Mount Status Not Updating in MaxIm DL Observatory Control Window

M Hambrick

I am not sure if this is an APCC or MaxIm DL problem so I am putting this in both forums.

I have just started running my Astro-Physics 1100 GTO mount through Astro-Physics Command Center (APCC Pro Version 1.9.0.11) and the Observatory control window in MaxIm DL Pro (currently on V 6.29), and until tonight there have been no issues other than the normal learning curve.

I am using the AP ASCOM V2 Telescope Driver (version 5.30.10)

Tonight, after connecting my cameras and mount to MaxIm I gave the first GoTo command to the mount from MaxIm and it executed it correctly, but afterwards the mount would accept no more GoTo or any other commands through the MaxIm observatory control window. Note that when I gave the mount commands through APCC it behaved normally.

What I have observed is that after the mount finished slewing to the GoTo object, The mount status in MaxIm thought the mount was still slewing. Clicking the Abort button made no difference.

I shut down and restarted the mount, MaxIm, and APCC several times but always got the same result after the first GoTo command was executed.

Until tonight I had been using a Cat 5e .ethernet cable to connect from the mount controller to my computer. Tonight I started out with a new Cat 6a cable, but switching back to the original Cat 5e cable made no difference.

Mike

Ray Gralak

Tonight, after connecting my cameras and mount to MaxIm I gave the first GoTo command to the mount from
MaxIm and it executed it correctly, but afterwards the mount would accept no more GoTo or any other
commands through the MaxIm observatory control window. Note that when I gave the mount commands
through APCC it behaved normally.
We're going to need to see your APCC logs to understand what happened.

-Ray

-----Original Message-----
From: main@ap-gto.groups.io [mailto:main@ap-gto.groups.io] On Behalf Of M Hambrick
Sent: Monday, November 8, 2021 9:07 PM
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Subject: [ap-gto] Mount Status Not Updating in MaxIm DL Observatory Control Window

I am not sure if this is an APCC or MaxIm DL problem so I am putting this in both forums.

I have just started running my Astro-Physics 1100 GTO mount through Astro-Physics Command Center (APCC
Pro Version 1.9.0.11) and the Observatory control window in MaxIm DL Pro (currently on V 6.29), and until
tonight there have been no issues other than the normal learning curve.

Tonight, after connecting my cameras and mount to MaxIm I gave the first GoTo command to the mount from
MaxIm and it executed it correctly, but afterwards the mount would accept no more GoTo or any other
commands through the MaxIm observatory control window. Note that when I gave the mount commands
through APCC it behaved normally.

What I have observed is that after the mount finished slewing to the GoTo object, The mount status in MaxIm
thought the mount was still slewing. Clicking the Abort button made no difference.

I shut down and restarted the mount, MaxIm, and APCC several times but always got the same result after the
first GoTo command was executed.

Until tonight I had been using a Cat 5e .ethernet cable to connect from the mount controller to my computer.
Tonight I started out with a new Cat 6a cable, but switching back to the original Cat 5e cable made no
difference.

Mike

M Hambrick

HI Ray

Is this what you are looking for ?? These are the zipped files from the last 5 days. Everything prior to November 8 worked fine.

Mike

M Hambrick

Actually Ray, I think that maybe these are the logs you are looking for: There are three different instances because I started and stopped APCC several times trying to figure out what was going on.

Mike

Roland Christen

I have exactly the same problem with MaximDL. It started doing this about 3 - 4 months ago and now I cannot get it to recognize the tracking mode after the first slew. Before this, I never had any problem with MaximDL slewing or centering a star on the crosshairs.

Rolando

Sent: Mon, Nov 8, 2021 11:07 pm
Subject: [ap-gto] Mount Status Not Updating in MaxIm DL Observatory Control Window

I have just started running my Astro-Physics 1100 GTO mount through Astro-Physics Command Center (APCC Pro Version 1.9.0.11) and the Observatory control window in MaxIm DL Pro (currently on V 6.29), and until tonight there have been no issues other than the normal learning curve.

Tonight, after connecting my cameras and mount to MaxIm I gave the first GoTo command to the mount from MaxIm and it executed it correctly, but afterwards the mount would accept no more GoTo or any other commands through the MaxIm observatory control window. Note that when I gave the mount commands through APCC it behaved normally.

What I have observed is that after the mount finished slewing to the GoTo object, The mount status in MaxIm thought the mount was still slewing. Clicking the Abort button made no difference.

I shut down and restarted the mount, MaxIm, and APCC several times but always got the same result after the first GoTo command was executed.

