Mount Maintenance

Bruce Bartle

Hello all

I was reading the Mach 1 GTO manual as I do from time to time to refresh my memory.  I noted something that I either didn't read before or just forgot.  Under the "Mount Maintenance" section (pg 31 or 32 depending on which version) it states "If the RA and DEC axis are attached together for a long time in outside conditions (i.e. in a permanent observatory) then the mating surfaces should be lightly oiled or greased - if you expect to get them apart again after 10 years".   This is my situation and I've had the mount for 6 years or so and plan on doing this maintenance as soon as it gets a bit warmer up here.  Three questions:  1) I assume this is the joint directly under the DEC clutch knobs?  Or is it the "lower" joint at the RA clutch knobs? (see schematic on page 7)  2) If anyone has done this - is there anything I should be aware of before I start?  3) any recommendations on oil or grease types?

Any help is appreciated.

Regards
--
Bruce
Meadowlark Ridge Observatory

Steven Panish

I assume that as on the 1200 it is the joint between the Dec and RA.  I use a waterproof grease.

Steve

On Thu, Feb 4, 2021 at 4:29 PM Bruce Bartle <brucebartle6@...> wrote:
[...]

CaptMax

AP sells a grease kit for their mounts. This comes with everything you need including a brush. There is plenty of extra to apply a thin layer to the mating surfaces between the DEC and RA on a 1200GTO Mount. I just purchased a kit myself. I love doing business with AP.
CaptMax

Karen Christen

We love doing business with you, as well, Cap’n.  😉

Karen

AP