Mach2 - Pollux not in correct position

Mike Pigney

I'm using my Mach2 with the AP keypad. It works perfectly in every way and goto's are spot on. 

When I command it to go to the star Pollux, it slews to a position approximately 90 degrees to the East of where it should be.

All other objects are spot on so far.

Has anybody else encountered this with the Mach2?

Mike 

Christopher Erickson

The mount is never lost. What are you using to command the mount? That is where the problem is.

-Christopher Erickson
Observatory engineer
Waikoloa, HI 96738
www.summitkinetics.com

On Sat, Mar 27, 2021, 3:41 PM Mike Pigney via groups.io <mpigney=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
I'm using my Mach2 with the AP keypad. It works perfectly in every way and goto's are spot on. 

When I command it to go to the star Pollux, it slews to a position approximately 90 degrees to the East of where it should be.

Mike 

Christopher Erickson

Let me rephrase that.

Is anything else connected to the mount besides the AP hand controller?

-Christopher Erickson
Observatory engineer
Waikoloa, HI 96738
www.summitkinetics.com

On Sat, Mar 27, 2021, 3:54 PM Christopher Erickson <christopher.k.erickson@...> wrote:
The mount is never lost. What are you using to command the mount? That is where the problem is.

-Christopher Erickson
Observatory engineer
Waikoloa, HI 96738
www.summitkinetics.com

On Sat, Mar 27, 2021, 3:41 PM Mike Pigney via groups.io <mpigney=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Mike 

Mike Pigney

Hi Christopher,

No, I am using the mount only with the AP keypad.

Mike 

Christopher Erickson

Is this a brand-new AP hand controller or an older unit?

If it is an older unit, possibly it's battery is getting low and the object database got corrupted?

-Christopher Erickson
Observatory engineer
Waikoloa, HI 96738
www.summitkinetics.com

On Sat, Mar 27, 2021, 5:22 PM Mike Pigney via groups.io <mpigney=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hi Christopher,

No, I am using the mount only with the AP keypad.

Mike 

Mike Pigney

The keypad is new with the mount and about 1 month old.

My AP1200 keypad was corrupted when I did the battery swap, but the only symptoms were magnitude values being incorrect on some objects. Otherwise it worked perfectly with goto's and object location.

Mike

Mike, you can look at the coordinates the keypad has for Pollux by pressing the > button after selecting Pollux. Check to see if they match coordinates taken from an online catalog,

RA 07h 45m 18.94987s

DEC +28° 01′ 34.3160″

If the coordinates don’t match, then the keypad database is corrupted and needs to be reloaded. Entropy can’t be totally defeated, so even if a battery is in good condition it is possible for a database bit to be flipped. If the coordinates DO match, there is something funny afoot.

Liam

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> On Behalf Of Christopher Erickson
Sent: Saturday, March 27, 2021 8:56 PM
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] Mach2 - Pollux not in correct position

Let me rephrase that.

Is anything else connected to the mount besides the AP hand controller?

-Christopher Erickson
Observatory engineer
Waikoloa, HI 96738
www.summitkinetics.com

On Sat, Mar 27, 2021, 3:54 PM Christopher Erickson <christopher.k.erickson@...> wrote:

-Christopher Erickson
Observatory engineer
Waikoloa, HI 96738
www.summitkinetics.com

Mike 

Mike Pigney

Hi Liam,

The coordinates do not match. It puts the scope very close to Porrima.

They are the following:

RA 12h 41m 39s
DEC -01 26' 57"

Jeffc

So.. out of curiosity I just went outside and checked the new Mach2 keypad for the RA / Dec of Pollux 
(note this is just calling up the star from the DB then pressing < to get the RA / Dec... no goto.)

I got the same seemingly incorrect coordinates...  

Pollux-on-Mach2-Keypad.jpg

On Mon, Mar 29, 2021 at 5:59 PM Mike Pigney via groups.io <mpigney=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hi Liam,

The coordinates do not match. It puts the scope very close to Porrima.

They are the following:

RA 12h 41m 39s
DEC -01 26' 57"

Eric Weiner

Ditto with my keypad. 

Mike Pigney

Check out Porrima to see if it is also incorrect.

