More unguided images with the Mach2 and APCC Pro #APCC #Mach2GTO

Dean Jacobsen

Hi All,

I have myself back into the unguided imaging grove with the Mach2.  Unless I mis-configure my Sequence Generator Pro/PlateSolve2 profile again.  ;-)

I couldn't be happier with the Mach2 and the software package.  I have been using AP mounts for a long time and this mount/software package is the best by far.

I set up the mount and break it down for each session so, instead of doing an all sky APPM point map run I have just been doing a 3 line point map that covers the declination of the object for the night.  For instance, if the object is at +20 declination I will set up APPM to map 10 points along each of +25, +20, and +15 declination.  This turns out to be about 33 or 34 points taking into account the double mapping of points within the west side meridian limits I have set up.  It takes about 20 to 30 minutes depending on how PlateSolve2 feels that night.

I suspect that I am taking more points than I need to but I want to make sure that the night is not wasted so I err on the side of caution.

Here are a couple of links to unguided images from the last two sessions:

https://www.astrobin.com/a5vp4q/

and

https://www.astrobin.com/h3kenj/

The good folks at AP have really done a nice job with the Mach2.

--
Dean Jacobsen
http://astrophoto.net/wp/

Stuart <stuart.j.heggie@...>

Dean, both are very nice shots but "The Coathanger" aka Brocchi's Cluster is my favourite.

On Tue, 21 Jul 2020 at 15:52, Dean Jacobsen <deanjacobsen@...> wrote:
[...]

http://www.astrofoto.ca/stuartheggie/

Roland Christen

That combination of scope and mount is doing an amazing job.

[...]

lmbrabec@...

Really impressive Dean!  All the best, Scott

Dean Jacobsen

Thanks for taking a look gentlemen.
--
Dean Jacobsen
http://astrophoto.net/wp/

Dominique Durand

Excellent Dean,my modeling with the C11 on 90 points worked very well for NGC6384 on 2 nights, then 2 days ago on M10 it was not working at all. So tonight I will certainly test your method by modeling only the part of the sky corresponding to the displacement of M10.

Dominique

Dean Jacobsen

Well, its not really my method Dominique.  :-)

I had been reading Roland's posts about the new keypad features and how the new tracking rate correction feature is used by modeling stars on a single declination line on the path that the imaging subject will be taking.  So I thought, why not do the same with APPM?  Apparently others using APCC Pro have been doing this for a while.

I only do this because I set up and break down my mount for each use.  If I had a permanently mounted rig, then I think that I would do an all sky model and use that.
--
Dean Jacobsen
http://astrophoto.net/wp/

Dominique Durand

On Wed, Jul 22, 2020 at 10:30 PM, Dean Jacobsen wrote:
Well, its not really my method Dominique.  :-)

I had been reading Roland's posts about the new keypad features and how the new tracking rate correction feature is used by modeling stars on a single declination line on the path that the imaging subject will be taking.  So I thought, why not do the same with APPM?  Apparently others using APCC Pro have been doing this for a while.

I only do this because I set up and break down my mount for each use.  If I had a permanently mounted rig, then I think that I would do an all sky model and use that.
--
Dean Jacobsen
Of course.
I did not understand why the model which worked with my C11 on NGC6384 and exposures of 180s no longer worked for exposures of 60s on M10. I wanted to do M10 tonight and with its positioning and short nights I didn't have time to do a full model again, so this procedure helped me out a lot.
Dominique

Dean Jacobsen

Here is the last image for the month.

Unguided again with 180 sec. exposures.

Pointing into the Milky Way again.  This time it is Messier 39.  Apparently M39 is one of the closer open cluster to us (I have seen distance estimates ranging from 800 to 1000 LY).  I was reading that there are only about 30 known members.

https://www.astrobin.com/full/17l9p0/0/
--
Dean Jacobsen
http://astrophoto.net/wp/

lmbrabec@...

Really nice Dean!  Love your posts!  Scott

philippe oros

very nice images ! you should try to replace PlateSolve2 by ASTAP in SGP, its much much faster !

John

Aloha Dean,

  Very nice star colors.  That's one of the things I'm looking to get better at one day!

