Mach2 transport case?

Jeffc

(Apologies in advance for the mundane topic... but I just want to check my options before spending the $$...)

What are you using to transport the Mach2?
Caveat:  I don't want to remove the saddle to transport the Mach2 (unless someone can give me a good reason to remove it.)
I do know about the iM2875, but I'm not sure the mount will fit in the iM2875 with the saddle attached.   (more info below on why)

First.. I will note I'm a new Mach2 user since about 2 weeks... and let me say this mount is fantastic... I thought it might be "too big", but it seems to be just the right size... (fwiw, I also use an AP1200, and also an AP1100 for "portable work" as the AP1200 won't fit (easily) in the preferred vehicle i'm currently driving.)

I can see the Mach2 is going to be a great "portable" mount, and not take up a bunch of space in the car.
Plus with the Encoders and no need for PEM I'm finding unguided imaging is a joy...
(Tho, yes, the AP1200 w/ PEM also seems to do fine with unguided imaging.)

Now.. the question..
I know the Mach2 will fit in the Pelican iM2875 case using the original packing foam (plus a bit more).
However , it seems the RA needs to be "rotated downward" for the mount to fit.
My problem is I have the 10" saddle on the mount and with the current saddle position the DEC cannot rotate "flat" -- the saddle will collide with the altitude knob at my latitude..
I could move the saddle up a hole, tho the saddle will then stick out a bit further and I'm not sure it will fit in the case.

So.. other than the iM2875 what are you all using to transport your mount?

I'm currently transporting the AP1100 in a 17-gallon "Commander" storage bin from Lowes and it works great for the AP1100 (I have foam in the bottom)... I could repurpose this for the Mach2 easily, but it is overkill and I would really like to free up some space in the car.
The iM2875 looks almost the right size -- except for the saddle issue.
I'm thinking a slightly longer Pelican case with the same depth and possibly narrower width might be more appropriate, but I'll need to do more research / measurements to figure out which case that is.   (Fwiw, i don't need airline transport -- just from the house, to the car, and unpack at the site, and I'm looking to keep the "unpacking" time-efficient.)

thx for any suggestions.

-jeff

WMarton@...

I have my Mach1GTO in a Pelican Air 1615.  The interior dimensions are 29.6" x 15.5" x 9.4", so it is a somewhat tall and narrow Pelican case.  However, I can't rotate the DOVEDV10 of the Mach1 under the RA axis either because it will strike the altitude knob too.  But there is plenty of length to the case to accommodate the height of the "untucked" mount.  In fact there is enough room for the CW shaft, CP4, and other accessories.  I just put the Mach2 in the case and it also fits, but barely.  There is about one inch of space around the mount in the long dimension.  I am either going to use the 1615 case or buy a larger, cheaper case like the DeWalt ToughSystem 2.0 24" Mobile Tool Box.  There is plenty of room for the Mach2 and there are DeWalt accessory boxes that are stackable that can carry my telescope rings, CWs and other accessories.

Bill

Eduardo Oliveira

Hi

I brought my Mach1 from the US back to Brazil in a Pelican iM2720 Storm Trak Case with foam. It arrived safe and unharmed.

Regards

E. Oliveira

Em qui., 18 de mar. de 2021 às 22:02, WMarton via groups.io <WMarton=verizon.net@groups.io> escreveu:

[...]

Thx Bill. I was also considering the 1615… if anything I heard it is a good case for the AP130GT.

I feel like the “9.4 inch” dimension is a bit short. But I just measured the mount with foam underneath and it looks doable.

The extra space is nice…. I would prefer keeping the contents as light as possible, but a place to stash cables and other small lightweight parts would work.

Thx

On Mar 18, 2021, at 6:02 PM, WMarton via groups.io <WMarton=verizon.net@groups.io> wrote:

I have my Mach1GTO in a Pelican Air 1615.

Seb@stro

You might want to take a look at mycasebuilder.com to « virtually try » several case brands/models.

They have a tool allowing you to custom design foam inserts based on your own pictures of equipment so you can figure out easily how whatever you plan to store in the selected model will fit or not.

Clear skies,
Sébastien

Andrea Lucchetti

I am using a Maxcase MAX 540H245.

It is an air tight case, Pelican style.
but I don't fit the saddle, you can try but it would be just enough.(it depends on your latitude)
they have a bigger one (640mm) but too big for my car and my back.

Andrea

Greg McCall

I have previously used pelican cases for mounts but space in my car just was too tight (even with a Toyota Prado which is a large SUV diesel in Australia).
I have the OTA with image train intact (camera/filter wheel etc) so that flats remain valid.
Protecting the OTA and image train is much more important.
I save space by wrapping mount (and tripod) in their own beach towels with straps to hold towels in place. The mount is more robust than you might imagine.

Kevin Cook

Jeff - My solution will deviate a bit from what others have suggested.  It very much depends on your intended use.  I originally kept my Mach 1 head in a Pelican 1610 rolling case because I needed the rolling features for star parties and I wanted to keep more of the associated parts (hand controller, etc.) in a single case.  Then there came a time when lifting that heavy Pelican case in and out of the SUV became a headache (or technically a backache).  So my current solution is lighter, and might be the smallest hard case that fits the Mach 1 head plus the counterweight shaft - the Nanuk 940.  Significantly lighter and smaller than the Pelican 1610.  I pad the few open spaces with air bags and heavy-duty bubble wrap.  I have found that my back is much happier with multiple smaller cases than one big heavy case.  Remembering to bring the multiple smaller cases is not too hard, as I keep them all stacked on top of each other.

Npte that I am assuming the Mach 2 is essentially the same dimensions as the Mach 1, and that I would also use a Pelican case like the 1610 if the mount were traveling via airline checked baggage.

