Motorized Focuser

tjohnson@...

Hi there,

I will be receiving an AP130F6 refractor with a 2.7" rack and pinion
focuser and a 600EGTO mount in January/February. I would like to add a
motor drive to my focuser that I can control with my 600EGTO mount
keypad. The keypad has the electronics built in to control a motor
driven focuser. I am trying to find the best motorized focuser
available. I know Meade makes one as does JMI. Are there others? Which
one is best for the 2.7" focuser?

Your comments please...Terry Johnson

Rich N. <rnapo@...>

Hi Terry,

Why do you want a motor driven focuser?

Rich

Hi there,

I will be receiving an AP130F6 refractor with a 2.7" rack and pinion
focuser and a 600EGTO mount in January/February. I would like to add a
motor drive to my focuser that I can control with my 600EGTO mount
keypad. The keypad has the electronics built in to control a motor
driven focuser. I am trying to find the best motorized focuser
available. I know Meade makes one as does JMI. Are there others? Which
one is best for the 2.7" focuser?

Your comments please...Terry Johnson

Want to send money instantly to anyone, anywhere, anytime?
You can today at X.com - and we'll give you $20 to try it! Sign
up today at X.com. It's quick, free, & there's no obligation!
http://click.egroups.com/1/332/2/_/3615/_/945646666

-- Create a poll/survey for your group!
-- http://www.egroups.com/vote?listname=ap-gto&m=1

howard lazarus <lazhow@...>

Hi Terry;
first congratulations on your 130 and AP 600 mount. First of all it will
take you some time to get adjusted to the alignment process that is required
on the AP 600. Expect to spend hours before you reach the stage of
satisfaction. VSE makes the best, most expensive and the most overkill of
any focuser on the market today. A pure waste of equipment since there is no
image shift on the AP 130 and a pure waste of cost.For the $495 plus $195
for the adapter that VSE charges you can get many other items like
eyepieces, solar filters etc that will add to your enjoyment . Lastly you
need this focuser like a hole in the head. The AP rack and pinion devise
will give you the perfection you seek. Rich N is totally correct.
Howard Lazarus

[...]

http://click.egroups.com/1/332/2/_/3615/_/945647488

eGroups.com Home: http://www.egroups.com/group/ap-gto/

Terry Johnson <tjohnson@...>

Rich, I plan on having a CCD camera attached to the scope and one on the guidescope. Once I have done the polar alignment process and have focused on my first object, I plan on using a wireless two-way communications environment to communicate guiding and focusing commands to the scope. I will see the 'realtime' results on the PC monitor for both the guidescope and the mainscope in the warmth of my home.

The motorized focuser allows me the hands-off environment after inital set-up.

Terry

>I will be receiving an AP130F6 refractor with a 2.7" rack and pinion
>focuser and a 600EGTO mount in January/February. I would like to add a
>motor drive to my focuser that I can control with my 600EGTO mount
>keypad. The keypad has the electronics built in to control a motor
>driven focuser. I am trying to find the best motorized focuser
>available. I know Meade makes one as does JMI. Are there others? Which
>one is best for the 2.7" focuser?
>
>Your comments please...Terry Johnson

>Want to send money instantly to anyone, anywhere, anytime?
>You can today at X.com - and we'll give you $20 to try it!  Sign
>up today at X.com.  It's quick, free, & there's no obligation!
>http://click.egroups.com/1/332/2/_/3615/_/945646666
>
>-- Create a poll/survey for your group!
>-- http://www.egroups.com/vote?listname=ap-gto&m=1

$20 FREE
TO EVERYONE IN YOUR eGROUP!

eGroups.com Home: http://www.egroups.com/group/ap-gto

Terry Johnson <tjohnson@...>

VSE stands for What?

