Mach2 - Pollux not in correct position

Mike Pigney

I'm using my Mach2 with the AP keypad. It works perfectly in every way and goto's are spot on.

When I command it to go to the star Pollux, it slews to a position approximately 90 degrees to the East of where it should be.

All other objects are spot on so far.

Has anybody else encountered this with the Mach2?

Mike

Christopher Erickson

The mount is never lost. What are you using to command the mount? That is where the problem is.

-Christopher Erickson
Observatory engineer
Waikoloa, HI 96738
www.summitkinetics.com

On Sat, Mar 27, 2021, 3:41 PM Mike Pigney via groups.io <mpigney=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
I'm using my Mach2 with the AP keypad. It works perfectly in every way and goto's are spot on.

When I command it to go to the star Pollux, it slews to a position approximately 90 degrees to the East of where it should be.

All other objects are spot on so far.

Has anybody else encountered this with the Mach2?

Mike

Christopher Erickson

Let me rephrase that.

Is anything else connected to the mount besides the AP hand controller?

-Christopher Erickson
Observatory engineer
Waikoloa, HI 96738
www.summitkinetics.com

On Sat, Mar 27, 2021, 3:54 PM Christopher Erickson <christopher.k.erickson@...> wrote:
The mount is never lost. What are you using to command the mount? That is where the problem is.

-Christopher Erickson
Observatory engineer
Waikoloa, HI 96738
www.summitkinetics.com

On Sat, Mar 27, 2021, 3:41 PM Mike Pigney via groups.io <mpigney=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
I'm using my Mach2 with the AP keypad. It works perfectly in every way and goto's are spot on.

When I command it to go to the star Pollux, it slews to a position approximately 90 degrees to the East of where it should be.

All other objects are spot on so far.

Has anybody else encountered this with the Mach2?

Mike

Mike Pigney

Hi Christopher,

No, I am using the mount only with the AP keypad.

Mike

Christopher Erickson

Is this a brand-new AP hand controller or an older unit?

If it is an older unit, possibly it's battery is getting low and the object database got corrupted?

-Christopher Erickson
Observatory engineer
Waikoloa, HI 96738
www.summitkinetics.com

On Sat, Mar 27, 2021, 5:22 PM Mike Pigney via groups.io <mpigney=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hi Christopher,

No, I am using the mount only with the AP keypad.

Mike

Mike Pigney

The keypad is new with the mount and about 1 month old.

My AP1200 keypad was corrupted when I did the battery swap, but the only symptoms were magnitude values being incorrect on some objects. Otherwise it worked perfectly with goto's and object location.

Mike

Mike, you can look at the coordinates the keypad has for Pollux by pressing the > button after selecting Pollux. Check to see if they match coordinates taken from an online catalog,

RA 07h 45m 18.94987s

DEC +28° 01′ 34.3160″

If the coordinates don’t match, then the keypad database is corrupted and needs to be reloaded. Entropy can’t be totally defeated, so even if a battery is in good condition it is possible for a database bit to be flipped. If the coordinates DO match, there is something funny afoot.

Liam

[...]

Hi Liam,

 The coordinates do not match. It puts the scope very close to Porrima.

They are the following:

RA 12h 41m 39s
DEC -01 26' 57"

Jeffc

So.. out of curiosity I just went outside and checked the new Mach2 keypad for the RA / Dec of Pollux
(note this is just calling up the star from the DB then pressing < to get the RA / Dec... no goto.)

I got the same seemingly incorrect coordinates...

Pollux-on-Mach2-Keypad.jpg

On Mon, Mar 29, 2021 at 5:59 PM Mike Pigney via groups.io <mpigney=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hi Liam,

 The coordinates do not match. It puts the scope very close to Porrima.

They are the following:

RA 12h 41m 39s
DEC -01 26' 57"

Eric Weiner

Ditto with my keypad.

Mike Pigney

Check out Porrima to see if it is also incorrect.

Mike

Jeffc

Also out of curiosity I checked the CP3 / 1100 keypad which I loaded last week with a fresh DB after battery replacement.

It is correct.

On Mar 29, 2021, at 8:11 PM, Mike Pigney via groups.io <mpigney@...> wrote:

Check out Porrima to see if it is also incorrect.

Mike

Jeffc

Apologies for the lousy fuzzy picture..

On Mar 29, 2021, at 9:29 PM, Jeff Crilly <jeffcrilly@...> wrote:

Also out of curiosity I checked the CP3 / 1100 keypad which I loaded last week with a fresh DB after battery replacement.

It is correct.

<image.jpg>

On Mar 29, 2021, at 8:11 PM, Mike Pigney via groups.io <mpigney@...> wrote:

Check out Porrima to see if it is also incorrect.

Mike

Eric Weiner

It’s not just Pollux

Howdy,

I took a closer look at the database around Pollux. 5 stars are affected. Here is a table of the affected stars in the database, and the coordinates that they currently have. As a workaround for now, you can use the star on the left to slew to the star on the right. Note that Algiedi is correct in the database.

Star in Database:

Coordinates go to:

PolarisA

Polis

Polis

Pollux

Pollux

Porrima

Porrima

Praecipua

Praecipu

Algiedi

Thanks for helping us find and confirm this bug, everyone! We will work on a fix for this and it will be in the next release of the V5 keypad firmware.

Liam Plybon

Astro-Physics