Topics

locked Mach2GTO Update GTOCP5 – Version P02-07 #Mach2GTO

offrapel@...

Marj & AP folks,

Thanks for the software update. It updated fine, now running P02-07.

Noticed a small thing during the update. After finishing the part 1 update, and then selecting the part 2 file, and hit Program. The sequence repeats through to Resumed Operation but the progress bar stayed down around 5% (roughly). I wasn't positive it was done, so left it for a while. Reconnected to the IP address in another tab, and it showed the new version software.

After it was all done, brought up Stellarium and ran it all over the sky - working great!

Thank you,

Dave

Dean Jacobsen

Can the upgrade be done by just powering up the CP5 controller box - power the 12 volt connection and connected to the computer via ethernet port -  without actually having the mount present?
--
Dean Jacobsen
http://astrophoto.net/wp/
Image Gallery - http://astrophoto.net/wp/image-gallery/
Astrobin Image Gallery - https://www.astrobin.com/users/deanjacobsen/ 
Amateur Radio Call Sign - W6DBJ

Konstantin von Poschinger

Yes!

Konstantin v. Poschinger

Hammerichstr. 5
22605 Hamburg
040/8805747
0171 1983476

Am 23.11.2020 um 16:55 schrieb Dean Jacobsen <deanjacobsen@...>:

Can the upgrade be done by just powering up the CP5 controller box - power the 12 volt connection and connected to the computer via ethernet port -  without actually having the mount present?
--
Dean Jacobsen

Roland Christen

Yes, absolutely. Just power and Ethernet is all that's required.

Roland

-----Original Message-----
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Sent: Mon, Nov 23, 2020 9:55 am
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] Mach2GTO Update GTOCP5 – Version P02-07 #Mach2GTO

--
Dean Jacobsen

--
Roland Christen
Astro-Physics

Andrea Lucchetti

Hi,
using the USB cable for flashing the firmware is still not possible, correct?

Thank you,
Andrea 

Roland Christen

USB is way too slow unfortunately, and also prone to errors. Even one error or missing byte will cause havoc.

Rolando

Sent: Mon, Nov 23, 2020 10:31 am

Hi,

Thank you,
Andrea 

--
Roland Christen
Astro-Physics

Actually, we are almost ready to release a Serial Utilities program as an alternative to Ethernet download. Roland may not have been aware that it was under development.  We will have more news soon.

Clear Skies,

Marj Christen

Astro-Physics, Inc

11250 Forest Hills Rd

Machesney Park, IL 61115

Phone: 815-282-1513

Fax: 815-282-9847

www.astro-physics.com

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io [mailto:main@ap-gto.groups.io] On Behalf Of Roland Christen via groups.io
Sent: Monday, November 23, 2020 10:59 AM

USB is way too slow unfortunately, and also prone to errors. Even one error or missing byte will cause havoc.

Rolando

Hi,

Thank you,
Andrea 

--
Roland Christen
Astro-Physics

Joel Short

Is P02-07 just for the CP5?
joel

Karen Christen

Hi Joel,

At the moment, yes.  We’re working hard to put the finishing touches on the CP4 version.  Hang in there.

Karen
AP

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> On Behalf Of Joel Short
Sent: Monday, November 23, 2020 11:55 AM

Is P02-07 just for the CP5?
joel

--
Karen Christen
Astro-Physics

Joel Short

No problem Karen, thanks for the update.
joel

David

Oh thank you!!  I haven’t had a PC laptop with an Ethernet port for years.  I always struggle trying to figure out how to do updates without a port to do so.

David

On Nov 23, 2020, at 11:16 AM, Marj Christen <marj@...> wrote:

Actually, we are almost ready to release a Serial Utilities program as an alternative to Ethernet download. Roland may not have been aware that it was under development.  We will have more news soon.

Clear Skies,

Marj Christen

Astro-Physics, Inc

11250 Forest Hills Rd

Machesney Park, IL 61115

Phone: 815-282-1513

Fax: 815-282-9847

www.astro-physics.com

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io [mailto:main@ap-gto.groups.io] On Behalf Of Roland Christen via groups.io
Sent: Monday, November 23, 2020 10:59 AM

Rolando

Hi,

Thank you,
Andrea 

--
Roland Christen
Astro-Physics

Harold

My six year old HP laptop is beginning to have some reliability problems, in researching a replacement I noticed most laptops do not include an Ethernet port. Should I restrict my purchases to only models with Ethernet or are there other ways to resolve the issue?

Pete Mumbower

I am assuming you have WIFI still working. If so, just plug the mount Ethernet port into any of the WiFi router's available Ethernet ports and then the mount and laptop should be on the same network.

Roland Christen

Ethernet is not required for full mount control. The mount will accept all commands from various external programs with just a USB connection.