Thanks...TJ

> >I will be receiving an AP130F6 refractor with a 2.7" rack and pinion
> >focuser and a 600EGTO mount in January/February. I would like to add a
> >motor drive to my focuser that I can control with my 600EGTO mount
> >keypad. The keypad has the electronics built in to control a motor
> >driven focuser. I am trying to find the best motorized focuser
> >available. I know Meade makes one as does JMI. Are there others? Which
> >one is best for the 2.7" focuser?
> >
> >Your comments please...Terry Johnson

> >Want to send money instantly to anyone, anywhere, anytime?
> >You can today at X.com - and we'll give you $20 to try it!  Sign
> >up today at X.com.  It's quick, free, & there's no obligation!
> >http://click.egroups.com/1/332/2/_/3615/_/945646666
> >
> >-- Create a poll/survey for your group!
> >-- http://www.egroups.com/vote?listname=ap-gto&m=1

> You can today at X.com - and we'll give you $20 to try it!  Sign
> up today at X.com.  It's quick, free, & there's no obligation!
>
> eGroups.com Home: http://www.egroups.com/group/ap-gto/

Get cash for you...and you...and you...
Get $20 for signing up, then get $10 when each of your friends do.

eGroups.com Home: http://www.egroups.com/group/ap-gto

Douglas W. Forehand <Doug.Forehand@...>

From: "Terry Johnson" <tjohnson@cyberhighway.net>
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 1999 16:23:01 -0800

VSE stands for What?
Van Slyke Engineering

http://www.observatory.org/vsengr.htm

I believe the Super Power Focuser is something like what
you have in mind.

I'd be curious to hear from anyone who has actually bought and
used one of those. I must admit at ~$2000 by the time you've
got all the bits and pieces, I'm not in a hurry to get one.

-Doug

USPS: Douglas W. Forehand INTERNET: dwf@Eng.Sun.Com
Sun Microsystems Inc. VOICE: (408) 774-8015
901 San Antonio Road, MS USUN02-101 FAX: (408) 774-2098
Palo Alto, California 94303-4900

Ray Gralak <ray@...>

Hi Terry,

I recently completed cabling my 1200 GTO mount and SBIG ST-8E camera to a PC
inside my house. I used 2 cables, each 100 feet in length (Belden 8138), one dedicated
to the ST-8E's parallel port, the other is partially used for a couple serial lines to
control the mount (The Sky V5 and DSV 3.0 beta). I also wired a JMI DRO focuser
through the cables so that it sits at my desk next to my computer. I focus my
Takahashi refractor to the nearest 0.01 mm using the DRO and can move the
refractor to any part of the sky

Rich, I plan on having a CCD camera attached to the scope and one on the guidescope. Once I have done the polar alignment process and have focused on my first object, I plan on using a wireless two-way communications environment to communicate guiding and focusing commands to the scope. I will see the 'realtime' results on the PC monitor for both the guidescope and the mainscope in the warmth of my home.

The motorized focuser allows me the hands-off environment after inital set-up.

Terry

>I will be receiving an AP130F6 refractor with a 2.7" rack and pinion
>focuser and a 600EGTO mount in January/February. I would like to add a
>motor drive to my focuser that I can control with my 600EGTO mount
>keypad. The keypad has the electronics built in to control a motor
>driven focuser. I am trying to find the best motorized focuser
>available. I know Meade makes one as does JMI. Are there others? Which
>one is best for the 2.7" focuser?
>
>Your comments please...Terry Johnson

>Want to send money instantly to anyone, anywhere, anytime?
>You can today at X.com - and we'll give you $20 to try it!  Sign
>up today at X.com.  It's quick, free, & there's no obligation!
>http://click.egroups.com/1/332/2/_/3615/_/945646666
>
>-- Create a poll/survey for your group!
>-- http://www.egroups.com/vote?listname=ap-gto&m=1

$20 FREE
TO EVERYONE IN YOUR eGROUP!

eGroups.com Home: http://www.egroups.com/group/ap-gto

eGroups.com Home: http://www.egroups.com/group/ap-gto

Rich N. <rnapo@...>

Why get a telescope? All you need is a VCR.
You can just buy tapes like "The best of Hubble".