Until tonight I had been using a Cat 5e .ethernet cable to connect from the mount controller to my computer. Tonight I started out with a new Cat 6a cable, but switching back to the original Cat 5e cable made no difference.

Mike

--
Roland Christen
Astro-Physics

Roland Christen

It probably won't show anything in APCC logs. I have exactly the same problem with MaximDL hooked directly to the mount via the ASCOM driver without APCC.

Roland

Sent: Tue, Nov 9, 2021 8:56 am
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] Mount Status Not Updating in MaxIm DL Observatory Control Window

> Tonight, after connecting my cameras and mount to MaxIm I gave the first GoTo command to the mount from
> MaxIm and it executed it correctly, but afterwards the mount would accept no more GoTo or any other
> commands through the MaxIm observatory control window. Note that when I gave the mount commands
> through APCC it behaved normally.

We're going to need to see your APCC logs to understand what happened.

-Ray

> -----Original Message-----
> From: main@ap-gto.groups.io [mailto:main@ap-gto.groups.io] On Behalf Of M Hambrick
> Sent: Monday, November 8, 2021 9:07 PM
> To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
> Subject: [ap-gto] Mount Status Not Updating in MaxIm DL Observatory Control Window
>
> I am not sure if this is an APCC or MaxIm DL problem so I am putting this in both forums.
>
> I have just started running my Astro-Physics 1100 GTO mount through Astro-Physics Command Center (APCC
> Pro Version 1.9.0.11) and the Observatory control window in MaxIm DL Pro (currently on V 6.29), and until
> tonight there have been no issues other than the normal learning curve.
>
> I am using the AP ASCOM V2 Telescope Driver (version 5.30.10)
>
> Tonight, after connecting my cameras and mount to MaxIm I gave the first GoTo command to the mount from
> MaxIm and it executed it correctly, but afterwards the mount would accept no more GoTo or any other
> commands through the MaxIm observatory control window. Note that when I gave the mount commands
> through APCC it behaved normally.
>
> What I have observed is that after the mount finished slewing to the GoTo object, The mount status in MaxIm
> thought the mount was still slewing. Clicking the Abort button made no difference.
>
> I shut down and restarted the mount, MaxIm, and APCC several times but always got the same result after the
> first GoTo command was executed.
>
> Until tonight I had been using a Cat 5e .ethernet cable to connect from the mount controller to my computer.
> Tonight I started out with a new Cat 6a cable, but switching back to the original Cat 5e cable made no
> difference.
>
> Mike
>
>
>

--
Roland Christen
Astro-Physics

M Hambrick

That’s interesting Roland. Have you asked the folks at Diffraction Limited about this ?

Roland Christen

No, not yet. I just got back yesterday from a 3 week trip to the islands.

Roland

Sent: Tue, Nov 9, 2021 5:08 pm
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] Mount Status Not Updating in MaxIm DL Observatory Control Window

That’s interesting Roland. Have you asked the folks at Diffraction Limited about this ?

--
Roland Christen
Astro-Physics

M Hambrick

Hi Roland

I would be interested to know what they tell you. They are pretty much taking the stance with me that it is not a MaxIm DL problem and must be something with APCC or the AP ASCOM V2 Driver.

How are you connecting your mount (CPX) to your computer ? USB, Ethernet, Serial, or Wireless ? I have been using an ethernet cable.

Mike

Ray Gralak

Hi Mike,

I have MaximDL 6.29 installed, but I cannot reproduce the behavior that you mentioned. I could not find anything obviously wrong in the APCC logs that you provided yesterday.

Can you provide the exact steps you used to produce this problem? You could even do this in the day if you wanted.

And if you can reproduce it, please use the APCC Log zipper and include both APCC and ASCOM logs in the zip file.

-Ray

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io [mailto:main@ap-gto.groups.io] On Behalf Of M Hambrick
Sent: Wednesday, November 10, 2021 5:54 AM

Hi Roland

I would be interested to know what they tell you. They are pretty much taking the stance with me that it is not a
MaxIm DL problem and must be something with APCC or the AP ASCOM V2 Driver.

How are you connecting your mount (CPX) to your computer ? USB, Ethernet, Serial, or Wireless ? I have
been using an ethernet cable.

Mike

M Hambrick

Hi Ray

Thanks for weighing in on this issue. I guess my question to you is whether you know of any reason why the mount status would stop being sent to MaxIm DL. The folks at Diffraction Limited say that this is not a MaxIm problem. Roland's comment suggests that it is not an APCC problem because he experienced the same kind of problems when running from just the ASCOM Driver.

