From: Bill Long <bill@...>
To: AP-GTO Groups. io <ap-gto@groups.io>
Sent: Fri, Apr 23, 2021 7:07 pm
Subject: [ap-gto] Mach 2 + 12.5" AGO iDK?

What say ye?

46lbs, but would need to add focuser (8lbs), TCS System (1lb), and camera/accessories (call these 5 lbs). The OTA is about 18" tall (maybe 17.5" but lets call it 18") so this puts me at 18" and 60 lbs.  This puts me right on the yellow on the Mach 2 graph AP has. Length of everything, in focus with camera gear on would be about 45".

Seems right at the limits, but likely safe. Any ideas on this from AP or others?

-Bill

Wayne Hixson

Bill,

I had that combo along with a FLI4040 and big FLI filter wheel with MMOAG and it was fine.

On Apr 23, 2021, at 5:44 PM, Roland Christen via groups.io <chris1011@...> wrote:

Well, I've never tried that scope, but I have loaded my Mach2 to the limit and imaged/guided just fine. Balance is critical and is easy to do.

Weight makes for larger moment, which makes the mount slower to respond to external disturbance, like wind. If your scope is open tube with no shroud, wind will not be a problem.

I will be loading my Mach2 with a 12" F8 carbon fiber Maksutov astrograph in the next couple days. Weight is about the same as your system. I expect that it will handle it fine and will post some guiding results. Will be getting ready for galaxy season.

46lbs, but would need to add focuser (8lbs), TCS System (1lb), and camera/accessories (call these 5 lbs). The OTA is about 18" tall (maybe 17.5" but lets call it 18") so this puts me at 18" and 60 lbs.  This puts me right on the yellow on the Mach 2 graph AP has. Length of everything, in focus with camera gear on would be about 45".

Seems right at the limits, but likely safe. Any ideas on this from AP or others?

-Bill

Bill Long

Yeah balancing the Mach 2 has been a breeze. I will get the 12.5 ready and test it out and see how it does. It is a truss design, I can leave the shroud off if you think that will help out.

[...]

michael mccann

Hi Rolando

Who makes a 12” fiber Maksutov.  I don’t see many over 8” listed.

Cheers

On Apr 23, 2021, at 6:44 PM, Roland Christen via groups.io <chris1011@...> wrote:

[...]

He made it I would imagine... :)

46lbs, but would need to add focuser (8lbs), TCS System (1lb), and camera/accessories (call these 5 lbs). The OTA is about 18" tall (maybe 17.5" but lets call it 18") so this puts me at 18" and 60 lbs.  This puts me right on the yellow on the Mach 2 graph AP has. Length of everything, in focus with camera gear on would be about 45".

Seems right at the limits, but likely safe. Any ideas on this from AP or others?

-Bill

michael mccann

👍

On Apr 23, 2021, at 9:31 PM, Bill Long <bill@...> wrote:

He made it I would imagine... :)

46lbs, but would need to add focuser (8lbs), TCS System (1lb), and camera/accessories (call these 5 lbs). The OTA is about 18" tall (maybe 17.5" but lets call it 18") so this puts me at 18" and 60 lbs.  This puts me right on the yellow on the Mach 2 graph AP has. Length of everything, in focus with camera gear on would be about 45".

Seems right at the limits, but likely safe. Any ideas on this from AP or others?

-Bill

We made two of them. One is in Chile at our remote observatory. The other is here in our AP observatory.