Mach2GTO - No Internal cable routing?


Clayton Yendrey
 

For some reason I just noticed that there is no mention of internal cable routing option for the Mach2 on the AP website.  Please clarify - does the Mach2 have this capability or not?

I'd be really disappointed if it did not, since even mounts a quarter of this price point have this feature now...  

 

Thanks in advance!


Roland Christen
 

There are two cables in the Mach2, one USB3 and one 12 volt power cable. If you want to run your own cables, then the Mach2 is not for you. The 1100 mount has huge hollow axes in which you can run any amount of cabling you wish.

Rolando



-----Original Message-----
From: Clayton Yendrey <cyendrey@...>
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Sent: Sun, May 9, 2021 10:58 am
Subject: [ap-gto] Mach2GTO - No Internal cable routing?

For some reason I just noticed that there is no mention of internal cable routing option for the Mach2 on the AP website.  Please clarify - does the Mach2 have this capability or not?
I'd be really disappointed if it did not, since even mounts a quarter of this price point have this feature now...  
 
Thanks in advance!

--
Roland Christen
Astro-Physics


KHursh
 

There is a single power connector and a single USB3 connector for through-the-mount cabling. My PC and power supply plug into the back of the RA axis, then I connect a PowerBox to the power and USB on the top of the DEC axis which distributes power and data to the rest of the rig.


mjb87@...
 

I run my own cables through my 1100.  I was worried about the more limited through the mount cabling ability of the Mach2. In the end, it has been a non-issue with the Mach2. With a Pegasus PB Advanced, I can handle all of my "above the mount" power and data needs while using the single 12v and USB3 through-mount capabilities. This includes main camera, guide camera, camera rotator, Flip-Flat, dew heaters, etc.  However, I run the mount itself with a dedicated power supply but since that is "below the mount" it doesn't require through-mount access.

Bottom line: you can live with the Mach2 capabilities quite easily these days given the advanced hubs available.  Of course, YMMV.


Clayton Yendrey
 
Edited

It sounds like the Mach2 has what I need - I have a Pegasus UPBv2 on the OTA that handles all the on OTA distribution.  I use / need the internal routing to get a USB3 'backbone' to the UPBv2.  The problem is/may be the fact that the UPBv2 uses a proprietary power plug from its power supply.  I"d have to look up the specs and also determine what/where the plug itself is available from or get another cable/power supply from Pegasus as a sacrificial parts source.  Do you know if anyone else is using a UPBv2 through a Mach2?  I believe the UPBv2 is rated/can distribure up to 20 amps total which is likely why the non standard power supply/plug assembly.


Dominique
 

I have AP Mach2 and Pegasus Powerbox V2 and as it was difficult for me to find an XT60 cable (Powerbox) to Anderson Powerpoles (Mach2) I bought XT60, Anderson power poles and cable and I made myself the cable which is fine.

Dominique


Marcelo Figueroa
 

I use these two cables (male and female), one for the power supply and one for the Pegasus Powerbox (Advance version).

Note that the connectors are not mounted the right way for the Mach2, but it is very easy to correct that.


https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07X3ZDLT8/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s01?ie=UTF8&th=1


Dale Ghent
 

I could consider crimping up a bunch of XT60 to PowerPole adapters and making them available to the group. 

On May 9, 2021, at 15:59, Dominique <d.h.durand@...> wrote:



I have AP Mach2 and Pegasus Powerbox V2 and as it was difficult for me to find an XT60 cable (Powerbox) to Anderson Powerpoles (Mach2) I bought XT60, Anderson power poles and cable and I made myself the cable which is fine.

Dominique


mjb87@...
 
Edited

I have concluded that being a serious amateur astronomer means learning how to crimp connectors.  So I've done Anderson powerpole connectors to accommodate the Mach2, Molex connectors for the ExploraDome and JST-PH connectors for the fan in my ZWO camera. It's not hard. Just takes some practice.

If you want to buy off-the-shelf you can often find what you need on Amazon. For example this (for the PPADV):

https://www.amazon.com/Valley-Enterprises-Straight-Anderson-Powerpole/dp/B07GHB6X64/


Dale Ghent
 

Yes however XT60 to PowerPole remains a bit of a unicorn out there in the land of ready-made PowerPole adapters. I don’t know why since both are popular, but that’s the case.

The last time I looked for a commercially-available XT60 adapter was a few months ago (for a friend in the same Pegasus UPBv2 predicament) and the only one I found was a seller on Amazon, with weeks of lead time and a not so great price. 

