Mount Disconnect

Steve Reilly

I find myself hunting down an issue that seems to pop up on occasion and am feeling like I’m missing something crucial. An example last night I had some hours of clear sky so I started ACP and the connection to the mount trigger APCC to start. The connection is via a network cable directly to a second port on my NUC. The backup is a serial cable again connecting to the NUC. I tested this the other day in that while connected to ACP through APCC I disconnected the CP4 from the LAN cable and it successfully switched to the serial backup with ACP showing no signs of distress or lost connection. So I know this works.

It seems that somewhere in the course of things this will happen and as far as I can see no apparent reason. Where is a reasonable place to look for clues? The mount has it’s own power supply, the LAN connection is direct as is the serial connection. Everything else stays connected, the camera, rotator, and focuser. If I rerun the startup script it completes and connects. My usual approach is to shut everything down and reboot. That has always worked as best I remember.

Last night after the reboot I images for several hours before the clouds moved in. ACP stayed connected until time to shutdown then ran its script for that.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Steve

Steve Reilly

I think I made this sound as if it is losing connection and switching which I have no idea of. I know if I initiate this by removing the LAN cable it works. What is actually causing the disconnect is in question.

-Steve

[...]

HI Steve

I'm not sure I follow that post - are you saying your mount connection is via Ethernet with USB backup, and sometimes the ethernet disconnects and kicks over to the USB connection? (i.e., the recovery works, but why is ethernet disconnecting in the first place)

If that's the case, are you using UDP or TCP/IP for the ethernet connection? Did you check the comm error log for any errors?

Brian

On Fri, Nov 4, 2022 at 10:15 AM Steve Reilly <sreilly24590@...> wrote:

[...]

Thanks Brian,

I figured I confused this. The connection is being lost in the process of imaging or standing by for the next object. Howard pointed me to a possibility in the Park tab and setting the Safety Park feature to more than 1 minute if safe. My system is setup where it’s safe to start a 30 minute image, narrowband, even if it seconds away from a meridian flip so there’s no wait time lost. The ASCOM driver is setup so it doesn’t need to wait as it can go past the meridian for a good hour without issue. The setting Howard was referring to is in APCC Park tab to the upper right corner. By default (I think) it’s set to 1 minute and checked. The suggestion was to set it to 10 minutes if safe to, mine is. I guess time will tell as this is a random issue. I’ll also check the APCC log files as it should be a last entry as it closes down the program.

Hope this makes sense……

--

Hi Steve

are you saying the mount parks itself and you don't want that to happen? Howard has good advice there though I'm not sure how it relates to your ethernet question (if I understood it properly)

you didn't mention the ethernet connection type: UDP or TCP/IP

On Fri, Nov 4, 2022 at 11:03 AM Steve Reilly <sreilly24590@...> wrote:

[...]

I don't think this is something anyone can definitely answer. Try increasing the network timeout value in APCC in case the computer
is busy doing something and the responses are delayed back to APCC.

-Ray

Emilio J. Robau, P.E.

Steve,

I am no expert, but I would check your LAN ethernet cable and replace it just in case.   Is there any way you can check a log to get any more clues?

Steve Reilly

Hey Ray,

A bit further look into ACP and I discover that the rotator disconnected.
How this has anything to do with the mount disconnecting is beyond me, if
any relation at all. Howard had mentioned the Safety Park setting which I
had checked and was set to 1 minute. At this point I'm not sure what the
real issue is but I've set the Safety Park to 10 minutes.

-Steve

I think I made this sound as if it is losing connection and switching
which I have no idea of. I know if I initiate this by removing the LAN
cable it works. What is actually causing the disconnect is in question.

I don't think this is something anyone can definitely answer. Try increasing
the network timeout value in APCC in case the computer is busy doing
something and the responses are delayed back to APCC.

-Ray

Steve Reilly

Emilio,

Thanks for the response but I tested the backup connection by connecting via the LAN and then disconnecting it from the CP4 and the serial port kept them mount connected,. On my system it’s a direct connection. CP4 to NUC (computer).

-Steve

I am no expert, but I would check your LAN ethernet cable and replace it just in case.   Is there any way you can check a log to get any more clues?

Steve Reilly

I am setup as a TCP/IP connection.

-Steve

I am no expert, but I would check your LAN ethernet cable and replace it just in case.   Is there any way you can check a log to get any more clues?

--

Stacey Mills

I've discussed this with Steve.  We live about 30 min apart.  He's shown that it can't be a problem with the ethernet connection because if he manually unplugs the ethernet connection, the CP4 switches to the backup serial port, and ACP is never the wiser.  He's using a direct ethernet connection to a separate ethernet port on the NUC with the CP4 functioning as "server."  So something else is causing ACP to think the mount is disconnected.

-Chuck (Stacey)

Steve Reilly

Looking a bit deeper the only record I have of the Optec Pyxis disconnecting is in the ACP log but there’s no mention of a mount disconnect but this seems to follow with each of these events. I’m trying to corollate the APCC file for the same date/time as the Optec issue to see if APCC shows anything odd however the APCC log is a very large file. The offset in times is 5 hours as ACP uses UTC and APCC has EST. I guess it would help if I knew what term to look for using the search tool in the APCC log that would indicate the mount disconnect. Any suggestions please?