I am going to try to set everything up indoors later today to see if I can reproduce the problem. However, I can describe as best as I can remember the steps and observations that I made when this happened. I have a few screen shots.

1. Connected the camera USB cables and ethernet cable from the mount to my laptop
  2. Powered up the mount
  3. Launched APCC and connected to the mount (using ethernet cable peer to peer) - successful connection
  4. Connected to the AP-V2 Driver - successful connection
  5. Checked virtual port from ASCOM V2 Telescope Driver - Got the Mount found message
  6. Launched MaxIm DL. Connected to the cameras and started cooling
  7. Opened the Observatory Control in MaxIm DL and connected to the telescope (Astro-Physics GTO V2 Mount) - successful
  8. Opened the Catalog tab in the MaxIm Observatory Control window and searched for M57. Clicked on GoTo button and the mount slewed to M57.
  9. Searched in the Catalog tab for Vega. At this time the GoTo button was greyed out. The Telescope status indicated that MaxIm thought that the mount was still slewing when in fact it was in the normal tracking mode (see screen shots below from the other night).
  10. Note that the Mount status in APCC and the AP-V2 Telescope Driver looked OK
  11. I disconnected the mount from MaxIm (with dificulty since MaxIM thought the mount was still moving) and reconnected it. The mount status in MaxIm appeared to be normal (in the tracking mode). From APCC I then parked the mount. There is a screen shot below that shows the status in MaxIm after the mount was parked.

Ray Gralak

Ø  10. Note that the Mount status in APCC and the AP-V2 Telescope Driver looked OK

If the driver and APCC indicated the mount status as normal, this points to a possible MaximDL issue. It might be that MaximDL is looking to match the target J2000 coordinates, and they were slightly different. The mount only uses local apparent (aka JNow).

Another thing you can try: if you have a planetarium program, if this happens again, try invoking a slew from the planetarium program to see if the driver is stuck or MaximDL.

-Ray

Sent: Wednesday, November 10, 2021 8:14 AM

Hi Ray

Thanks for weighing in on this issue. I guess my question to you is whether you know of any reason why the mount status would stop being sent to MaxIm DL. The folks at Diffraction Limited say that this is not a MaxIm problem. Roland's comment suggests that it is not an APCC problem because he experienced the same kind of problems when running from just the ASCOM Driver.

I am going to try to set everything up indoors later today to see if I can reproduce the problem. However, I can describe as best as I can remember the steps and observations that I made when this happened. I have a few screen shots.

1. Connected the camera USB cables and ethernet cable from the mount to my laptop
  2. Powered up the mount
  3. Launched APCC and connected to the mount (using ethernet cable peer to peer) - successful connection
  5. Checked virtual port from ASCOM V2 Telescope Driver - Got the Mount found message
  7. Opened the Observatory Control in MaxIm DL and connected to the telescope (Astro-Physics GTO V2 Mount) - successful
  8. Opened the Catalog tab in the MaxIm Observatory Control window and searched for M57. Clicked on GoTo button and the mount slewed to M57.
  9. Searched in the Catalog tab for Vega. At this time the GoTo button was greyed out. The Telescope status indicated that MaxIm thought that the mount was still slewing when in fact it was in the normal tracking mode (see screen shots below from the other night).
  11. I disconnected the mount from MaxIm (with dificulty since MaxIM thought the mount was still moving) and reconnected it. The mount status in MaxIm appeared to be normal (in the tracking mode). From APCC I then parked the mount. There is a screen shot below that shows the status in MaxIm after the mount was parked.

Roland Christen

I use a USB cable directly from my laptop to the CP5.

Roland

Sent: Wed, Nov 10, 2021 7:53 am

Hi Roland

I would be interested to know what they tell you. They are pretty much taking the stance with me that it is not a MaxIm DL problem and must be something with APCC or the AP ASCOM V2 Driver.

How are you connecting your mount (CPX) to your computer ? USB, Ethernet, Serial, or Wireless ? I have been using an ethernet cable.

Mike

--
Roland Christen
Astro-Physics

Roland Christen

Ray,

If I connect Maxim DL directly without APCC, it brings up the ASCOM driver but will show an error message saying that the mount cannot be found.
If I connect SkyX first, without APCC, and let it bring up the ASCOM driver, then Maxim DL will connect to the driver and will show tracking at the sidereal rate. However, after a first slew from Maxim it will not update to tracking once the slew is completed.

