Meade 16" f10 on 1100GTO?


Eric Claeys
 

Will my 1100GTO with encoders handle a Meade 16" f10 scope (67 pounds but unknown length)?

Anything special I need to do for such a large scope?

Eric


Worsel
 

One suggestion: Don't scrimp on counterweights and put them all high up on the shaft, i.e. close to the mount.

Bryan


Jeff B
 

Honestly, I'd say that OTA is pushing it a bit.  It's about 3' long and it's center of mass sits out there quite a bit from the saddle due to its diameter.  I'm sure it can "handle" it, but how well ?, a good question.  It might be a tad bouncy both to touch and the wind but, like Bryan said, don't overhang the CW's even if it means adding another one and I'd suggest slowing the slew rates down to 600x.

Jeff

On Sat, Jan 16, 2021 at 7:00 PM Worsel via groups.io <bryancashion=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
One suggestion: Don't scrimp on counterweights and put them all high up on the shaft, i.e. close to the mount.

Bryan


acf900gto@...
 

Eric:

I have a Meade 12" f/8 OTA on my AP1100GTO.  It is a great combination.  However, that OTA only weighs about 50 pounds.  Several years ago, I owned a Meade 14" f/10 OTA and it weighed about 65 pounds.  I would guess the 16" f/10 OTA would be pushing 100 pounds.  Maybe not too much for visual work but I have doubts about that config for imaging.  For some size perspective, here is a pix of the 12" f/8 on the AP1100GTO.


Christopher Erickson
 

The Meade LX200 16" OTA is 65 Lbs dry. 75 with dovetail bars, etc. I have one.

It will work on an 1100GTO. I have one of those too.

But it will work a LOT better on a 1600GTO.

"My advice is always free and worth every penny!"

-Christopher Erickson
Observatory Engineer
Summit Kinetics
Waikoloa, Hawaii


Virus-free. www.avg.com


On Sun, Jan 17, 2021 at 6:12 AM <acf900gto@...> wrote:
Eric:

I have a Meade 12" f/8 OTA on my AP1100GTO.  It is a great combination.  However, that OTA only weighs about 50 pounds.  Several years ago, I owned a Meade 14" f/10 OTA and it weighed about 65 pounds.  I would guess the 16" f/10 OTA would be pushing 100 pounds.  Maybe not too much for visual work but I have doubts about that config for imaging.  For some size perspective, here is a pix of the 12" f/8 on the AP1100GTO.


Mike <wildwood7711@...>
 

I have my 14" SCT on a AP1200GTO. It is rock solid.

On Sunday, January 17, 2021, 10:59:40 AM MST, Christopher Erickson <christopher.k.erickson@...> wrote:


The Meade LX200 16" OTA is 65 Lbs dry. 75 with dovetail bars, etc. I have one.

It will work on an 1100GTO. I have one of those too.

But it will work a LOT better on a 1600GTO.

"My advice is always free and worth every penny!"

-Christopher Erickson
Observatory Engineer
Summit Kinetics
Waikoloa, Hawaii


Virus-free. www.avg.com

On Sun, Jan 17, 2021 at 6:12 AM <acf900gto@...> wrote:
Eric:

I have a Meade 12" f/8 OTA on my AP1100GTO.  It is a great combination.  However, that OTA only weighs about 50 pounds.  Several years ago, I owned a Meade 14" f/10 OTA and it weighed about 65 pounds.  I would guess the 16" f/10 OTA would be pushing 100 pounds.  Maybe not too much for visual work but I have doubts about that config for imaging.  For some size perspective, here is a pix of the 12" f/8 on the AP1100GTO.