Mach2 with no keypad and no computer

W Hilmo

I was reading a topic on Cloudy Nights where there is a user with no keypad.  They're asking about initializing the Mach2 with a phone app and someone else made the claim that APCC is required before a phone app can be used.

On my two mounts with CP4 I can fully initialize the mount with either SkySafari (from Park 4 only) or Luminos (from any park position).  Does the CP5 work differently?

Thanks,
-Wade

Ray Gralak

Hi Wade,

On my two mounts with CP4 I can fully initialize the mount with either SkySafari (from Park 4 only) or Luminos (from
any park position). Does the CP5 work differently?
There is a difference, but it is not because of the CP5.

Unparking from one of the park positions is something many users will do with a mobile setup. Because the Mach 2's encoders always know where the mount is pointing, you must always unpark the Mach 2 from the last-parked position, and not from one of the park positions.

-Ray Gralak
Author of PEMPro

<https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/694300-mach2-waiting-list/?p=10726868> .

On my two mounts with CP4 I can fully initialize the mount with either SkySafari (from Park 4 only) or Luminos (from
any park position). Does the CP5 work differently?

Thanks,
-Wade

W Hilmo

Thanks.

So if I want to respond back to the thread, that it's possible to use a mobile app over wifi to initialize the mount, but that you must unpark it from the last parked position, correct? Also, does that imply that they need to use Luminos, since SkySafari does not yet have the capability to unpark from "last parked"?

-Wade

required before a phone app can be used <https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/694300-mach2-waiting-list/?p=10726868> .

On my two mounts with CP4 I can fully initialize the mount with either
SkySafari (from Park 4 only) or Luminos (from any park position). Does the CP5 work differently?

Thanks,
-Wade

Ray Gralak

So if I want to respond back to the thread, that it's possible to use a mobile app over wifi to initialize the mount, but that
you must unpark it from the last parked position, correct? Also, does that imply that they need to use Luminos, since
SkySafari does not yet have the capability to unpark from "last parked"?
Yes, unparking from last-park-position should work. Also, if the Mach2 was actually in the Park 4 position, unparking using SkySafari *should* work, but I don't know if anyone has tried that.

However, after unparking there are other commands that are different, or have been added, such as the button and slew rates, etc.

-Ray Gralak
Author of PEMPro

I was reading a topic on Cloudy Nights where there is a user with no
keypad. They're asking about initializing the
Mach2 with a phone app and someone else made the claim that APCC is
required before a phone app can be used <https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/694300-mach2-waiting-
list/?p=10726868> .

On my two mounts with CP4 I can fully initialize the mount with either
SkySafari (from Park 4 only) or Luminos (from any park position). Does the CP5 work differently?

Thanks,
-Wade

Roland Christen

There are two things that are different in the Mach2. One is that the initialization simply needs to send the Unpark command. The mount knows where it is at all times, even when powered off. In fact, you don't even need to park the mount at the end of the session. Just turn power off and store the mount in any orientation you want. Next session simply put the mount into any position that is suitable to attach a scope and turn power on. The mount will know exactly where it is pointing, whether previously parked or not, no muss no fuss.

The second thing is that we have a Home position which can be used to re-establish the position of the mount after a wrong sync or other user error.

Both of those commands are very simple but very useful, and our software person is working with SkySafari to add them to control the Mach2. They should have the new version of Sky Safari shortly.

So if I want to respond back to the thread, that it's possible to use a mobile app over wifi to initialize the mount, but that you must unpark it from the last parked position, correct?  Also, does that imply that they need to use Luminos, since SkySafari does not yet have the capability to unpark from "last parked"?

-Wade

> On my two mounts with CP4 I can fully initialize the mount with either
> SkySafari (from Park 4 only) or Luminos (from any park position).  Does the CP5 work differently?

There is a difference, but it is not because of the CP5.

Unparking from one of the park positions is something many users will do with a mobile setup. Because the Mach 2's encoders always know where the mount is pointing, you must always unpark the Mach 2 from the last-parked position, and not from one of the park positions.

-Ray Gralak
Author of PEMPro

Author of APCC (Astro-Physics Command Center):
https://www.astro-physics.com/apcc-pro
Author of Astro-Physics V2 ASCOM Driver:
https://www.siriusimaging.com/apdriver

I was reading a topic on Cloudy Nights where there is a user with no
keypad. They're asking about initializing the
Mach2 with a phone app and someone else made the claim that APCC is
required before a phone app can be used
<https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/694300-mach2-waiting-
list/?p=10726868> .

On my two mounts with CP4 I can fully initialize the mount with
either SkySafari (from Park 4 only) or Luminos (from any park position). Does the CP5 work differently?

Thanks,
-Wade

Roland Christen

Best to wait until the new Sky Safari version is available.

> So if I want to respond back to the thread, that it's possible to use
> a mobile app over wifi to initialize the mount, but that you must
> unpark it from the last parked position, correct?  Also, does that imply that they need to use Luminos, since SkySafari does not yet have the capability to unpark from "last parked"?

Yes, unparking from last-park-position should work. Also, if the Mach2 was actually in the Park 4 position, unparking using SkySafari *should* work, but I don't know if anyone has tried that.

However,  after unparking there are other commands that are different, or have been added, such as the button and slew rates, etc.

-Ray Gralak
Author of PEMPro

weihaowang

Thanks to all of you for the information.  I am the user Wade was referring to.  I will wait for the new version of SkySafari.  Our Mach2 is waiting for clearance at the customs. Before the new SkySafari becomes available, I will just use a computer.

--

Homepage:

http://www.asiaa.sinica.edu.tw/~whwang/

Astrobin gallery:
http://www.astrobin.com/users/whwang/

Terri Zittritsch

On Mon, Dec 14, 2020 at 09:59 PM, weihaowang wrote:
Thanks to all of you for the information.  I am the user Wade was referring to.  I will wait for the new version of SkySafari.  Our Mach2 is waiting for clearance at the customs. Before the new SkySafari becomes available, I will just use a computer.
Hi Wei Hao,
for what it's worth, I have tried to initialize the mount with version 6 pro of sky safari pro on the mach2, without the keypad or computer and was unsuccessful.  This was before the latest CP5 update.  Now that I have my keypad up and running initialization is no longer an issue.    Although once initialized in some other manner, sky safari works great.

Terri