From: KHursh via groups.io <khursh@...>
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Sent: Mon, Jun 14, 2021 9:42 pm
Subject: [ap-gto] Models #APCC

I have a pretty big model in APPM and I am semi-permanently mounted. I have the Mach2 on a Losmandy HD tripod on concrete blocks. My dirt/lawn is largely clay, so even though I am well polar aligned, it drifts often due to the soil shrinking when it gets dry. So my question is, while there have been no other changes to my set-up, the altitude of my PA does change, so is my model now useless? Thanks in advance.

Kevin

KHursh

That's funny. No. More than zero?

Ray Gralak

Hi Kevin,

I have a pretty big model in APPM and I am semi-permanently mounted. I have the Mach2 on a Losmandy HD
tripod on concrete blocks. My dirt/lawn is largely clay, so even though I am well polar aligned, it drifts often due to
the soil shrinking when it gets dry. So my question is, while there have been no other changes to my set-up, the
altitude of my PA does change, so is my model now useless? Thanks in advance.
I have the same type of soil. Small shifts in polar alignment will primarily affect all-sky pointing accuracy. You can recover all-sky pointing accuracy by refining your polar alignment, leaving everything else the same.

-Ray

I have a pretty big model in APPM and I am semi-permanently mounted. I have the Mach2 on a Losmandy HD
tripod on concrete blocks. My dirt/lawn is largely clay, so even though I am well polar aligned, it drifts often due to
the soil shrinking when it gets dry. So my question is, while there have been no other changes to my set-up, the
altitude of my PA does change, so is my model now useless? Thanks in advance.

Kevin

KHursh

Thanks Ray. I will give that a try

Worsel

It's time we stopped Continental drift...

Bryan