Topics

Mach 1 Grease

Joe Brooks

After six years of moderate use, I re-greased the mount gears. The photos show the original grease on the the worm and ring gears.

thefamily90 Phillips

What did you use to clean off the old grease?

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> on behalf of Joe Brooks <jrb258@...>
Sent: Saturday, May 9, 2020 12:44:53 PM
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io>
Subject: [ap-gto] Mach 1 Grease

After six years of moderate use, I re-greased the mount gears. The photos show the original grease on the the worm and ring gears.

uncarollo2 <chris1011@aol.com>

You can use mineral spirits.

Roland

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Mon, May 11, 2020 9:05 am
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] Mach 1 Grease

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> on behalf of Joe Brooks <jrb258@...>

George

Clean off the old grease using a toothbrush and soft cloth.   Mineral spirits can be used for a thorough cleaning, but you must then clean off the mineral spirits residue with denatured alcohol so that it doesn’t break down the new grease.  

Regards,

George

George Whitney

Astro-Physics, Inc.

Phone:  815-282-1513

Email:  george@...

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io [mailto:main@ap-gto.groups.io] On Behalf Of thefamily90 Phillips
Sent: Monday, May 11, 2020 9:06 AM
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io

Cheng-Yang Tan

Hi George,
   How many hours of use do you recommend between regreasing? I do log the hours that my mounts operate, so a time interval would be useful. Or how can I tell whether the mount needs to be regreased?

Thanks!

cytan

On Monday, May 11, 2020, 10:11:58 AM CDT, George <george@...> wrote:

Clean off the old grease using a toothbrush and soft cloth.   Mineral spirits can be used for a thorough cleaning, but you must then clean off the mineral spirits residue with denatured alcohol so that it doesn’t break down the new grease.  

Regards,

George

George Whitney

Astro-Physics, Inc.

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io [mailto:main@ap-gto.groups.io] On Behalf Of thefamily90 Phillips

Ken Browne

Is there a documented procedure for the re-greasing the mount gears?

Michael Hambrick

I would highly recommend not using any kind of solvent to clean off the old grease. It is virtually impossible to get rid of all of the residual solvent short of baking the gears in an oven (think desiccant recharging in your CCD cameras). Even a tiny amount of residual solvent will cause the grease to thin out.

Best Regards

Michael Hambrick
ARLANXEO
TSR Global Manufacturing Support
PO Box 2000
Orange, TX 77631-2000
Phone: +1 (409) 882-2799
email: mike.hambrick@...

George

Cytan,

Roland may have a better recommendation, but the environment also plays a big part…hot and dusty is bad.    Every year or two in normal conditions would be a healthy approach.   Death Valley observatories may want to consider every six months.   <G>

Regards,

George

George Whitney

Astro-Physics, Inc.

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io [mailto:main@ap-gto.groups.io] On Behalf Of Cheng-Yang Tan via groups.io
Sent: Monday, May 11, 2020 10:21 AM

Hi George,

How many hours of use do you recommend between regreasing? I do log the hours that my mounts operate, so a time interval would be useful. Or how can I tell whether the mount needs to be regreased?

Thanks!

cytan

Regards,

George

George Whitney

Astro-Physics, Inc.

Cheng-Yang Tan

Hi George,

Wow, I didn't realize that it is an annual to biennial affair! If you can post a link to instructions, I should start working on it.

cytan

On Monday, May 11, 2020, 10:59:00 AM CDT, George <george@...> wrote:

Cytan,

Roland may have a better recommendation, but the environment also plays a big part…hot and dusty is bad.    Every year or two in normal conditions would be a healthy approach.   Death Valley observatories may want to consider every six months.   <G>

Regards,

George

George Whitney

Astro-Physics, Inc.

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io [mailto:main@ap-gto.groups.io] On Behalf Of Cheng-Yang Tan via groups.io

Hi George,

Thanks!

cytan

Regards,

George

George Whitney

Astro-Physics, Inc.

