Mach2 stuck in a slew while parked (APCC Pro)

Luca Marinelli

I had an unusual situation appear last night while imaging unattended with the Mach2. At 4:20am, SGP issued a slew command to a new target and the mount started slewing. However, when I got up and checked the status, I found the APCC status window as in the screenshot below: the SLEW indicator was flashing but the mount was parked.  the slew never completed and SGP was still waiting for the mount to confirm that it had completed the slew.

APCC and AP ASCOM logs: https://www.dropbox.com/s/y630iv98br4o1sz/ApccZip-Luca_Marinelli-2021-06-10-063708.zip?dl=0

I don't know if it's relevant, but given the previous conflicts when I used the Mach2 with APCC on a computer that had previously been setup for a Mach1 I'll mention it. I swapped piers and the Mach2 is now connected with the computer that was previously running APCC with a AP1100 without encoders. I have setup Meridian limits, I deleted the old horizon limit file and setup a new one but I did not start with a fresh APCC installation.

thanks,

Luca

Ray Gralak

Hi Luca,

In log APCC-2021-06-10-004557.txt at line 867388, it shows that the slew didn't complete because the mount hit the Dec limit:

0867388 2021-06-10 04:20:06.398: Info, Async Window, WARNING -- Dec limit was reached!

-Ray

[...]

Thanks Ray. No physical Dec limit was hit. I suspect this is the same situation I encountered before when I swapped the Mach1 for the Mach2.

What files should I save from the APCC folder before I put in the trash bin? I am thinking meridian limit and APPM model. Anything else?

Thanks,

Luca

On Jun 10, 2021, at 9:39 AM, Ray Gralak via groups.io <iogroups=siriusimaging.com@groups.io> wrote:

[...]

You may want to start from scratch by deleting the Settings.apcc file in this folder:

C:\ProgramData\Astro-Physics\APCC

If needed, your can recover your settings from the Backups folder.

-Ray

[...]

One more thing, in a case like this when APCC parks the mount in the middle of a slew, shouldn't APCC communicate to the ASCOM driver that the slew was aborted and the mount parked? Two hours later, SGP was still patiently waiting for the mount to complete the slew. The roof was still open when the sun came up and the roof controller ultimately closed the roof due to unsafe sunny conditions but the sequence in SGP never completed, as it was still waiting the the mount to report that the slew to the target had completed or failed.

Thanks,

Luca

Luca Marinelli

On Thu, Jun 10, 2021 at 10:15 AM, Ray Gralak wrote:
Hi Luca,

You may want to start from scratch by deleting the Settings.apcc file in this folder:

C:\ProgramData\Astro-Physics\APCC

If needed, your can recover your settings from the Backups folder.

-Ray
Thank you!

Ray Gralak

Unfortunately, because of the misconfiguration, the error would have persisted. And since the slew never reached the destination, it is probably as good a reason as any to stop the client application from proceeding. If the park was reported then there would have likely been further errors in SGP that would have made it more time consuming to locate the original source of the problem. At least now you know what to do to solve the problem.

-Ray