On May 9, 2021, at 16:55, mjb87 via groups.io <mjb87@...> wrote:

I have concluded that being a serious amateur astronomer means learning how to crimp connectors.  So I've down Anderson powerpole connectors to accommodate the Mach2, Molex connectors for the ExploraDome and JST-PH connectors for the fan in my ZWO camera. It's not hard. Just takes some practice.

If you want to buy off-the-shelf you can often find what you need on Amazon. For example this:

https://www.amazon.com/Valley-Enterprises-Straight-Anderson-Powerpole/dp/B07GHB6X64/


Clayton Yendrey
 
Edited

This is what I just ordered; as set of 3 each (male/female) XT60 pigtails.

Amazon.com: Upgrades XT60 Connectors 12awg 5.9inch Wire with Solder Point Cover (3 Female + 3 Male) 3D Printer Power Supply Extension: Electronics

All that is needed is to crimp the respective Anderson Powerpole connectors to them.


Jeffc
 

Yeah… When the UPBv2 arrived , I ordered a bag of XT60 parts from Amazon along with some Powerpole pigtails (or maybe they were extension cables).
Then I soldered up the XT60 to the existing crimped Powerpole wires.   I used heatshrink on the exposed XT60 solder connectors. 
With this approach I could choose the exact length of cable needed, and remove the excess cable mess.  Pic attached below. 

I’ve been crimping Powerpole for years.. and then decided to solder them.    Nowadays I look for pre-wired cables, and if I’m “adapting” I simply cut one end off and put on whatever connector I need.  Sometimes the pre-wired power poles aren’t configured the same but that can be fixed easily and without any tools.    I’ve just found crimping power poles to be time consuming..  however there is great satisfaction when the power pole “pin” snaps into the housing!

Fwiw, I’ve been recently picking parts like this on Amazon simply because of the fairly rapid delivery time.   Normally I’d go to the local Ham Radio Outlet store but it closed down about 1.5years ago and the nearest is a 2 hour round trip.  

Also.. I’ve found the “battery generator” charge extension cables can be repurposed for the Mach2 through-mount input power cable  — the Powerpole ends just need to be reconfigured which takes about 30 seconds.  I’m using one from “iGreely” which is fairly long, decent gauge, and with a nice heavy jacket.

Powerpole -> XT60 cable



On May 9, 2021, at 2:05 PM, Clayton Yendrey <cyendrey@...> wrote:



[Edited Message Follows]

This is what I just ordered; as set of 3 each (male/female) XT60 pigtails.

Amazon.com: Upgrades XT60 Connectors 12awg 5.9inch Wire with Solder Point Cover (3 Female + 3 Male) 3D Printer Power Supply Extension: Electronics

All that is needed is to crimp the respective Anderson Powerpole connectors to them.


Dale Ghent
 

Yep! That's exactly what I do, too. XT60 is an odd choice of connector for the UPBv2 but I guess it's smaller than powerpole and more secure than coaxial plugs.

On May 10, 2021, at 10:44, Jeffc <jeffcrilly@gmail.com> wrote:

Yeah… When the UPBv2 arrived , I ordered a bag of XT60 parts from Amazon along with some Powerpole pigtails (or maybe they were extension cables).
Then I soldered up the XT60 to the existing crimped Powerpole wires. I used heatshrink on the exposed XT60 solder connectors.
With this approach I could choose the exact length of cable needed, and remove the excess cable mess. Pic attached below.

I’ve been crimping Powerpole for years.. and then decided to solder them. Nowadays I look for pre-wired cables, and if I’m “adapting” I simply cut one end off and put on whatever connector I need. Sometimes the pre-wired power poles aren’t configured the same but that can be fixed easily and without any tools. I’ve just found crimping power poles to be time consuming.. however there is great satisfaction when the power pole “pin” snaps into the housing!

Fwiw, I’ve been recently picking parts like this on Amazon simply because of the fairly rapid delivery time. Normally I’d go to the local Ham Radio Outlet store but it closed down about 1.5years ago and the nearest is a 2 hour round trip.

Also.. I’ve found the “battery generator” charge extension cables can be repurposed for the Mach2 through-mount input power cable — the Powerpole ends just need to be reconfigured which takes about 30 seconds. I’m using one from “iGreely” which is fairly long, decent gauge, and with a nice heavy jacket.

Powerpole -> XT60 cable

<image0.jpeg>

On May 9, 2021, at 2:05 PM, Clayton Yendrey <cyendrey@gmail.com> wrote:


[Edited Message Follows]

This is what I just ordered; as set of 3 each (male/female) XT60 pigtails.

