My Mach2 first light

weihaowang

Hi,

Our Mach2 arrived last December. We made a tripod adapter to put it on a TAK wood tripod, and a counterweight shaft adapter to use our existing counterweights. Now it’s ready to go.

We are having some excellent weather (which is rare) this weekend. So I took the Mach2 to a dark place. The scope that goes with it is a TAK TOA-150, and the camera is Pentax 645z. I attached two photos. One is our Mach2 with TOA-150. The other photo has two TOA-150, and ours is the one to the right. The one to the left is my friend’s TAK EM-400. The Mach2 is shorter, much more compact, and also much lighter.

Now it’s slightly passed midnight. I am continuously imaging. The Mach2 is solid, stable, trouble free, and very easy to use. I can’t say the same for our previous mount. So I am extremely happy now.

For polar alignment, I initially tried the RAPAS. It’s very easy to use, but somehow I got a large alignment error. Later I align it again with a PoleMaster. Now PHD2 rarely needs to issue correction commands. Even when PHD2 does issue correction commands, I suspect that it’s just chasing the seeing. The tracking is very good now. And I will study why my first attempt with RAPAS failed. I really prefer using a polar scope rather than PoleMaster.

Will show you the images I take after a few days. I have one more night to go, and it will take a few days to process the images.

Cheers,
Wei-Hao

--

Homepage:

http://www.asiaa.sinica.edu.tw/~whwang/

Astrobin gallery:
http://www.astrobin.com/users/whwang/

Roland Christen

I like the Apple logo on the gearbox Smile

To align the RAPAS, first you need to do a polar alignment with another application (Drift method or Polemaster). Once the mount is polar aligned, you can then align the RAPAS with the 3 push-pull screws until Polaris is placed at the proper point in the 24 hour reticle. Once you do that, you can re-create the polar alignment using just the polar scope.

[...]

Hi Roland,

Thank you for the tip. I will use PoleMaster to calibrate the polar scope after moonrise.

--

Homepage:

http://www.asiaa.sinica.edu.tw/~whwang/

Astrobin gallery:
http://www.astrobin.com/users/whwang/

weihaowang

Edited

This is my first light image:
https://astrob.in/u0k5c1/0/

This is not exactly the first exposure made with our Mach2, but definitely the first finished image.  The other images taken by Mach2 will need significantly more integration.

--

Homepage:

http://www.asiaa.sinica.edu.tw/~whwang/

Astrobin gallery:
http://www.astrobin.com/users/whwang/

Dean Jacobsen

Nice image.  I will have to put M41 on my list.  -20 declination is about as far south as I can image and get a good result.
--
Dean Jacobsen
http://astrophoto.net/wp/