Mach2 RA problem

Tim Morrill

Edited

Hello I’ve had the Mach2 for quite some time now and I’ve been enjoying it quite a lot! It has been performing perfectly. Except last night I went to image a object and it slewed way off target and acted like it was lost. I tried to home the amount but kept coming up with a communication error. And also for the park itself.

So I went out today to see if I could figure out what was going on and after powering on the mount and energizing the motors it makes a very loud clicking noise in the RA area. And when I’m trying to move the RA there is very loud gear grinding noise… So I just stopped and shut it off immediately.

Any idea what could have happened? And how to fix it? It’s been sitting in the observatory and nothing has changed.

I will attempt to upload a video so that you can hear the noise.

Thanks

Tim Morrill.

Roland Christen

There are no gears grinding.

It sounds like the stepper motor in RA has lost connection to one of the phases and is trying to run on a single phase (this will do no harm to the motor or mount, it just sounds bad). Bad connection could be in the the cable between CP5 and mount. Try switching the two cables. Take the RA cable and pug it into the Dec on the CP5 and mount and take the Dec cable and plug it into the RA CP5 and mount. If the cable has a broken connection the problem will move over to the Dec side.

Roland