New 1100 GTO-CP4 Case Build

John A. Sillasen

Hi, some of you may remember back a few years that I ordered a case from MyCaseBuilder.com with a large, no, HUGE SKB case that held the 1100GTO set to 42° Latitude,  DOVELM162,  CP4, Keypad,  cables AND the Counterweight shaft!
Figure something close to 90 lbs!  Not a very user friendly solution.  To top it off, the custom foam was so tight of a fit a perfect fit in fact that it took two people to remove it using nylon rope to help the process.

Well, back in November,  a horrendous windstorm came through Connecticut with 50-60 mph windstorm that toppled yet another of a neighbors tree on to our property.  It literally destroyed my Telescope Shed!  Fortunately,  two of the 4 walls were reusable and it has now been rebuilt. 

The SKB case withstood a lot of damage but was no longer usable.  The 1100GTO was unharmed.  That says a lot for the case and the foam.  I even updated the CP4 to the latest and greatest just to make sure it wasn't damaged. 

So, with home owners insurance in hand,  I set out for a replacement, knowing I am not going to take the two halves apart but needing something strong and durable yet much lighter.  I'm 65 and hobble with a cane. Not gonna haul that monstrous case anymore!

My new solution  - I hope, is a Pelican Storm IM2975.  I purchased MyCaseBuilder.com's FAILSAFE insurance,  which let's me 'fix' and make corrections as needed to the cut out of their ProCell black foam. 

My first design was close. A bit tight and not enough room for the two small bolts that hold the CP4 on it.  I had to destroy the old foam before they'd do the RMA for the new design that includes replacement foam and free shipping back to me.  The FAILSAFE is only $19.95 BTW and no limits to the changes other than time and no foam until its done.

I'm still waiting.  Should be another week or so but wanted to get a head start to anyone else looking for a solid case to hold their one piece 1100.

The new design uses the DOVEDV10.  That is a compromise to box size for sure. It will hold the CP4 but not the counterweight shaft.  It may hold the keypad. Haven't been able to test that yet. I added the Keypad to the change in design. Or at least cables, nuts and bolts, etc.. There are definitely places to hold the bolts to attach it the Flat Surface Adapter for a ATS8X48 Portable Pier. 

If you want to check out the design or order one for yourself,  here are the details:
MyCaseBuilder.com. 
Project Name 1100GTOPls2975 as 1100GTOPls2975 (copy) design2 under File ID: 270822.

The Copy is where the modified design is. You can see the original under design1.

Attached is a photo of the 1100 just sitting on the Storm IM2975 just for size perspective.  I know its lighter to split the halves. I just don't want to be in the field running cables between the halves. It takes me 45 minutes to an hour to setup as it is!

Hope this helps.  The Pelican Storm IM2975 is a really nice case. Sliding handle and two wheels. It fits nicely in the walkway in my ProMaster Cargo van.

John A. Sillasen

M Hambrick

Hi John

That's a very nice case. The foam cutout job looks really good.

Out of curiosity, how do you manage the assembled 1100 mount ? I think that you are somewhere in the range of 45+ pounds for the assembled mount with a saddle plate attached.

Mike

Jeffc

Yes.. very nice case.   I should look into this for the Mach2.

Fwiw I leave my 1100 assembled like that in the “case”. (Lowe’s tote bin) … this 1100 has a losmandy tripod adapter and FSA on the bottom so I only need to use 3 hand screws to mount it on the losmandy tripod.  That adapter unfortunately adds some weight.   I do remove the saddle / “dec plate” when stowing the mount.   

I suspect John could easily remove the saddle (two knob screws) when stowing the mount, then reattach the dec plate when it is in the case.  

The “lift” of the whole 1100 (sans dec plate) is (it feels) a little less than a 1200 RA axis and about the same as a 12” Meade SCT.  
I weighed the 12” SCT once — seemed to be about 40lbs.   Right at the limit for my ability.   Doable but requires thought planning and determination. 

On May 11, 2021, at 5:57 PM, M Hambrick <mhambrick563@...> wrote:

Hi John

That's a very nice case. The foam cutout job looks really good.

Out of curiosity, how do you manage the assembled 1100 mount ? I think that you are somewhere in the range of 45+ pounds for the assembled mount with a saddle plate attached.

Mike

John A. Sillasen

I've learned that with the 8" extension added to both the Eagle Pier & the ATS8X48 Portable Pier, that I have set the legs to their lowest position.  Then if I lift the mount to a table then I can hold it close to the body and place or lift a bit or best ask for help to put it on the Flat Surface Adapter.  At our age, never travel alone.  Always travel with a buddy. It helps even to set up canopies (2), tables, cooking setups and then the Telescope equipment. Pier, then mount, then scope, (obviously,  right). 

We've gone so far as to get GMRS licenses and radios because CB radios aren't used much, FRS or 2 way radios don't have the range that GMRS radios have. They're even useful at a large star party! Hey, you need to see this setup, that kind of thing.

I don't have the room to use one of those hydraulic tables that Harley-Davison uses or I might have gone that way.  I have an electric trike to get around the fields easier.

John