  I tried shooting RGB with the mono asi1600, but the stars (imaged thru each filter) always seemed to have different sizes which caused some funky halos.  I'll try RGB again
later on with the Mach 2 and see if that helps.

Dean Jacobsen

Edited

Thanks for taking a look John.

I have been recently using a color camera... my first color camera in over twenty years of imaging.  I have been able to preserve star colors with the color camera as well.  I am learning that with color cameras and with the mono cameras that one of the things you have to be careful about is not overexposing the field stars, which will turn them white no matter what you do in post processing.

Here are some links to the color camera shots:

Messier  31 - https://www.astrobin.com/vh9rug/C/?nc=user

NGC 129 wide field - https://www.astrobin.com/qzh68l/B/?nc=user

Open cluster NGC 133, et al - https://www.astrobin.com/ufwgxg/C/?nc=user

The Double Cluster - https://www.astrobin.com/85ssq8/?nc=user

IC 1805 wide field - https://www.astrobin.com/8o9lzb/D/?nc=user
--
Dean Jacobsen
http://astrophoto.net/wp/

Don Anderson

Nice work Dean. I love wide field shots. Faithfully reproduced star color is a pleasure to see.
How do you feel the OSC camera images compare to those of Mono cameras with filters?
Don Anderson

On Tuesday, December 22, 2020, 04:59:53 p.m. MST, Dean Jacobsen <deanjacobsen@...> wrote:

Thanks for taking a look John.

I have been recently using a color camera... my first color camera in over twenty years of imaging.  I have been able to preserve star colors with the color camera as well.  I am learning that with color cameras and with the mono cameras that one of the things you have to be careful about is not overexposing the field stars, which will turn them whits no matter what you do in post processing.

On Tue, Dec 22, 2020 at 06:21 PM, Don Anderson wrote:
How do you feel the OSC camera images compare to those of Mono cameras with filters?
I like this particular camera Don.  I have been enjoying using it.  I'll still be using mono cameras for things like narrowband but I think that the color camera works great for star fields and brighter objects.

--
Dean Jacobsen
http://astrophoto.net/wp/
Amateur Radio Call Sign - W6DBJ

Don Anderson

Nice to see such good images being taken with CMOS cameras. They are getting better all the time. Now the mainstream guys not just the Chinese manufactures are starting to produce them. I am pretty much confined to narrowband being in a large light polluted (Bortle 8-9) city. My icx694 based mono camera works well with narrowband. Love the sensitivity of this Sony chip. Would like to get into something with a larger format possibly and imx455 based camera to get a wider field of view using my TV NP127is scope. However that would mean new FW and 2" filters plus the camera. Hard to justify right now. I wonder if Sony will come out with a mono APS C format CMOS sensor.

Don Anderson

On Tuesday, December 22, 2020, 09:16:45 p.m. MST, Dean Jacobsen <deanjacobsen@...> wrote:

On Tue, Dec 22, 2020 at 06:21 PM, Don Anderson wrote:
How do you feel the OSC camera images compare to those of Mono cameras with filters?
I like this particular camera Don.  I have been enjoying using it.  I'll still be using mono cameras for things like narrowband but I think that the color camera works great for star fields and brighter objects.

--
Dean Jacobsen
http://astrophoto.net/wp/
Amateur Radio Call Sign - W6DBJ

Dean Jacobsen

Yes, there is a mono version of the Sony IMX571 APS-C detector on the way.  I read on CN today that QHY is trying to get theirs out by mid January.  Both ZWO and QHY introduced a new 4/3” sensor mono camera with a Sony IMX492 sensor a couple of months ago.
--
Dean Jacobsen
http://astrophoto.net/wp/
Amateur Radio Call Sign - W6DBJ

Bill Long

That is slated to appear in mid Jan 2021.

[...]

The QHY version of that 4/3 chip has some firmware issue with it at the moment. I have a ticket open with QHY to hopefully aid in getting it resolved.

Yes, there is a mono version of the Sony IMX571 APS-C detector on the way.  I read on CN today that QHY is trying to get theirs out by mid January.  Both ZWO and QHY introduced a new 4/3” sensor mono camera with a Sony IMX492 sensor a couple of months ago.
--
Dean Jacobsen
http://astrophoto.net/wp/
Amateur Radio Call Sign - W6DBJ