Rolando

Sent: Tue, Nov 24, 2020 10:31 am

My six year old HP laptop is beginning to have some reliability problems, in researching a replacement I noticed most laptops do not include an Ethernet port. Should I restrict my purchases to only models with Ethernet or are there other ways to resolve the issue?

--
Roland Christen
Astro-Physics

Dale Ghent

On Nov 24, 2020, at 11:31 AM, Harold <hfm5022@gmail.com> wrote:

Lack of a built-in ethernet interface should not constrain your search for a new laptop. You can still connect to a CP4/CP5 wirelessly or over USB. If you wish to continue using hardwire ethernet on a laptop that lacks its own built-in interface, you can get a cheap and effective USB to ethernet adapter.

Example:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00YUU3KC6/

/dale

Bill Long

If they want to update the mount, they will either need serial ports on the machine (not likely) or ethernet. USB is not recommended for reasons I am sure you know as a developer. 

USB to ethernet adapters are not advised for the same reason USB connections themselves are not advised to update the mount as needed. So while your solutions here solve the usage short-term, the better advise to the user is to have more of a long term solution to the problem at hand.

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> on behalf of Dale Ghent <daleg@...>
Sent: Tuesday, November 24, 2020 9:02 AM
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io>

> On Nov 24, 2020, at 11:31 AM, Harold <hfm5022@...> wrote:
>
> My six year old HP laptop is beginning to have some reliability problems, in researching a replacement I noticed most laptops do not include an Ethernet port. Should I restrict my purchases to only models with Ethernet or are there other ways to resolve the issue?

Lack of a built-in ethernet interface should not constrain your search for a new laptop. You can still connect to a CP4/CP5 wirelessly or over USB. If you wish to continue using hardwire ethernet on a laptop that lacks its own built-in interface, you can get a cheap and effective USB to ethernet adapter.

Example:
https://eur06.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2Fdp%2FB00YUU3KC6%2F&amp;data=04%7C01%7C%7Ccfff6926cd5a4752ea2908d8909acea6%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C637418341847357446%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C1000&amp;sdata=bj9cv9FWavPqkask16gePExbH3E8%2BMUZMV5WQ2hrunQ%3D&amp;reserved=0

/dale

Roland Christen

We are working on a utility that will allow updating the mount via USB. Available shortly. Our software engineer demonstrated it last night.

Rolando

Sent: Tue, Nov 24, 2020 11:56 am

If they want to update the mount, they will either need serial ports on the machine (not likely) or ethernet. USB is not recommended for reasons I am sure you know as a developer. 

USB to ethernet adapters are not advised for the same reason USB connections themselves are not advised to update the mount as needed. So while your solutions here solve the usage short-term, the better advise to the user is to have more of a long term solution to the problem at hand.

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> on behalf of Dale Ghent <daleg@...>

>
> My six year old HP laptop is beginning to have some reliability problems, in researching a replacement I noticed most laptops do not include an Ethernet port. Should I restrict my purchases to only models with Ethernet or are there other ways to resolve the issue?

Example:
https://eur06.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2Fdp%2FB00YUU3KC6%2F&amp;data=04%7C01%7C%7Ccfff6926cd5a4752ea2908d8909acea6%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C637418341847357446%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C1000&amp;sdata=bj9cv9FWavPqkask16gePExbH3E8%2BMUZMV5WQ2hrunQ%3D&amp;reserved=0

/dale

--
Roland Christen
Astro-Physics

Bill Long

That would be great. Lots of error correction checking required. USB is flaky. 

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> on behalf of Roland Christen via groups.io <chris1011@...>
Sent: Tuesday, November 24, 2020 10:28 AM

We are working on a utility that will allow updating the mount via USB. Available shortly. Our software engineer demonstrated it last night.

Rolando

Sent: Tue, Nov 24, 2020 11:56 am

>

Example:

/dale

--
Roland Christen
Astro-Physics

Dale Ghent

I've had no problems with USB that can't be traced to a bad or poorly-designed cable. USB is fine so long as you know its limits.

On Nov 24, 2020, at 12:56 PM, Bill Long <bill@outlook.com> wrote:

USB to ethernet adapters are not advised for the same reason USB connections themselves are not advised to update the mount as needed. So while your solutions here solve the usage short-term, the better advise to the user is to have more of a long term solution to the problem at hand.

Bill Long

It takes one bus reset call from a connected device to cause problems. You know this. 

Sent: Tuesday, November 24, 2020 10:45 AM

I've had no problems with USB that can't be traced to a bad or poorly-designed cable. USB is fine so long as you know its limits.

> On Nov 24, 2020, at 12:56 PM, Bill Long <bill@...> wrote:
>
> If they want to update the mount, they will either need serial ports on the machine (not likely) or ethernet. USB is not recommended for reasons I am sure you know as a developer.
>
> USB to ethernet adapters are not advised for the same reason USB connections themselves are not advised to update the mount as needed. So while your solutions here solve the usage short-term, the better advise to the user is to have more of a long term solution to the problem at hand.