Observatory engineer
Waikoloa, HI 96738
www.summitkinetics.com

On Sat, Jun 20, 2020, 12:19 PM uncarollo2 <chris1011@...> via groups.io <chris1011=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
The Mach2 power supply does not use Anderson power poles. It uses Hirose connectors. This 24 volt supply should never be used to power anything else, no matter how tempting. It is ONLY to be used to power the Mach2, nothing else.

Roland

-----Original Message-----
From: Christopher Erickson <christopher.k.erickson@...>
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Sent: Sat, Jun 20, 2020 4:26 pm
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] Mach2 power consumption #Mach2GTO

And MAKE SURE that you use a different style of connectors for the 24V power supply and 12V supply. You don't want to connect 24V to your precious camera or other 12V devices.

Anderson makes powerpole connectors in different sizes, for example. Prevent mixups.

-Christopher Erickson
Observatory engineer
Waikoloa, HI 96738
www.summitkinetics.com

On Sat, Jun 20, 2020, 7:01 AM Jerome Allison <jallison@...> wrote:
[Edited Message Follows]
Thanks, David and Rolando.
I will get the simpler Powerwerx supply when it's back in stock, and use the 24 volt supply for the mount in the meantime.
Jerome
P.S. The mount worked perfectly - I really love it, Roland. Great stuff.

uncarollo2 <chris1011@aol.com>

Best not to cut the 12 or 24 volt cords because DC at that power level loses voltage for every meter of length added. Best to use an extension cord on the AC side where you can go 100 meters without losing a millivolt of voltage at the DC output.
Betcha most people didn't know that ;^))

And MAKE SURE that you use a different style of connectors for the 24V power supply and 12V supply. You don't want to connect 24V to your precious camera or other 12V devices.

Anderson makes powerpole connectors in different sizes, for example. Prevent mixups.

-Christopher Erickson
Observatory engineer
Waikoloa, HI 96738
www.summitkinetics.com

On Sat, Jun 20, 2020, 7:01 AM Jerome Allison <jallison@...> wrote:
[Edited Message Follows]
Thanks, David and Rolando.
I will get the simpler Powerwerx supply when it's back in stock, and use the 24 volt supply for the mount in the meantime.
Jerome
P.S. The mount worked perfectly - I really love it, Roland. Great stuff.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions, but humbly I have no idea what a Hirose connector is, and can't find them.  The connector on my 24V supply that came with the Mach2 seems to be a standard red/black Anderson PowerPole.  I think maybe the GTOCP5 uses a Hirose connector, and the included power cable transistions to Anderson?

I actually got a "Daygreen" 12 to 24 VDC converter long before for the mount.  I followed their color code, using red/black powerpole connectors for 12VDC in and yellow/black for 24VDC out so I wouldn't confuse voltages.  (I also use gray/orange to code my solar connections.)  I haven't tested it yet, and don't know if there's really any reason for using it when I'm away from line power and am on batteries.

What are your thoughts on a 12 to 24 DC-DC converter for the mount?  Probably minimal benefits along with voltage conversion power loss, and thus no real gain?

Jerome

uncarollo2 <chris1011@aol.com>

The DC connector on the CP5 is a round 2 pin Hirose connector. You received a power supply cord with Hirose connector on one end and power poles on the other. The 24 volt AC-DC supply that came with the mount plugs right into that power cable, and yes it does so using the Anderson power poles. However, the Anderson power poles DO NOT connect to the CP5.

Please do not use that power supply to power anything else while plugged into the Mach2 CP5 controller. It is 24 volts and can fry your other electronic devices.

We supplied you with the power cord that has one end with Anderson power pole connectors so that you have the option of using your CP5 with other power supplies including batteries in the field where the AC-DC power supply would not be useful. You can use any 12 to 24 volt DC battery supply to operate your mount in the field. We did these connectors that way so that you have flexibility.

[...]

Terri Zittritsch

On Sat, Jun 20, 2020 at 06:19 PM, uncarollo2 <chris1011@...> wrote:
The Mach2 power supply does not use Anderson power poles. It uses Hirose connectors. This 24 volt supply should never be used to power anything else, no matter how tempting. It is ONLY to be used to power the Mach2, nothing else.

Roland

Roland, is this a recent change?   Best I can tell the connector on the 24V supply I have is powerpole.    If not powerpole, it is a copy, and since this plugs into the power cord on the CP5, which also plugs into my battery box which I put powerpole on, I'm not clear what you're referring to.

Terri

Terri

Rick Socarras

Happy Fathers Day to Astro-Dads!