Michael Hambrick

It would be interesting to know how often Chris Erickson regreases the A-P mounts at the Mauna Kea Visitor Center. We visited there last year and all of the mounts had a pretty good coating of red lava dust which is pretty abrasive.

Best Regards

Michael Hambrick
ARLANXEO
PO Box 2000
Orange, TX 77631-2000

thefamily90 Phillips

What grease do you recommend to re-grease the gears with?

Jim

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> on behalf of Michael Hambrick via groups.io <mike.hambrick@...>
Sent: Monday, May 11, 2020 12:28:54 PM

It would be interesting to know how often Chris Erickson regreases the A-P mounts at the Mauna Kea Visitor Center. We visited there last year and all of the mounts had a pretty good coating of red lava dust which is pretty abrasive.

Best Regards

Michael Hambrick
ARLANXEO
PO Box 2000
Orange, TX 77631-2000

George

Cytan,

I sent the instructions to you.

Regards,

George

George Whitney

Astro-Physics, Inc.

Sent: Monday, May 11, 2020 11:16 AM

Hi George,

Wow, I didn't realize that it is an annual to biennial affair! If you can post a link to instructions, I should start working on it.

cytan

Cytan,

Regards,

George

George Whitney

Astro-Physics, Inc.

Hi George,

Thanks!

cytan

Regards,

George

George Whitney

Astro-Physics, Inc.

Mike Dodd

On 5/11/2020 12:36 PM, thefamily90 Phillips wrote:
What grease do you recommend to re-grease the gears with?
Call A-P and order the grease kit. It comes with two different greases, a brush, and complete instructions.

--- Mike

Cheng-Yang Tan

Thanks! Got it.

cytan

On Monday, May 11, 2020, 11:39:30 AM CDT, George <george@...> wrote:

Cytan,

I sent the instructions to you.

Regards,

George

George Whitney

Astro-Physics, Inc.

Sent: Monday, May 11, 2020 11:16 AM

Hi George,

cytan

Cytan,

Regards,

George

George Whitney

Astro-Physics, Inc.

Hi George,

Thanks!

cytan

Regards,

George

George Whitney

Astro-Physics, Inc.

DiscoDuck

After about 15 months or so my mount seemed to need a regrease - presumably bits of dirt in the gears/worm causing a jump in guiding (3" or so) at the mount period (383 seconds) in some sessions. I ordered the grease kit off AP and George sent me instructions, but yet to get the courage to do it!!

I am in Australia, and a number of trips into the "outback" have no doubt been the problem. Very hot and a very fine red dust which just coats everything.

Cheng-Yang Tan

I concur.

I read the instructions and being a klutz, I'm actually a little leery about doing the regrease. Can some one make a video? It'll help a lot.

cytan

On Monday, May 11, 2020, 06:00:24 PM CDT, DiscoDuck <montagoo@...> wrote:

After about 15 months or so my mount seemed to need a regrease - presumably bits of dirt in the gears/worm causing a jump in guiding (3" or so) at the mount period (383 seconds) in some sessions. I ordered the grease kit off AP and George sent me instructions, but yet to get the courage to do it!!

I am in Australia, and a number of trips into the "outback" have no doubt been the problem. Very hot and a very fine red dust which just coats everything.

sydney77@...

This is the only video I found:
https://youtu.be/R7s2kTzFNF4

However, I followed the written instructions from George/AP rather than the video.  It is easy to do, but best to work slowly and to be thorough.

DiscoDuck

I'd love to see a video of someone removing the Mach1 gearbox (newest model).

Seb@stro

Just sell me one and I'll happily volonteer to make an entire step by step video on it ! :D

(I'm actually not kidding... These Mach1 are so rare and hard to get in Canada. If anyone interested to sell, please PM me.)

CS!

Sébastien

Fernando Proietti

I would love too!!! For sure. Regards, Fernando

Em seg., 11 de mai. de 2020 às 23:53, DiscoDuck <montagoo@...> escreveu:

I'd love to see a video of someone removing the Mach1 gearbox (newest model).