Topics

Motor Gear box removal instructions (newer auto-meshing model)

John O'Grady

Hi,

I'm looking for instructions on how to remove the motor gear box on my AP1100GTO.  I have the latest model (I believe) of motor gear box supporting auto-meshing capability with the lever for disengaging the worm from the worm wheel.  I can't find removal instructions for this specific model of motor gear box.  I'm wanting to re-grease the mount and the instructions that came with the grease kit describe an earlier model that has cap screws on the exterior.  I hesitant to proceed opening things up without the matching documentation.  

I checked the documents on astro-physics website and the files on groups.io but I may be overlooking which manual is the correct one to follow.
Can someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks
John

Charles Thompson

I believe the screws are deeper in those holes that have the cover screws. It takes a little precision to get the allen key all the way in there and hit the mark. That might be what you are missing. 

Thanks,
Charles

Sent from mobile device.

-------- Original message --------
Date: 5/17/20 8:18 PM (GMT-06:00)
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Subject: [ap-gto] Motor Gear box removal instructions (newer auto-meshing model)

Hi,

I'm looking for instructions on how to remove the motor gear box on my AP1100GTO.  I have the latest model (I believe) of motor gear box supporting auto-meshing capability with the lever for disengaging the worm from the worm wheel.  I can't find removal instructions for this specific model of motor gear box.  I'm wanting to re-grease the mount and the instructions that came with the grease kit describe an earlier model that has cap screws on the exterior.  I hesitant to proceed opening things up without the matching documentation.  

I checked the documents on astro-physics website and the files on groups.io but I may be overlooking which manual is the correct one to follow.
Can someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks
John

John O'Grady

Hi Charles,

Thanks for responding and I apologize if my earlier post wasn't clear. 
I have a motor gear box without cover (cap) screws. 
Therefore, I'm at a bit of a loss as to how to proceed.

Thanks,
John

John O'Grady

Hi,

When I remove the plate with the motor & encoder connectors, I see there are two screws on a plate behind the motor. 
I'm assuming I want to:
1. Use the lever to remove the worm from the worm gear
2. Remove the two bolts (completely???) and lift the gearbox off the dovetail.  

Is that all there is to it?

Then, repeat the same process in reverse, being careful to not bang the worm onto the worm wheel. 

John

John O'Grady

I heard back from George.
I missed the instructions that are applicable for the new gearbox.
They are located on page 9 - problem solved.

Sorry everyone for not taking greater care in RTM.

Thanks - John