From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> On Behalf Of Keith Olsen
Sent: Wednesday, July 28, 2021 1:50 PM
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] Mgbox placement?

Great question, I would like to know also.

Worsel

Tom

Mine is mounted just below the top of the wall on a roll-off observatory.  It is sampling open air for T and RH almost as soon as the roof is open.  No hindrance from the walls for satellite acquisition.   It has its own USB cable to the observatory PC.

It is about 2 meters from the mount, which is inconsequential distance.

Bryan

Joe Zeglinski

Hi,

    If used around an observatory, I think it should be mounted closer to the ground, or at most half way up, and as far away as possible from where you might be standing, or your work table & computer.   Otherwise, the unit might pick up the observer and/or guest’s body heat and breathe.

    If too high up, close to the top of the wall, it might be influenced by Venturi Cooling from even the slightest winds curling down over the edge.

        I suppose it depends on what environment you are interested in monitoring.
Maybe it should be mounted as far away as possible from indoor activity – perhaps outside the observatory, halfway up the wall, and shielded from direct wind gusts, using an open “container”.

    I don’t have a Migbox, but do use a couple of (remote) T & %RH data logger sensors –  One, permanently exposed outdoors, is kept  inside an opened  zip-lock bag for  shielding from winds,  on a bush branch about 10 feet from the scope, where I won’t come near it. Another is  fastened to the mount’s  tripod, on the leg away from where I might  possibly be standing for a moment (rarely actually). Its readings are only for comparing to the other unit’s true ambient outdoor conditions at some distance, against my “UNDEWER” T & %RH operation, keeping the scope dry, while  under a tarp.

    I feel, for greater accuracy,  the sensor in an opened  zip-lock pouch, somewhat distanced away from the observing spot,  is a more reliable measurement, than one actually inside an observatory shared  with people and powered equipment.

Joe Z.

Kent Kirkley

Pardon my ignorance.
What is a "MgBox" or "MigBox"?
What is its purpose?
Kent Kirkley

[...]

On Wed, Jul 28, 2021 at 8:49 PM Kent Kirkley via groups.io <kgkirkley=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Pardon my ignorance.
What is a "MgBox" or "MigBox"?
What is its purpose?
Kent Kirkley

--
Brian

Brian Valente

Jeffc

Fwiw….  I initially put it on the OTA, and it didn’t work… the GPS was cutting out.   So I put it on a 2 foot tall storage box adjacent to the mount with a clear view of sky.

On Jul 28, 2021, at 1:07 PM, Tom Blahovici <tom.va2fsq@...> wrote:

Hi,
Where is the best location for an mgbox when used with an AP mount? On the scope? What if you are in an observatory? Won't the temperature and humidity be different?
Thanks, Tom

Worsel

Joe

Valid points.  I should have stated that I control everything remotely; so the only time I am in the observatory is when I am not imaging, e.g. visual.

Bryan

jimwc@...

all

I am a member of the Citizen Weather Observer Program (CWOP) they have a weather station Siting, Performance, and Data Quality Guide. I have attached a few pages relating to siting that may be of interest to every one with a weather sensor and wondering how to optimality site it up.

I'll be using my Davis "vantage Pro2"

Jim