Mike

Jeffc

Also out of curiosity I checked the CP3 / 1100 keypad which I loaded last week with a fresh DB after battery replacement.  

It is correct. 

On Mar 29, 2021, at 8:11 PM, Mike Pigney via groups.io <mpigney@...> wrote:

Mike

Jeffc

Apologies for the lousy fuzzy picture..

On Mar 29, 2021, at 9:29 PM, Jeff Crilly <jeffcrilly@...> wrote:

Also out of curiosity I checked the CP3 / 1100 keypad which I loaded last week with a fresh DB after battery replacement.  

It is correct. 

<image.jpg>

On Mar 29, 2021, at 8:11 PM, Mike Pigney via groups.io <mpigney@...> wrote:

Mike

Eric Weiner

It’s not just Pollux

Howdy,

I took a closer look at the database around Pollux. 5 stars are affected. Here is a table of the affected stars in the database, and the coordinates that they currently have. As a workaround for now, you can use the star on the left to slew to the star on the right. Note that Algiedi is correct in the database.

Star in Database:

Coordinates go to:

PolarisA

Polis

Polis

Pollux

Pollux

Porrima

Porrima

Praecipua

Praecipu

Algiedi

Thanks for helping us find and confirm this bug, everyone! We will work on a fix for this and it will be in the next release of the V5 keypad firmware.

Liam Plybon

Astro-Physics

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> On Behalf Of Eric Weiner
Sent: Monday, March 29, 2021 11:35 PM

It’s not just Pollux

Mike Pigney

Thanks for finding the source of the problem Liam.

Mike

M Hambrick

Thanks Liam

As for the keypad software, is there any timing on when the latest version will be available to the CP4 users ? There were several forum members (myself included) who were interested in sending their keypads in to have the RA / DEC / REV button replaced to match the function with the new software.

Mike

Don Anderson

Liam
Is the bug in the 4.19 version as well?

Don Anderson

On Tuesday, March 30, 2021, 02:42:53 p.m. MDT, Liam Plybon <liam@...> wrote:

Howdy,

I took a closer look at the database around Pollux. 5 stars are affected. Here is a table of the affected stars in the database, and the coordinates that they currently have. As a workaround for now, you can use the star on the left to slew to the star on the right. Note that Algiedi is correct in the database.

Star in Database:

Coordinates go to:

PolarisA

Polis

Polis

Pollux

Pollux

Porrima

Porrima

Praecipua

Praecipu

Algiedi

Thanks for helping us find and confirm this bug, everyone! We will work on a fix for this and it will be in the next release of the V5 keypad firmware.

Liam Plybon

Astro-Physics

It’s not just Pollux

Jeffc

> Is the bug in the 4.19 version as well?

Fwiw...
I looked in my other keypad which I just re-loaded the DB (after a battery change) about a week back with (iirc) 4.19.3. (this is a keypad for a CP3/CP4).
Pollux looked correct.   So I think it might be a bug only in the new keypad.

On Tue, Mar 30, 2021 at 8:32 PM Don Anderson via groups.io <jockey_ca=yahoo.ca@groups.io> wrote:
Liam

Don Anderson

Howdy,

Star in Database:

Coordinates go to:

PolarisA

Polis

Polis

Pollux

Pollux

Porrima

Porrima

Praecipua

Praecipu

Algiedi

Liam Plybon

Astro-Physics

It’s not just Pollux

Correct, this is only an issue on V5.001. All other keypads should be fine.

Liam

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> On Behalf Of Jeffc
Sent: Wednesday, March 31, 2021 1:34 AM

> Is the bug in the 4.19 version as well?

Fwiw...

I looked in my other keypad which I just re-loaded the DB (after a battery change) about a week back with (iirc) 4.19.3. (this is a keypad for a CP3/CP4).

Pollux looked correct.   So I think it might be a bug only in the new keypad.

On Tue, Mar 30, 2021 at 8:32 PM Don Anderson via groups.io <jockey_ca=yahoo.ca@groups.io> wrote:

Liam

Don Anderson

Howdy,

Star in Database:

Coordinates go to:

PolarisA

Polis

Polis

Pollux

Pollux

Porrima

Porrima

Praecipua

Praecipu

Algiedi

Liam Plybon

Astro-Physics

It’s not just Pollux