Topics

More unguided images with the Mach2 and APCC Pro #APCC #Mach2GTO

Dean Jacobsen

Hi All,

I have myself back into the unguided imaging grove with the Mach2.  Unless I mis-configure my Sequence Generator Pro/PlateSolve2 profile again.  ;-)

I couldn't be happier with the Mach2 and the software package.  I have been using AP mounts for a long time and this mount/software package is the best by far.

I set up the mount and break it down for each session so, instead of doing an all sky APPM point map run I have just been doing a 3 line point map that covers the declination of the object for the night.  For instance, if the object is at +20 declination I will set up APPM to map 10 points along each of +25, +20, and +15 declination.  This turns out to be about 33 or 34 points taking into account the double mapping of points within the west side meridian limits I have set up.  It takes about 20 to 30 minutes depending on how PlateSolve2 feels that night.

I suspect that I am taking more points than I need to but I want to make sure that the night is not wasted so I err on the side of caution.

Here are a couple of links to unguided images from the last two sessions:

https://www.astrobin.com/a5vp4q/

and

https://www.astrobin.com/h3kenj/

The good folks at AP have really done a nice job with the Mach2.

--
Dean Jacobsen
http://astrophoto.net/wp/

Stuart <stuart.j.heggie@...>

Dean, both are very nice shots but "The Coathanger" aka Brocchi's Cluster is my favourite.

On Tue, 21 Jul 2020 at 15:52, Dean Jacobsen <deanjacobsen@...> wrote:
[...]

http://www.astrofoto.ca/stuartheggie/

uncarollo2 <chris1011@aol.com>

That combination of scope and mount is doing an amazing job.

[...]

lmbrabec@...

Really impressive Dean!  All the best, Scott

Dean Jacobsen

Thanks for taking a look gentlemen.
--
Dean Jacobsen
http://astrophoto.net/wp/

Dominique Durand

Excellent Dean,my modeling with the C11 on 90 points worked very well for NGC6384 on 2 nights, then 2 days ago on M10 it was not working at all. So tonight I will certainly test your method by modeling only the part of the sky corresponding to the displacement of M10.

Dominique

Dean Jacobsen

Well, its not really my method Dominique.  :-)

I had been reading Roland's posts about the new keypad features and how the new tracking rate correction feature is used by modeling stars on a single declination line on the path that the imaging subject will be taking.  So I thought, why not do the same with APPM?  Apparently others using APCC Pro have been doing this for a while.

I only do this because I set up and break down my mount for each use.  If I had a permanently mounted rig, then I think that I would do an all sky model and use that.
--
Dean Jacobsen
http://astrophoto.net/wp/

Dominique Durand

On Wed, Jul 22, 2020 at 10:30 PM, Dean Jacobsen wrote:
Well, its not really my method Dominique.  :-)

I had been reading Roland's posts about the new keypad features and how the new tracking rate correction feature is used by modeling stars on a single declination line on the path that the imaging subject will be taking.  So I thought, why not do the same with APPM?  Apparently others using APCC Pro have been doing this for a while.

I only do this because I set up and break down my mount for each use.  If I had a permanently mounted rig, then I think that I would do an all sky model and use that.
--
Dean Jacobsen
Of course.
I did not understand why the model which worked with my C11 on NGC6384 and exposures of 180s no longer worked for exposures of 60s on M10. I wanted to do M10 tonight and with its positioning and short nights I didn't have time to do a full model again, so this procedure helped me out a lot.
Dominique

Dean Jacobsen

Here is the last image for the month.

Unguided again with 180 sec. exposures.

Pointing into the Milky Way again.  This time it is Messier 39.  Apparently M39 is one of the closer open cluster to us (I have seen distance estimates ranging from 800 to 1000 LY).  I was reading that there are only about 30 known members.

https://www.astrobin.com/full/17l9p0/0/
--
Dean Jacobsen
http://astrophoto.net/wp/

lmbrabec@...

Really nice Dean!  Love your posts!  Scott

oros.philippe@...

very nice images ! you should try to replace PlateSolve2 by ASTAP in SGP, its much much faster !