MGBox V2 mounting?

Jeffc

I recently picked up a MGBox V2 for use with APCC/APPM, and hopefully to automate setting the location using the MGBox GPS.

Considering the environmental data such as temp and humidity, should I mount the MGBox on the OTA (along with the pegasus powerbox and use that USB hub for the connectivity)?

Or is it ok to mount this anywhere around the mount, e.g. on the tripod?
And presumably away from anything that will change the temperature like a computer fan.
If down below, I would use one of the USB ports on the computer.

thx

-jeff

Worsel

Jeff

I was not sure what the GPS would do as far as acquiring signals as the mount slews, so I have my MGBoxV2 mounted at the top of the observatory walls, i.e. immobile.  The PC is also not on the OTA, so the SUB connection is easy.  If you have a PC (NUC, mini-PC, ASAIR) on the OTA, then your situation is different.

Bryan

Jeffc

> I have my MGBoxV2 mounted at the top of the observatory walls,

That makes sense.

I'm just wondering if there is significant temperature and humidity change at localized heights.
I sorta feel like humidity varies even within just a few feet of the ground.
Also, I'm not even sure how much humidity affects the pointing model.

In an observatory I suspect the environment is a bit more consistent.

I'm out in the open.   The computer is mounted on the pier... tho there's a USB hub on the OTA.
Right now I have MGBoxV2 on the OTA which is kinda convenient to keep it out of the way.

image.png