MGBox V2, GPS tab in APCC Pro can't get working

nx6a <danrprice@...>

Hoping someone has had experience with the MGBox V2 and APCC Pro.  I've installed the drivers and utility.  Running MGBox V2.3.0 displays all data correctly, including GPS Lat, Long, and elevation.  So far, so good.  In APCC if I go to Settings, Environmental Settings with Source - ASCOM ObservingConditions and Select Driver - ASCOM.MGBOX_Server.ObservingConditions and select Test all of the values displayed agree with the MGBox V2.3.0 display.  Again, so far, so good.

Now for the part that I'm having trouble with.  In APCC if I now go to GPS I see COM Port set to MGBox V2, Baud set to 4800.  If I select Connect I get the error "Cannot create ActiveX component".  I've tried many variations and all have failed.  Is there someone out there with MGBox V2 that the GPS tab in APCC Pro is working for that can tell me where I've gone wrong?  Thanks!

Keith Olsen

I have MGBox V2 and APPCC Pro which connects and works fine.  The settings in the APCC Environment Settings and in the GPS tab are exactly as you have them.  The only difference that I can see is my MGBox software is v2.2.2.   On the Windows side I'm running Windows 10 Home build 19043.1466

nx6a <danrprice@...>

Thank you, Keith!  I'm running Windows 10 Pro 19044.1466.  It seems unlikely that either the OS or the MGBox software would make that much difference.  I'm having the exact same problem on my laptop which is running Windows 11 Pro.  I'm at a loss on this.  Guess I can keep entering the GPS coordinates manually and hope something changes in a future update.  There's something odd going on with the ActiveX driver but I have no idea what it is...

When i've seen this type of activeX error in the past, there was something about starting up the app (not apcc, but the companion app) as administrator one time so the activeX widget could be registered. you might try that here?

--
Brian

Brian Valente

nx6a <danrprice@...>

Thank you, Brian!  Sorry, it didn't work.  Tried running as administrator.  Also tried running both programs as admin.  Restarted both programs as well.  I know Activex is working to some extent since it is used to create the Virtual Ports, which are working just fine now.

Ray Gralak

> and Select Driver - ASCOM.MGBOX_Server.ObservingConditions a

You may have something misconfigured in the MGBox software because that is not the expected name for the MGBox Observing conditions driver. It should be "ASCOM.MGBox.ObservingConditions". You may have to email the MGBoxV2 vendor for the answer.

APCC’s GPS connection has been using  "ASCOM.MGBox.ObservingConditions" for a long time.

-Ray

legendtrail@...

Windows should have given you a notification - you can check your list and see if something is there.  Normally, where you have not set up
specific permission to do so, Windows will prevent any program from running an active x component. You can go to windows security, virus and
threat protection, and turn off real time protection. Then see if you can connect. If that works, you'll need to go into "manage settings"  and set
permissions for APCC. Windows will turn protection back on automatically.

nx6a <danrprice@...>

Ray and legendtrail,

   Thank you for both of your suggestions and observations.  Turning off real time protection had no effect, and I tried to find the driver indicated without success.  Even considered going back to previous software and firmware versions, but Astromi.ch will only allow me to download the latest and greatest.  I've created an account with Astromi.ch and explained the problem to them.  Will let you know if they have a solution.

Clear Skies,
Dan

nx6a <danrprice@...>

Just now received an answer from Astromi.ch:

Dear Dan

Thank you for your message and sorry to hear about the problem.
Unfortunately I do not use / know APCC so you will have to get in touch with the author of that application.

Best regards
Martin

nx6a <danrprice@...>

I contacted Martin and he was kind enough to send me the older application (2.2.2) and MGBox_ASCOM driver (1.6).  With these installed the error went away!  Yea!  I then reinstalled the new application (2.3.0) and MGBox_ASCOM_Server (6.5.1.0) and the error returned.  I then kept the new application (2.3.0) and reinstalled the MGBox_ASCOM driver (1.6) and the error again went away.  I'll be sticking with application (2.3.0) and MGBox_ASCOM driver (1.6) for now.  Also, with MGBox_ASCOM driver (1.6) ASCOM.MGBox.ObservingConditions appeared as one of the selectable drivers, just as Ray observed it should.  Martin said there was no need to roll back the firmware to 1.0 from 1.1 since the bug fix in 1.1 only contains a bug fix which has no influence on the ASCOM-Driver or the windows application.

Another note - in order to install the ASTROMI.CH software I had to disable Auto-Protect in Norton 360 during the installation.  Norton and Microsoft griped during the entire installation process.  Once installed, I enabled Norton 360 Auto-Protect without issues.

Clear Skies,
Dan

nx6a <danrprice@...>

Here is Martin's response to the solution:

Hi Dan

Thanks for that interesting feedback. I can't think of anything that would make the new ASCOM-Driver behave like that. It's not using ActiveX, so this must be something that is coming from APCC.
Maybe it's the fact that the driver has a different name that is causing this issue....

Anyways, happy to hear that it works as expected.

Best regards
Martin

Any chance APCC can take a look at that possible driver name change issue?  Here's hoping!

Clear Skies,
Dan

Ray Gralak

It's not using ActiveX, so this must be something that is coming from APCC.
That's incorrect. It has nothing to do with APCC. All native ASCOM drivers use ActiveX under the hood. It is the Microsoft technology for COM interop (the "COM" in "ASCOM" :-) ).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ActiveX

-Ray

[...]

It's probably because the installer is not "signed" and thus untrusted. The author should go through the procedure to get an Authenticode Code Signing Certificate and code-sign the installer and the applications it installs. Once the installers are code-signed, they will be at a much higher trust level, and any attempt to modify them can be detected.

BTW, the AP V2 ASCOM driver and APCC installers and all of the applications installed by them are code-signed.

-Ray

[...]

The real problem was probably the MGBoxV2 ASCOM driver's name. For GPS, APCC expects the driver name to be "ASCOM.MGBox.ObservingConditions".

-Ray