Amazon.com: Upgrades XT60 Connectors 12awg 5.9inch Wire with Solder Point Cover (3 Female + 3 Male) 3D Printer Power Supply Extension: Electronics

All that is needed is to crimp the respective Anderson Powerpole connectors to them.


Andrew Jones
 
Edited

Another good source for all things PowerPole is Powerwerx.com. You may already know this, but one thing to pay attention to for barrel jack connectors is the inside diameter of the barrel jack. Some devices require 2.1mm and others 2.5mm. Powerwerxs sells both varieties. I usually pick up a couple of each type just to have on hand. 

Here is a source for Anderson to XT60
http://www.westmountainradio.com/product_info.php?products_id=xt60-cable

edited.


Dale Ghent
 

Ah, this must be new. I looked on WMR's store for one of these a few months ago and they didn't have one. Great, so there's now a decent commercial source for these for people who don't want to buy crimpers and parts to make their own (although having your own powerpole crimping kit is a very worthwhile thing to have, as MJB pointed out)

On May 10, 2021, at 14:04, Andrew Jones <andjones132@gmail.com> wrote:

[Edited Message Follows]

Another good source for all things PowerPole is Powerwerx.com. You may already know this, but one thing to pay attention to for barrel jack connectors is the inside diameter of the barrel jack. Some devices require 2.1mm and others 2.5mm. Powerwerxs sells both varieties. I usually pick up a couple of each type just to have on hand.

Here is a source for Anderson to XT60
http://www.westmountainradio.com/product_info.php?products_id=xt60-cable

edited.


M Hambrick
 

Hi Jeffc

Where do you get those heat shrink sleeves for the powerpole terminals ?

Mike


Jeffc
 

Where do you get those heat shrink sleeves for the powerpole terminals ?

Amazon has them.  

I think this is what you are looking for:

10pcs FR PVC Cover Flame Retardant Sleeve for ANDERSON Powerpole Connector Housing https://www.amazon.com/dp/B016U4CBUQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_2FW44DQAHM2D1V714SJ8?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Fwiw I was buying pre-wired Powerpole “extension” cables then cutting them for my needs.    These cables came with the black covers.  They are not heat shrink… and can be slid back to reconfigure the connectors. 
 
(Some use cases have the red/black reversed, or the red “on top” of the black… one can just slide the black rubber thing back, un-slide the power poles, then slide them back together correctly.)

Here’s a couple other quick-ship Amazon sources for power poles which I’ve exploited:

1) I really needed 12v power distribution for the mount, “top of OTA”, and WiFi router so I went with a power pole distribution box … it turns out this came with a connector kit and the sleeves.

WINDCAMP AP-8 8port 40A Connector Power Splitter Distributor Source Compatible with Anderson Powerpole (AP-8) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01KBTF7C0/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_MGKRD51B234EE6FY3VJS?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

2) power extension cable — useful for running power to the “thru mount” connector (on the RA axis).   This will require reconfiguring the connectors which is trivial once you know how power pole red/black connectors are held together.  This cable is very nice , heavy gauge (it seems but I’ve not confirmed)… I probly won’t be cutting this up…

iGreely Extension Cable 10Ft/3M 10AWG Battery Charger Adapter 45A Connector for GZ Yeti /G500 Solar Generator Power Inverter and for Renogy,Boulder 200 Solar Panels https://www.amazon.com/dp/B088TB3X6M/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_NCYD2NKTN4BJYYAFWYY2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

3) Same.. another brand… I got a couple of these and cut them to make splitters and one section went for the Pegasus power box with an XT60 soldered to the other end.  (Now showing Out of stock)

LIXIN 45A Battery Adapter Cable,... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07XR7MMJZ?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

4) power-pole to 2.1.   I’m using this to power the WiFi router at the mount.   I also used it to power a QHY camera before the Pegasus showed up.   I believe this would also work with my CP3 based mounts …

Valley Enterprises 2.1mm x 5.5mm Right Angle DC Male Power Plug with Anderson Powerpole Connectors, 18 Gauge Wire, Length 6 Feet https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GH8ZYJC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_6DQ44Y09MP1EW4MNEQS5?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1


On May 11, 2021, at 6:12 PM, M Hambrick <mhambrick563@...> wrote:

Hi Jeffc

Where do you get those heat shrink sleeves for the powerpole terminals ?

Mike