small and light so I doubt the 1100 even knew it was on the mount at all.

I’m still not sure I understand the fine points here, but thought I would share this.  It was unexpectedly clear all night (hazy but image-able), so the new mount got its first light (if that can apply to mounts).

It started at 0.30” which was the worst all night,  by the morning it was guiding at 0.22” (at 540mm image/guide focal length (OAG)).

So the mount understands even if I don’t.  😊

Happy round stars.  Happy sleep deprived user.

AP, you folks build well!

Linwood

_,_

Horia

Hi Bill,

>> Home would work even with the mount lost.

does this also apply to a mount without absolute encoders?

Kind Regards,

Horia

Park does not clear the recal/sync. Home does. A lost mount would not return to park 3 correctly via a park command. Home would work even with the mount lost. Once it returned home and cleared the errant recal/sync the mount is no longer lost. Major difference.

If you were to recal or sync the mount on a known star the 3D model would display correctly.

KHursh

The 'HOME' button does not exist on a mount without AE. It is on the AE tab of APCC pro.

ap@CaptivePhotons.com

@Bill Long:  Should add that it is time for a new CDK14. Gotta test the maximum out!

Yeah, there is a performance limitation involved that is far more difficult to fix:  the human that has to carry it out each night and back in.  😊

My C11 is about all I want to deal with.  Tried the small refractor first, but it’s been sidelined without a mount for so long I hear it whining in the closet.

Let me know if you hear how I can get a capacity upgrade.  😊

Linwodo

Horia

According to HKursh:

According to astro-physics.com ( https://www.astro-physics.com/apcc - Features --> APCC Standard ):

>>  Added software home and limits function for all GTO mounts. Note: To avoid errors, this tab

>>  will not appear if the mount has absolute encoders, which has its own separate hardware/software solution.

I would like to understand: Do we have a „Home“ function also for non encoder mounts? How is „software home“ implemented?

Kind regards,

Horia