Mach 1 Counterweight Hole

Bryan R.

Hello all.  Just joined, 1st post.  So I just purchased a second hand Mach 1.  It was well loved, and that's a good thing btw, but I am trying to disassemble the mount 8n a feasible manner so I can get all the dirt, grime, etc out of it.  I just ordered a grease kit, so I will be going through that evolution as well.  My question is on potential removal of the piece which accepts the CW shaft.  It appears as though it should be removable, but I can't seem to get it to budge.  Is it indeed removable, and if so is there a retention screw somewhere that is locking it in place?  I didn't souse down on it too much for fear of damaging something, but it is not moving.  Any guidance would be appreciated very much.

Bryan

George

Bryan,

You can insert a Phillips screwdriver in the Tommy bar hole and use it for leverage to loosen the shaft adapter (there are no lock screws).   However, my question is why are you removing it?   Nothing inside needs cleaned.     Use a soft cloth and Windex to clean the surface of the mount.

Regards,

George

George Whitney

Astro-Physics, Inc.

Phone:  815-222-6538 (direct line)

Phone:  815-282-1513 (office)

Email:  george@...

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> On Behalf Of Bryan R.
Sent: Thursday, April 8, 2021 7:20 AM
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Subject: [ap-gto] Mach 1 Counterweight Hole

Hello all.  Just joined, 1st post.  So I just purchased a second hand Mach 1.  It was well loved, and that's a good thing btw, but I am trying to disassemble the mount 8n a feasible manner so I can get all the dirt, grime, etc out of it.  I just ordered a grease kit, so I will be going through that evolution as well.  My question is on potential removal of the piece which accepts the CW shaft.  It appears as though it should be removable, but I can't seem to get it to budge.  Is it indeed removable, and if so is there a retention screw somewhere that is locking it in place?  I didn't souse down on it too much for fear of damaging something, but it is not moving.  Any guidance would be appreciated very much.

Bryan

Bryan R.

Haha 😁.... So when I said well loved, I believe that this guy sat outside mostly.  There was bug carcasses, dirt and grime etc, inside the cable routing holes, between the mating of the RA and Dec axis where that septate, under the dovetail, etc.  When I look down the hollow areas of the mount, still see stuff down there.  I guess I just want to get all this gunk out and cleaned up as best as feasible.  Thanks very much.

Bryan

Roland Christen

Stick a large Philips head screwdriver in one of the side holes, and whack it with a hammer, counterclockwise.

Rolando

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thu, Apr 8, 2021 7:20 am

Bryan

--
Roland Christen
Astro-Physics

Jeff B

Love it!

On Thu, Apr 8, 2021 at 9:26 PM Roland Christen via groups.io <chris1011=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Stick a large Philips head screwdriver in one of the side holes, and whack it with a hammer, counterclockwise.

Rolando

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thu, Apr 8, 2021 7:20 am

Bryan

--
Roland Christen
Astro-Physics