Rich
ps To each his own but this kind of astronomy leaves
me cold even when I'm indoors.

[...]

GET $100 IN COUPONS FOR TRYING GATOR!
Grab the Gator! Free software does all the typing for you!
Gator fills in forms and remembers passwords with NO TYPING at
over 100,000 web sites!
http://click.egroups.com/1/341/2/_/3615/_/945735859

-- http://www.egroups.com/cal?listname=ap-gto&m=1

Ray Gralak <ray@...>

My message got cut off. I continue below...
I recently completed cabling my 1200 GTO mount and SBIG ST-8E camera to a PC
inside my house. I used 2 cables, each 100 feet in length (Belden 8138), one dedicated
to the ST-8E's parallel port, the other is partially used for a couple serial lines to
control the mount (The Sky V5 and DSV 3.0 beta). I also wired a JMI DRO focuser
through the cables so that it sits at my desk next to my computer. I focus my
Takahashi refractor to the nearest 0.01 mm using the DRO and can move the
refractor to any part of the sky
with The Sky or DSV. I control the camera with MaximDL. This sure beats freezing in
the cold waiting for an exposure to complete with nothiong else to do.

Recently I did a shot of NGC2024 (the Flame) in Orion with this setup. Here is the
result:

BTW, I tried a wireless solution and it did not work very well.

-Ray

Ray Gralak <ray@...>

Why get a telescope? All you need is a VCR.
You can just buy tapes like "The best of Hubble".

Rich
ps To each his own but this kind of astronomy leaves
me cold even when I'm indoors.
Hi Rich,

I understand why you would think this of someone using their scope
for visual astronomy. But many people purchase AP mounts and scopes to
do Astrophotography. Having done a lot of the focussing and image
taking in the cold, I feel that taking away this discomfort does
not take anything away from Astrophotography. And unless one has another
scope, you can't do any observing anyway since your scope is in use.

And taking your *own* images is far more exciting than looking at a
video of what your imaging, even if the image on the video is better.
Imagine you took this shot of jupiter: :-)

http://www.excelsioroptics.com/

-Ray

[...]

Hi Ray,

He plans to view images on the monitor 'realtime'.

It's his scope and he can do what he wants. But I just
drives me crazy when people don't seem to have any
interest in looking through the eyepiece.

-- I will see the 'realtime' results on the PC monitor for both the
-- guidescope and the mainscope in the warmth of my home.

Rich

Ray Gralak <ray@...>

Hi Ray,

He plans to view images on the monitor 'realtime'.

It's his scope and he can do what he wants. But I just
drives me crazy when people don't seem to have any
interest in looking through the eyepiece.

-- I will see the 'realtime' results on the PC monitor for both the
-- guidescope and the mainscope in the warmth of my home.

Rich
Now why didn't I think of that? :-)

But seriously, he said he would have two *CCD* cameras, which is not
the same thing as video cameras. And he put 'realtime' in quotes
like I just did. I think he was talking about near realtime. Is
this correct, Terry?

-Ray

Terry Johnson <tjohnson@...>

Ray, Thanks for the response.

The environment I am engineering is very similar to what you have described. I have TheSky level 5 and will have DSV 3.0 once the scope/mount arrives. I recently purchased an IBM PC with a lighted key board that works slick in the dark to run the software. With the PC, GTO mount, wireless two-way communication, a motorized focuser, and CCDs on the scope and the guidescope, I should beable to operate the scope from inside the house or car.

You mentioned you did not have very good success with wireless two-way communication. What was the problem.

Your environment sounds great, Keep in touch, Thanks...Terry

[...]

Click Here eGroups.com Home: http://www.egroups.com/group/ap-gto

Ray Gralak <ray@...>

Hi Terry,

You mentioned you did not have very good success with wireless two-way communication. What was the problem.

