My AP1100 CP4 died (I think ..., need confirmation)

Cheng-Yang Tan

Hi guys,
   I think my AP1100 CP4 died this evening. The first symptom was that my CP4 wasn't recognized with the USB connection. But I could talk to it via TCPIP (my backup). But APCC couldn't move the DEC. It gave the error message in APCC shown in the attachment. I thought it could be the latest Win update, USB port, USB cable, bad motor cable, Power supply etc. I checked that the CP4 module LED was lit red (and it was). I power cycled the CP4 a few times to be sure that it wasn't hung up on something. That didn't fix the problem.

  After two hours of monkeying around, I gave up and brought everything back inside. Since I have a Mach1GTO with its CP4, I used the same USB cable, power supply and computer to verify whether any of them were the problem. These tests showed that the same computer, USB cable and PS worked with my Mach1GTO CP4.

  So after the Mach1GTO tests, I wanted to test the AP1100 CP4 again. But this time the LED didn't light up.

  Well, I guess the CP4 must have died a slow painful death :(  Is there anything else I should or can test before I ask for an RMA to ship it back to AstroPhysics for repair?

cytan

Roland Christen

It's highly unlikely your CP4 died.

You had a motor stall. Possible poor connection of your motor cable. Possible poor connection to your power supply.

[...]

Any suggestions as to what to test?

I thought I had at least checked that some of the USB cabling, PS, computer were ok with the Mach1.

cytan

On Saturday, May 29, 2021, 11:51 PM, Roland Christen via groups.io <chris1011@...> wrote:

[...]

Jeffc

fwiw.  One time I snagged a Dec cable on the AP1200.   And got a yellow light (CP3).
After unsnarling the cable the yellow light persisted.  Turned out a couple wires had become “unsoldered” side the Dec motor connector on the cable side.    I soldered them back up and the mount then worked.
Then I bought spare cables.

I presume you do not have spare 1100 cables to test with.

Is it possible the RA or Dec cable wiring has become loose inside the connector?

-jeff

On May 29, 2021, at 9:59 PM, Cheng-Yang Tan via groups.io <cytan299@...> wrote:

 Any suggestions as to what to test?

I thought I had at least checked that some of the USB cabling, PS, computer were ok with the Mach1.

cytan

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPad

[...]

Make sure that all your cables inside the mount are plugged in. Check the cables going to the motor boxes.

Call George during office hours and he will assist you with a couple of simple tests and checks.

[...]

Steve Salvo

My CP4 was showing similar issues.  Turned out to be mount limit warnings.

see below from Rolando.

 Roland Christen
07/31/20

'm afraid to repeat these tests as there could be potential problems with the hardware,
The "Motor Stall" warning will occur when unsafe limits are exceeded. This is not a warning that something is wrong with the motor or electronics, it is simply telling you that the software has turned off the power to the motors to prevent your scope from being damaged. At this time we use the same error code for all situations where the motor power has been turned off. It probably could be changed to indicate not "motor stall" but "motor power deactivated".  However, we have many other software challenges right now and this one will have to wait a bit. Be assured that nothing bad has happened to your electronics or the motors.

Rolando

Cheng-Yang Tan

Hi Rolando,
   I'll call George on Tuesday.

   In case, he does read posts on the long weekend, I did the following this morning:

(1) Checked that the PS is spitting out 13.8V.
(2) When connected the PS to the AP1100 CP4, the CP4 LED does not light. NO other cables other than the power cable is connected.
(3) I connected the motor and encoder cables (+ the PS is connected).
     (a) LED on CP4 remains unlit.
     (b) The encoder LEDs are lit (green and blue).
     (c) I checked that the pins of the keypad socket and they do show 13.8V.
(4) I opened the motor plug of the cable to see if all the wires are soldered properly. They are.

Aside: I took the PS and powered my Mach1GTO CP4 with no other cables connected and I see the CP4 LED lit red.

I hope that's enough info to start the debugging process.

cytan

On Sunday, May 30, 2021, 10:04:39 AM CDT, Roland Christen via groups.io <chris1011@...> wrote:

[...]

Do you remember whether your CP4 LED lit up?