Bill Long

I picked up the Pelican Case referenced in the manual for the Mach 2 but its still in the box and is on my weekend project list to get configured. Have others done this? What modifications were needed to the shipping foam to get it to work?

Kenneth Tan

Nope. It is much larger. Won’t fit the pelican 1610.

On Sat, 20 Mar 2021 at 00:51, Kevin Cook <kvc3509@...> wrote:
[...]

Richard

I purchased a pelican 1640 case for my Mach 2.  I’ve had the case for just
under a year.  As you can see, I can fit the mount, cables, GTOCP5 and GTOCP5
tripod attachment along with the counterweight bar in the case.  While not
shown in this photo, I have been able to fit a polemaster and cables into
the case as well. The small box in the lower left contains the thumb crews
that attach the mount to a tripod.  The counterweight bar is under the GTOCP5
box.  The high density foam is the same foam that came in AP shipping box
for the mount.  I also keep a small container of desiccant hidden away in
a foam pocket.

Pros:
+ Good, solid case, moisture and dust proof (its a pelican case)
+ Inner dimensions 23.7” x 24” x 13.9"
+ I can use the same foam that shipped with the mount from AP
+ One case will hold most of the mount “kit” to run the mount
+ When stood up the case can serve as a table for a laptop (see below).
+ The case has wheels and an extendible handle to roll on reasonably smooth
  surfaces

Cons:
- The case is large: outer dimensions 27.2” x 27.5” x 16.3” and may not easily
  fit in the back of smaller cars.
- I’ve not yet found a clean way to safely include the saddle or the keypad.
- The filled case is a bit heavy.  While the case has good wheels and will roll
  over grass easily, lugging the case a significant distance from your vehicle
  may take two people to do comfortibly.

Overall, I’m happy with the case, though not had as much chance to break it in
as I would like.

Rick

On Mar 19, 2021, at 12:03, Bill Long via groups.io <bill@...> wrote:

I picked up the Pelican Case referenced in the manual for the Mach 2 but its still in the box and is on my weekend project list to get configured. Have others done this? What modifications were needed to the shipping foam to get it to work?

Jeffc

Fwiw...  I put the Mach2 in the original AP shipping box  to get some measurements:
    - First , I removed two sides of the supplied foam from the box, i.e. the box has the "bottom" foam, and a short and long side foam-- One of the short and long sides was removed.
    - I Put the mount in with the RA and Saddle in the “park 3” position.

It seems to fit in the box with just a bit of room to spare. Maybe an inch.

Since the interior of the iM2875 is about an inch bigger in w x h I would expect there is some room for foam all around.
iM2875 = 22.5 x 21.1 x 11.4
AP Box  = 21.5 x 19.5 x 11.25

So.. it seems it will fit this way in the iM2875.

Also... fwiw.. I don't really want to add additional things to the mount case.   It will become too heavy to get out of the car.
Currently the mount is IIRC 40 lbs , iirc w/o cw shaft.
These cases are like 20 lbs.
I could see stashing some things in the case when it is already in the car, but the trunk arrangement will make it difficult to open the box.

Bill Long

I have the Pelican case here and will start on the foam transplant tomorrow.

[...]

Len Fulham

Jeff,

On my Mach I,  with my case, I needed to bring the the saddle plate under but it was interfering with the altitude knob as you have experienced. I decided to modify the saddle plate by cutting a section out. Mine is the older D style 9" saddle plate. I resected about 20mm of plate while preserving the dovetail ways and I do not see any adverse effects from this. If you have the newer 10" D + V saddle you will need to consider if this is a useful approach.

Just another way of not going to a larger case. (I realise some prefer not to modify their AP equipment).

Cheers,

Len

ernie.mastroianni@...

Hi Jeff C.

Thanks for this post, you inspired me to look for a travel case. I found this: A Seahorse 830 equipment case. Arrived today. It fits my Mach2 precisely, without removing the dovetail clamp or adjusting my latitude of 43 degrees north. When I close the case, it does not even move around inside, despite the complete lack of padding. I'll probably add a bottom layer anyway. Ordered from Specialtycases.com.
Ernie

Jeffc

Thx for the pointer!   I was also looking ay Seahorse as a less expensive alternative .. I will be transporting the mount myself and don't need an airline safe case.
It is a tad tight for me... I have the saddle up on the rear set of holes... and then the other day I switched to the 16" saddle for the 12" SCT.
I'm also looking for a case that doesn't have alot of volume in the vertical -- I'm challenged for vertical space in the car.
And... I believe these are HALF the weight of an empty pelican if the specs on amazon are correct.

According to amazon, the 830 has a "width" of 11 inches inside.   I could probably go up a size and it still wont break the bank.
E.g. the 920 is "interior Dimensions: 22.12 x 13.54 x 8.50 . Case weight: 14.23 lbs"
I think something like this will be better than the Lowe's "Commander" storage tote bin (which i have been using for the 1100).

thx

-jeff

On Tue, Mar 30, 2021 at 1:46 PM <ernie.mastroianni@...> wrote:
Hi Jeff C.

Thanks for this post, you inspired me to look for a travel case. I found this: A Seahorse 830 equipment case. Arrived today. It fits my Mach2 precisely, without removing the dovetail clamp or adjusting my latitude of 43 degrees north. When I close the case, it does not even move around inside, despite the complete lack of padding. I'll probably add a bottom layer anyway. Ordered from Specialtycases.com.
Ernie

ernie.mastroianni@...

My apologies Jeff and the A-P group, and glad you looked closely. I was mistaken, I have the Seahorse 920, and NOT the 830. It has a width of 13.88 inches, which is critical to get the width of the mount to fit snugly. The Mach 2 would never fit into the 830.

To be clear, pictured here is the Seahorse 920
Ernie