Mach2 making strange sounds when moving to home position

Harold

My Mach2 to it’s making some strange sounds (vibration) when moving to the Home position. It happens in the dec axis moving counter clockwise (north) for the last 15-20 degrees. It will happen with different slew rates I’ve tried both 1200 and 600. It does not happen when I move  the dec axis using the Apcc direction arrows. Only when Apcc is sending the mount to home position. 

Roland Christen

Are you using 12 volt supply or 24?

Rolando

-----Original Message-----
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Sent: Wed, Sep 15, 2021 3:51 pm
Subject: [ap-gto] Mach2 making strange sounds when moving to home position

My Mach2 to it’s making some strange sounds (vibration) when moving to the Home position. It happens in the dec axis moving counter clockwise (north) for the last 15-20 degrees. It will happen with different slew rates I’ve tried both 1200 and 600. It does not happen when I move  the dec axis using the Apcc direction arrows. Only when Apcc is sending the mount to home position. 

--
Roland Christen
Astro-Physics

Roland Christen

In case you didn't see my previous e-mail: What is your power source?

The button rates (xand 1200x) are not the same as the slew rate. The slew rate during a move to Home or to any sky position is normally 1800x when you use a 24 volt supply. Your supply might have insufficient power for that speed. Try setting the slew rate to 1000x and see if the noise goes away.

Roland Christen
Astro-Physics Inc.

Sent: Wed, Sep 15, 2021 3:51 pm
Subject: [ap-gto] Mach2 making strange sounds when moving to home position

--
Roland Christen
Astro-Physics

Harold

Roland, I’m using 24v

Harold

I’m using your 24 V power supply, I redid  the test using 600, 1000 and 1800. It is no longer making the noise. If it happens again I’ll contact you.

Roland Christen

The problem may be unbalance in Dec. If not that, then we may have you slightly back off the Dec motor belt tension. That will fix it for sure, but is a bit more involved for you to do. Shoot me an e-mail if you need to.

Roland

Sent: Wed, Sep 15, 2021 6:59 pm
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] Mach2 making strange sounds when moving to home position

I’m using your 24 V power supply, I redid  the test using 600, 1000 and 1800. It is no longer making the noise. If it happens again I’ll contact you.

--
Roland Christen
Astro-Physics