Need additional eyes: Mach2 and NINA issue

midmoastro

For a while, my start up routine with the Mach2 and NINA have consisted of the following:
1) set up Mach2 and telescope, balance, rough polar align (no hand controller used with the Mach2)
2) launch APCC, connect mount and AP V2 driver, launch NINA with my specific telescope profile
3) perform 3-point polar alignment, adjust/correct PA, then GoTo object and PlateSolve.
These steps have worked well for me in the past but recently, maybe the last couple weeks, my goto's have been off.
When I finish TPPA and GoTo an object (for the Goto I am using NINA Sky Atlas to search for M106, then slew to it), I am farther off than I used to be. (see image below for APCC errors). I used to only be off by just a tiny bit but now its over 5 degrees off.
Once I plate solve all is well but if I goto a different object it is off again and I have to plate solve all over.
In NINA plate solve I am using ASTAP and I have 'Sync' and 'Reslew to target', On.

I've checked my PC time/date. APCC site settings shows time that matches my PC. What am I missing here?
It's almost like its off by an hour but I cant seem to find what's causing the issue.

Thanks for any insight here.
Todd

Ray Gralak

Hi Todd,

Have you tried Homing the Mach2? That should remove the pointing error. I have seen ASTAP produce false solutions, which may be how you got into this situation.

-Ray

[...]

Charles Thompson

I would home the mount before doing anything next time and can you use Pinpoint2 (the free one)?  I have had issues in the past with my 1100 that were very similar. After switching away from ASTAP I never had it again unless my rough PA was way off. I haven't had an issue with ASTAP and the Mach2 yet but I have only used it a few times so far.

Thanks,
Charles

Sent from mobile device.

[...]

Thanks Ray, I have not tried homing the mount. Do I just use "Find Home" in APCC?
When reading about this, I see the following warning so I am not sure how I should use this.

Thanks Charles. My PA was was really good so that shouldn't have led to the issue.

midmoastro

I think I found my answer in the APCC Pro manual under 'AE Tab'.
1) I'll need to configure home and that launches APPM to calibrate with the night sky
2) set home position (Park 3)

It also sounds like this may need to be in my new routine because if you loosen the clutches and move the mount, (I set up and tear down each evening and I have to balance the telescope), it will not work until you configure home again.

If that is the case, is there an option to just have APPM configure the East or West side of the sky, not both?
I looked for this before but could not figure out how to do it.
Thanks
Todd

Ray Gralak

Thanks Ray, I have not tried homing the mount. Do I just use "Find Home" in APCC?
When reading about this, I see the following warning so I am not sure how I should use this.
Because your mount is an encoder mount, it will show the "AE" tab instead of "Home and Limits" tab. You simply want to home the mount from the AE tab.

-Ray

midmoastro

Okay, I was making this way harder than it needed to be. I got out tonight and had the same issue. After polar aligning I simply clicked the Find Home button and the mount went home (park 3). After that I performed a goto in Nina and was off by a tiny bit. A quick plate solve centered it like before. Thanks Ray.
Todd