Very slow communications speed (when they connected) and the link would drop. This was using ZoomAir
wireless PCMCIA cards without direct line of sight. It was a lot better when the two PC's were real close
and in line of sight.

-Ray

Terry Johnson <tjohnson@...>

Ray,

I believe the two-way communications environment that is needed can be done via a headphones/microphone combination with a belt-mounted transmitter that transmits to a reciever on the mic-in jack on the computer. The computer, in-turn, will communicate back to the sender with a computer mounted transmitter that is attached to the speakers-out jack on the computer. The sender will receive the transmission via the receiver in the headphones.

What do you think?

Terry

You mentioned you did not have very good success with wireless two-way communication. What was the problem.

Very slow communications speed (when they connected) and the link would drop. This was using ZoomAir
wireless PCMCIA cards without direct line of sight. It was a lot better when the two PC's were real close
and in line of sight.

-Ray

Get cash for you...and you...and you...
Get $20 for signing up, then get $10 when each of your friends do.

eGroups.com Home: http://www.egroups.com/group/ap-gto

Ray Gralak <ray@...>

Hi Terry,

That may work just fine, but what about the CCD cameras? If you have to
run a cable for them you might as well run a Cat 5e cable instead and run
100mb ethernet between the two PC's. Then you could use PC Anywhere or
something similar to control the remote PC from your indoor PC.

[...]

Ray, I was looking to have the PC, as well as everything else outside, with the exception of myself and my headset.

All direct connect wiring will be outside. This includes the PC, the scope mount, and CCD cameras.

TJ

[...]

Ray, this is my second response. I do not understand why you refer to two PCs? If one PC can support two parallel ports (two CCD cameras) and two serial ports (TheSkyV5 and DSOV3), then you do not need two PCs. You control the environment with the two-way communications from inside the home.  <- In this example the PC will be located inside the home so you can view the monitor.

You also have the option of having the PC outside. With this environment, you have hands free guidance of the scope using the two-way communications network and visual viewing 'realtime' via the monitor. This approach allows you to keep your hands in your pockets or eat pizza while you shoot the breeze with your friends?

[...]

I didn't know what your specific intentions were so I told you about my setup.
If you are using a notebook computer for both inside and outside imaging
then you don't have an issue. But my P-II 266 MHz notebook doesn't have
enough "Umph" or disk space to handle too many ST-8E images (1530x1020),
so I gave up on using it except when I go remote.

At home, my mount is not permanently setup so I have to do a polar alignment whenever
I move the mount. When doing CCD imaging I find that I achieve the greatest polar alignment
accuracy when I center my alignment stars on the CCD chip (manually polar aligning the scope
while doing this).

Having a PC stationed outdoors in my small observatory (i.e.shed!) allows me to do the
polar alignment and rough focussing there then connect the cables to another PC in my
house when I'm ready to control things from inside. And on nice evenings I can image
outdoors instead since my setup allows me that flexibility. It's the cold nights doing
CCD imaging that I'm trying to avoid with an indoor PC.

I suggested using Cat 5e ethernet cable because in one of your previous emails
you said you would be *200* feet away from your telescope. In another email you said
you want to view the images 'realtime', so I assumed your computer will also
be 200 feet away. This distance may be too long for a serial or parallel connection,
even with good cables. This is why you would need two PCs.

My suggestion was to use the ethernet connection to control the remote PC via
PC Anywhere, which would make your inside PC's screen look the outside PC's
and control it just as if you were at it. The remote PC would have short serial
and parallel connections to the mount and CCD cameras. Also 200 ft of ethernet
cable is a lot cheaper than 400 feet of Belden 8138. Although a good shed to put
the outdoor PC in will cost a lot more than the cable! :-) But you may not have a
choice at 200 ft distance (but you could always try it and see).

I hope this explains things!

Good luck,

-Ray