Mach2 question

Harold

My Mach2 arrived on Saturday, I have set it up in the family room to get used to it’s operation. During this process I connected it to SkySafari and was pleasantly surprised that the mount  connected and work. Before disconnecting I had SkySafari send the mount to park position 4. The mount stoped with a 2.5 degree error in RA and 10.5 in DEC. I was expecting much better results than this. Any suggestions would be helpful, not overlooking the strong possibility of operator inexperienced or error.

michaeljhanson@...

Hi Harold,

Park 4 has dependency on latitude.  So, the first thing to check is that the (software) location matches the mechanical adjustment of the mount.  Sky Safari allows you to program your site information in to the mount from the "Scope Setup" screen, but the default is to NOT update the mount upon connect.  When you've connected with the "Set Time & Location" box checked, the mount will be updated.  The mount will remember this "site" forever, so you do not need to leave the box checked.  Make sure the altitude adjustment is consistent with the latitude reported by Sky Safari.

When the mechanical setup and the site information are in agreement, you can choose "Find Home" on the disconnect menu.  Home is in the Park 3 orientation.  Make sure "Home" matches park 3.

I hope you enjoy your new toy!

Regards,
Mike Hanson

Harold

Thanks for the response, somehow SkySafari move my mount to someplace in France. After correcting for this the RA was much better and DEC error was down to 1.3 degrees but I’m not sure the elevation is spot on. Also not sure that the axis of the dovetail is aligned with the DEC axis or how important that is.