Roland

Sent: Wed, Nov 10, 2021 8:20 am

Hi Mike,

I have MaximDL 6.29 installed, but I cannot reproduce the behavior that you mentioned. I could not find anything obviously wrong in the APCC logs that you provided yesterday.

Can you provide the exact steps you used to produce this problem? You could even do this in the day if you wanted.

And if you can reproduce it, please use the APCC Log zipper and include both APCC and ASCOM logs in the zip file.

-Ray

> From: main@ap-gto.groups.io [mailto:main@ap-gto.groups.io] On Behalf Of M Hambrick
> Sent: Wednesday, November 10, 2021 5:54 AM
> Subject: Re: [ap-gto] Mount Status Not Updating in MaxIm DL Observatory Control Window
>
> Hi Roland
>
> I would be interested to know what they tell you. They are pretty much taking the stance with me that it is not a
> MaxIm DL problem and must be something with APCC or the AP ASCOM V2 Driver.
>
>  How are you connecting your mount (CPX) to your computer ? USB, Ethernet, Serial, or Wireless ? I have
> been using an ethernet cable.
>
> Mike
>

--
Roland Christen
Astro-Physics

Andrea Lucchetti

I am not sure to help here...
Regarding the second point, as I see skyx, you may want to check this thread   #71772  
There was no maxim involved in my case but there was a problem stopping a slew commanded in skyx.

Andrea

Roland Christen

It is NOT a problem with APCC! It does the same with APCC out of the loop. Maxim is not picking up the ASCOM driver status after a slew. It's as simple as that. Why it doesn't is a mystery.

Roland

Sent: Wed, Nov 10, 2021 10:13 am

Hi Ray

2. Powered up the mount

--
Roland Christen
Astro-Physics

Roland Christen

Another thing you can try: if you have a planetarium program, if this happens again, try invoking a slew from the planetarium program to see if the driver is stuck or MaximDL.
You can slew from a planetarium program and Maxim is NOT stuck. It's only if you slew with Maxim. It has nothing to do with matching coordinate targets. A simple button push slew in Maxim causes the same problem.

Roland

Sent: Wed, Nov 10, 2021 10:24 am

Ø  10. Note that the Mount status in APCC and the AP-V2 Telescope Driver looked OK

If the driver and APCC indicated the mount status as normal, this points to a possible MaximDL issue. It might be that MaximDL is looking to match the target J2000 coordinates, and they were slightly different. The mount only uses local apparent (aka JNow).

-Ray

Sent: Wednesday, November 10, 2021 8:14 AM

Hi Ray

2. Powered up the mount

--
Roland Christen
Astro-Physics

Ray Gralak

If I connect Maxim DL directly without APCC, it brings up the ASCOM driver but will show an error message
saying that the mount cannot be found.
If I connect SkyX first, without APCC, and let it bring up the ASCOM driver, then Maxim DL will connect to the
driver and will show tracking at the sidereal rate. However, after a first slew from Maxim it will not update to
tracking once the slew is completed.
If MaximDL is being run "as administrator" in your first case, it can use a different COM port than when run as a regular user. That's because there can be two separate ASCOM driver instances running simultaneously (administrator and regular user). The administrator and user instances of the ASCOM driver have separately configurable COM port numbers. The driver will not be able to connect if the administrator driver instance is using the wrong COM port, or if the COM port is already in use by the regular user instance of the ASCOM driver.

-Ray

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io [mailto:main@ap-gto.groups.io] On Behalf Of Roland Christen via groups.io
Sent: Wednesday, November 10, 2021 8:32 AM

Ray,

If I connect Maxim DL directly without APCC, it brings up the ASCOM driver but will show an error message
saying that the mount cannot be found.
If I connect SkyX first, without APCC, and let it bring up the ASCOM driver, then Maxim DL will connect to the
driver and will show tracking at the sidereal rate. However, after a first slew from Maxim it will not update to
tracking once the slew is completed.

Roland

Sent: Wed, Nov 10, 2021 8:20 am

Hi Mike,

I have MaximDL 6.29 installed, but I cannot reproduce the behavior that you mentioned. I could not find
anything obviously wrong in the APCC logs that you provided yesterday.

Can you provide the exact steps you used to produce this problem? You could even do this in the day if you
wanted.

And if you can reproduce it, please use the APCC Log zipper and include both APCC and ASCOM logs in the
zip file.