The Mach 2 AC/DC Power Supply terminates to  an Anderson Power Pole connector.  That Anderson Power Pole connector DOES NOT attach to the mount in ANY way.  Astro-Physics then provides an EXTENSION cable.  That extension cable then connects to the ANDERSON POWER POLE connection on one end.  At the END of that extension cable is the FEMALE HIROSE connector that connects to the CP5 control box.

I was following this question because my interest is creating a Y POWER POLE SPLITTER.  The idea is I would SPLIT the power to the Mach 2 AND then SPLIT the power to a STEP down transformer (24V to 12V)  for camera equipment.  I know I can do this I just was not sure of the PEAK amperage draw of the Mach 2?  So, what is the PEAK draw of the MACH 2 while in use AND if something goes wrong?

Rick

uncarollo2 <chris1011@aol.com>

So, what is the PEAK draw of the MACH 2 while in use AND if something goes wrong?
The power supply is rated at 10 amps. The peak current draw at high slew rates (1800x) and both axes slewing can be as much as 5 amps. Could be more if the load is unbalanced and the mount has to work against the unbalance.

Powering other stuff can put spikes in the DC, so it's not a good idea to split the power from the mount supply to power things like dew heaters.

The Mach 2 AC/DC Power Supply terminates to  an Anderson Power Pole connector.  That Anderson Power Pole connector DOES NOT attach to the mount in ANY way.  Astro-Physics then provides an EXTENSION cable.  That extension cable then connects to the ANDERSON POWER POLE connection on one end.  At the END of that extension cable is the FEMALE HIROSE connector that connects to the CP5 control box.

I was following this question because my interest is creating a Y POWER POLE SPLITTER.  The idea is I would SPLIT the power to the Mach 2 AND then SPLIT the power to a STEP down transformer (24V to 12V)  for camera equipment.  I know I can do this I just was not sure of the PEAK amperage draw of the Mach 2?  So, what is the PEAK draw of the MACH 2 while in use AND if something goes wrong?

Rick

Worsel

"Could be more if the load is unbalanced and the mount has to work against the unbalance."

If I use my Powerwerx meter to measure the watts (more precision than amps) in moving E to W versus W to E and N to S versus S to N, how small should the difference in watts be for a suitable balance in each axis?

Does the difference vary among mounts?  I have an 1100 (non-AE).

Bryan

Terri Zittritsch

Edited

On Sat, Jun 20, 2020 at 07:37 PM, uncarollo2 <chris1011@...> wrote:
[...]

Thanks Roland, I understand the applicability of 24V DC vs. 12V DC, thanks.    I didn't realize the CP5 connector on the box is called a Hirose connector.  It's probably mentioned somewhere in your documentation and it just didn't stick with me.   I was thinking of the connection at the end of the power cord.   It is convenient to use the power-poles.   This is the first time I've used them and now updating the clubs telescope equipment after doing my other 12v astronomy gear..   As long as everything is the same voltage, it makes things very convenient and no-fault.    To avoid confusion, maybe put some kind of flag-tag at the end that says 24V - Mount only.      You almost want CP5 box power cord for 12V (normal power-poles) and then a separate connector type for 24V that fits the 24V supply only.    Or a dual headed connector on the CP5 cord (which I never like).    When I'm setting up both supples are usually right next to each other on my table, and even though the cords are different, something in my brain forces me to feel my way back to the supply to figure out which is which.   I think I'll label mine..

Terri

Dean Jacobsen

My solution has been to power everything with 12v.  The mount works fine and slews at up to 1200x with 12v - actually 13.6v.  The mount is just plugged into my RigRunner along with everything else.  That way I don't have to think about which thing gets 24v and which things get 12v.
--
Dean Jacobsen
http://astrophoto.net/wp/

Christopher Erickson

Actually ALL of the power consumed eventually is released as heat. Since energy can't be created or destroyed. Energy and mass can be converted but not created or destroyed.

If your power supply is feeding 100.000 watts to your system, 100.000 watts of heat is ultimately radiated from that system, at different points. Some from the power supply, some from the wires, some from the motors, some from the electronics, some from lights, etc.

Energy is always a net sum game. Always flowing from a high side to a low side. Disregarding the comparatively-trivial amount of heat generated in the core of the earth by nuclear fission of heavy metals, the earth radiates exactly as much energy back into space as it receives from the sun (and that core fission.) If it did not, it would be a planetary disaster.

On Wed, Jun 24, 2020 at 5:43 AM Rodolphe <rodolgo@...> wrote:
I guess you mean 5 to 20% of the consumption is generated by the PS as heat anyways, depending on the PS efficiency.
The remaining 80 to 95% is used by the consumer, ie the powered device including the power line, which will transform it into mechanical power, and a bit into heat as well.
Correct?