Anyway, it was a very weird night. After powering up, with the CP4 LED lit up, I wasn't able to talk to the CP4 with USB. I changed USB cables and used my backup laptop and both wasn't able to talk to the CP4. But I was able to talk to it via TCPIP. In APCC, I can move the mount in RA but not DEC. That's when the stall error popped up.

After taking it back indoors, the CP4 LED no longer lights up :(

cytan

On Sunday, May 30, 2021, 01:04:04 PM CDT, Steve Salvo via groups.io <sws105@...> wrote:

[...]

Yes, initially it lite red.  As soon as I directed east, the yellow light immediately went on and the mount would not move in the east direction. After restarting, the mount would move west, but not east.  Directing east caused the light to turn yellow and motor stall.

Steve

On May 30, 2021, at 14:09, Cheng-Yang Tan via groups.io <cytan299@...> wrote:

[...]

It's one big fat zero right now. CP4 LED is off, and after I connect the ethernet cable, nothing blinks on the ethernet port (unlike the first part of last night).

I opened up the plug for DEC and everything is well soldered.

So, I think it is really dead, dead :( unless George has some magic CP4 reset that I can do at home. Or there's a fuse than can be reset or replaced inside the box ...

cytan

On Sunday, May 30, 2021, 03:23:38 PM CDT, Steve Salvo <sws105@...> wrote:

[...]

Hi Steve,

One other thing to try. Open the cover of your CP4 and push down on the small circuit board to reseat the connections. It is possible that it came loose from the main board. It is highly unusual for a CP4 to simply die. Let us know if that works for you.

Clear Skies,

Marj Christen

Astro-Physics

11250 Forest Hills Road

Machesney Park, IL 61115

Phone: 815-282-1513

www.astro-physics.com

[...]

You mean this board that I put a rectangle around it?

On Sunday, May 30, 2021, 03:37:01 PM CDT, Marj Christen <marj@...> wrote:

[...]

I pushed on it. But it didn't feel loose. But after doing that, the LED lit.

I'll work on it later this evening ...

Thanks!

cytan

On Sunday, May 30, 2021, 04:09:40 PM CDT, Cheng-Yang Tan via groups.io <cytan299@...> wrote:

[...]

No, the big board on the left that has the main microprocessor on it.

Roland

[...]

Push on the main board. It may be loose. It can happen if you dropped the CP4 at some point. If it becomes loose, the LED will not light up and there will be no communication. It is held in place by standoffs. Push on all 4 corners. There is a long connector underneath, and you can see if it is fully seated.

Roland

[...]

  That was the problem! I pushed on the main board and could feel the board going back into its socket. It moved quite a bit. I have no idea why it would have moved out of its socket because I've never dropped it. But then I'm the second owner, so maybe it was jarred a little bit loose during this second shipping and I do transport it in and out to setup every time. And over time, it popped out.

I've tested it fully cabled up and no more problems: it talks via USB and slews find in DEC.

Thanks again!

cytan

On Sunday, May 30, 2021, 05:11:06 PM CDT, Roland Christen via groups.io <chris1011@...> wrote:

[...]

I'm glad you solved it. Actually Marj came up with the solution, so I am naming her "Employee of the Day". Maybe I'll make a Pizza for her tomorrow, with all her favorite toppings.

By the way, there should have been a small square of foam on top of the board to keep it in place. On later versions of the CP4 we used a different standoff that has screws to keep the board in place.

[...]

Thanks Marj! Pizza is definitely well deserved.

I didn't see any foam when I took the cover apart. It's easy for me to add some black electronic foam to hold it in place.

cytan

On Sunday, May 30, 2021, 08:49:50 PM CDT, Roland Christen via groups.io <chris1011@...> wrote:

[...]

Christopher Erickson

I was just about to suggest checking the power cable and power supply...

-Christopher Erickson
Observatory Engineer
Summit Kinetics
Waikoloa, Hawaii

On Sunday, May 30, 2021, 08:49:50 PM CDT, Roland Christen via groups.io <chris1011=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

[...]

Be careful that you don't use something that's conductive, or you may have infinite problems. Electronic foam is slightly conductive to allow static charge to dissipate to ground.