-Ray

Sent: Wednesday, November 10, 2021 5:54 AM

Hi Roland

I would be interested to know what they tell you. They are pretty much taking the stance with me that it is not
a
MaxIm DL problem and must be something with APCC or the AP ASCOM V2 Driver.

How are you connecting your mount (CPX) to your computer ? USB, Ethernet, Serial, or Wireless ? I have
been using an ethernet cable.

Mike

--
Roland Christen
Astro-Physics

Roland Christen

Maxim is not being run as administrator in my case. However, the MaximDL - ASCOM connection in this case is another instance where Maxim is not working as it should. It used to work in the past but for some reason does not any more.

Roland

Sent: Wed, Nov 10, 2021 11:07 am

> If I connect Maxim DL directly without APCC, it brings up the ASCOM driver but will show an error message
> saying that the mount cannot be found.
> If I connect SkyX first, without APCC, and let it bring up the ASCOM driver, then Maxim DL will connect to the
> driver and will show tracking at the sidereal rate. However, after a first slew from Maxim it will not update to
> tracking once the slew is completed.

If MaximDL is being run "as administrator" in your first case, it can use a different COM port than when run as a regular user. That's because there can be two separate ASCOM driver instances running simultaneously (administrator and regular user). The administrator and user instances of the ASCOM driver have separately configurable COM port numbers.  The driver will not be able to connect if the administrator driver instance is using the wrong COM port, or if the COM port is already in use by the regular user instance of the ASCOM driver.

-Ray

> From: main@ap-gto.groups.io [mailto:main@ap-gto.groups.io] On Behalf Of Roland Christen via groups.io
> Sent: Wednesday, November 10, 2021 8:32 AM
> Subject: Re: [ap-gto] Mount Status Not Updating in MaxIm DL Observatory Control Window
>
> Ray,
>
>
> If I connect Maxim DL directly without APCC, it brings up the ASCOM driver but will show an error message
> saying that the mount cannot be found.
> If I connect SkyX first, without APCC, and let it bring up the ASCOM driver, then Maxim DL will connect to the
> driver and will show tracking at the sidereal rate. However, after a first slew from Maxim it will not update to
> tracking once the slew is completed.
>
>
>
> Roland
>
> From: Ray Gralak <iogroups@...>
> Sent: Wed, Nov 10, 2021 8:20 am
>
>
> Hi Mike,
>
> I have MaximDL 6.29 installed, but I cannot reproduce the behavior that you mentioned. I could not find
> anything obviously wrong in the APCC logs that you provided yesterday.
>
> Can you provide the exact steps you used to produce this problem? You could even do this in the day if you
> wanted.
>
> And if you can reproduce it, please use the APCC Log zipper and include both APCC and ASCOM logs in the
> zip file.
>
> -Ray
>
>
>
> > -----Original Message-----
> > From: main@ap-gto.groups.io [mailto:main@ap-gto.groups.io] On Behalf Of M Hambrick
> > Sent: Wednesday, November 10, 2021 5:54 AM
> > To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
> > Subject: Re: [ap-gto] Mount Status Not Updating in MaxIm DL Observatory Control Window
> >
> > Hi Roland
> >
> > I would be interested to know what they tell you. They are pretty much taking the stance with me that it is not
> a
> > MaxIm DL problem and must be something with APCC or the AP ASCOM V2 Driver.
> >
> >  How are you connecting your mount (CPX) to your computer ? USB, Ethernet, Serial, or Wireless ? I have
> > been using an ethernet cable.
> >
> > Mike
> >
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> --
> Roland Christen
> Astro-Physics
>

--
Roland Christen
Astro-Physics

M Hambrick

Doug George at Diffraction Ltd had me run an experiment to connect to the mount through the ASCOM Device Hub (by way of the AP-V2 ASCOM Driver) instead of APCC, and then connecting MaxIm DL to the mount through the Device Hub. When this was all done I had three different screens showing the status of the mount; the ASCOM Device Hub, MaxIm DL, and the AP-V2 Driver.

I am not sure if I set everything up as Doug was asking me to do. It seems to me that whether I am using APCC or the ASCOM Device Hub, the communication from MaxIm to the mount is still by way of the AP-V2 Driver. The only difference is that the connection to the mount from the AP-V2 Driver was done using the IP address of the mount instead of using the APCC virtual port.

The object of this experiment was to make slewing commands to the mount and compare the mount status in all three after the command was executed. I did this and gave several GoTo commands as well as a park command to the mount from MaxIm. In each case, all three screens were in agreement as to the mount status after the slew was complete (see example below).

I think the next experiment is to go back to my original setup through APCC